Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Styling & Electrical > Communications

Communications This forum is for CB & HAM radio, cellphones, PDAs, in-cab computer installations and GPS.

Old 12-29-2011, 02:48 PM   #1
Josh40601

Vehicle Year: 1991/1994ish
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Explorer/Ranger
I use this vehicle for: depleting savings accounts
Josh40601 has a spectacular aura aboutJosh40601 has a spectacular aura about
Default WTF?? 2 CB's and both the same issue... No sound

Alright, so i have had 2 different CBs. One is a Cobra Limited Edition Army version. (I don't know the model number) I bought it brand new in March. It worked great for a while, then suddenly, no sound. People can hear me for miles, but i can't hear anyone. I can litterely be parked right next to someone, and hear their voice over the CB. The CB in the Ex is now doing the same thing. Others can hear me just fine, but i have nothing.

I also know little to nothing about tuning, setting these things up, or anything. Just know how to change the channel, turn it on, and turn the volume up and down and push the button. Other than that, oblivious. This may be where my problem started....

I don't know, but i am putting the Military Cobra in the Ex, which has a whip atenna that looks like it scratches the sky, and keeping the old one that was in the truck for a backup.

Any help / guidence would be great. I did find that thread talking about the video that will help you first setup the CB. I am going to follow those instructions tonight when i put the CB in the truck.

Hope you guys can help

Wildcat Offroad & Performance - Buy your parts from me!
Josh40601 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-29-2011, 06:22 PM   #2
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all

Sounds like the return loop for the speaker in the microphone might be open (broken wire in the plug maybe). Do you have another mic you can try?

Other possibility is the speaker itself went bad... Maybe see if an extension speaker works on it.

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-29-2011, 07:00 PM   #3
disciplerocks
July 2011 OTOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Bronco II XLT
I use this vehicle for: the rippin and the tearin
disciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to beholddisciplerocks is a splendid one to behold

I had that problem, but opposite. I could hear people, but they couldn't hear me. Turned out to be the antenna not grounded well.
12 Focus SE: Sport & Winter Package, ST Front End
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Ford says (about towing not masterbation) "Don't do that!"
disciplerocks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2011, 05:06 PM   #4
LIMA BEAN

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger SXY
I use this vehicle for: Doing dirty deed's dirt cheap.
LIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond reputeLIMA BEAN has a reputation beyond repute

If you are talking about the video I posted make sure to read through their resources section also, lots of good info.

http://www.rightchannelradios.com/pa...-pv-c0-20.html

"You have come to take our evil black guns? heh heh be right with ya there mister."
LIMA BEAN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 10:38 AM   #5
02RangerXLT

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold

Make sure your mic is screwed in all the way? Some how mine gradually works its way out sometimes...
Huked on fonikz workded good fer me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5L_STX View Post
meh, :kicks dirt: :walks away:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrian222 View Post
Somewhere, a village in Kenya is missing its idiot.
02RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-31-2011, 05:06 PM   #6
Josh40601

i have the same issue with both CB's. One is brand new, one is old. It is the same when using the external speaker as using the internal one. No sound on my end. Checked the Coax all the way from the cb to the antenna and there were no problems. Could this be due to settings or wiring? I know both CB's are good, i know both Mics are good. I also know that both antennas are good. So that leaves settings and wiring to blame....

Old 01-01-2012, 09:47 AM   #7
02RangerXLT

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: Ranger
02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold02RangerXLT is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40601 View Post
i have the same issue with both CB's. One is brand new, one is old. It is the same when using the external speaker as using the internal one. No sound on my end. Checked the Coax all the way from the cb to the antenna and there were no problems. Could this be due to settings or wiring? I know both CB's are good, i know both Mics are good. I also know that both antennas are good. So that leaves settings and wiring to blame....
Opened them up and looked at all the connections?
Huked on fonikz workded good fer me!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7.5L_STX View Post
meh, :kicks dirt: :walks away:
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrbrian222 View Post
Somewhere, a village in Kenya is missing its idiot.
02RangerXLT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2012, 03:40 PM   #8
Spott

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab
Spott has a spectacular aura aboutSpott has a spectacular aura about

Quote:
Originally Posted by Josh40601 View Post
If both CB's are good, and both mics are good, and both antennas are good, then you've got no problems, right?

Obviously something's wrong. Don't assume that the mics are good, until you check them. There are parts of the microphone that do more than just pickup your voice. One thing that the mic controls is turning off the speaker when you hit the PTT button. If that circuit is goofed up, it could easily be causing your problems.

Settings and wiring shouldn't be a problem. Settings won't change on their own, so if it worked last week, and you haven't changed any settings, then the settings won't cause it to stop working this week. Wiring is simple, you have power, ground, and antenna. If one of those 3 isn't working, it has nothing to do with the speaker.

Therefore, there are two likely causes to your speaker problem. Either the mic (or the mic cable) has a problem, or the CB unit itself is broken internally. I'd investigate the mic and mic cable first, if I were you.

Spott
Old 01-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #9
Josh40601

today i used the Old school one that is wired up to plug into the cigarette lighter. i could wiggle the wires around and the speaker would come in and out. I definitely think this one is jacked up.

As for the Cobra, I will go with what you guys say, as i said, i am new to these things, you guys seem to know WTH you're talking about, so i will wire the Cobra into the Ex this week, and check the mic. I will post up what happens this week.

Thanks guys.

I wasn't trying to sound rude, just annoyed these suckers are not working the way i would intend them to.

Most importantly.....

THANKS FOR ALL YOUR HELP!!!!