Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Events - Recreation - Survival > Hunting, Fishing, Weapons & Survival

Hunting, Fishing, Weapons & Survival Discussing everything from equipment to what you caught.

Old 11-16-2011, 08:21 AM   #1
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Vehicle Year: 1983 & 1996
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Dedicated trail rig!
My credo: Happy wife, happy life.
Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute
Talking Bugging Out / Survival

I don't know if we've ever hit on this subject directly, but it's gained my curiosity lately.

I see more interest in preparedness and survival, and you can find stuff online that discusses preparing for anything from natural disasters, terrorism, war, and zombies (This better not turn in to a stupid zombie thread ).

Actually, this is a good time of year to discuss this because we're going in to winter, and it can be a time when you're most likely to have to deal with being prepared and surviving.

So here are the areas for discussion:

1) Home preparedness (food, water, heat, electric)
2) Vehicle preparedness (equipment, setup, supplies)
3) The perfect survival/bug-out vehicle (mini, fullsize, pickup, suv, other)

Discuss:

Vote For TRS In Top 4x4 Sites

Last edited by Jim Oaks; 11-16-2011 at 08:24 AM.
Jim Oaks is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 11-16-2011, 08:41 AM   #2
doorgunner
Lab Rat for V.A. hospital

Vehicle Year: 1936/1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: FUN on a daily basis!
doorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond reputedoorgunner has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oaks View Post
I don't know if we've ever hit on this subject directly, but it's gained my curiosity lately.

I see more interest in preparedness and survival, and you can find stuff online that discusses preparing for anything from natural disasters, terrorism, war, and zombies (This better not turn in to a stupid zombie thread ). +1...no zombie post please...LOL

Actually, this is a good time of year to discuss this because we're going in to winter, and it can be a time when you're most likely to have to deal with being prepared and surviving. Here in Loo-z-anna, we stock a month;s supply of everything (gasoline too) up before Hurricane season starts

So here are the areas for discussion:

1) Home preparedness (food, water, heat, electric)
2) Vehicle preparedness (equipment, setup, supplies)
3) The perfect survival/bug-out vehicle (mini, fullsize, pickup, suv, other)

Discuss:
Having been in combat, I realize I can't prepare for everything (I gotta rely on God for 1 or two things). I have the usual camping supplies/hunting supplies (you can never have too much ammo...but from being in war--I also realize that you will NEVER have ENUFF ammo). I believe with the political fools/climate...a 6 month supply of food/water won't be enuff...I'm working on a years supply of food/chlorine tablets for water treatment...and God for the 1 or 2 other things...(I may have to camo my little red Ranger...LOL)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
(Condensed Version) I have determined that every last Automotive Engineer is an atheist.......it is quite apparent that not a single one believes in intelligent design.
*****All the people who's freedom of speech I fought to defend are now telling me to shut up*****

The Congress who issued me a Machine Gun to kill as many of THEIR enemies as possible now wants my Winchester Model 1894 because I have PTSD!
doorgunner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 08:56 AM   #3
snake

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: The mighty Ranger
I use this vehicle for: cruising for chicks
snake is on a distinguished road

Personally I bought one of those "food for a year" kits from costco, sams has 'em too. They go on sale periodically so u can get them relatively cheap. Most of it is supposed to last 25 years or so. Bought some silver (physical) and have gold and silver thru a broker. Bought 20 gallons of pure gas (no alcohol) from a mower shop in 5 gal cans for the generator, they're supposed to last years. Also been stocking up on ammo... considering doing a windmill for electricity but they're at least 25K... good payback tho. Nice subject, bound to get a lot of responses.
2002 XLT in wedgewood blue, 4.0 auto, 4 doors (no waiting) MP3, 3:55 limited slip rear, payload package, factory installed trailer hitch, side step bars. Built 7/31/2002, shipped 8/19/2002, purchased 9/25/2002 sold 8/2011.

2011 F-150 crewcab ecoboost twin turbo. Purchased 7/13/2011
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:23 AM   #4
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: a chicken house
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

If civilization collapses, there is no survival for an indiviual. You will have to organize a micro civilization to survive. As in Lucifer's Hammer, you will need to stock up on knowledge so you can plant/raise food, build things, organize defense and law within your community. You won't make it long by stocking up ammo with the plan of stealing food and fuel after your year of stores run out. If you are really worried about the collapse of society, organize now, find a site to retreat to, and set up your vehicle for the trip there. Someone who owns 500 acres, for instance, would be a perfect place to start. Put in a generator, store soybeans to plant a future fuel crop, clear land for fields and pastures, plant fast-growing trees for winter fuel, organize a hierarchy.

The perfect escape vehicle is a schoolbus with a woodstove in it. You can stop along the way and pick up scraps of anything to burn for heat and cooking. It's sturdy enough to survive the Road Warrior scenes you will encounter on the highways on the way to you sanctuary, large enough to carry lots of people and gear, tow another vehicle or trailer, and you can live in it when you get there.

Population will be key. The few will be over-run by the many, so contrary to popular thoguht that individuals will have a better chance, you will need to start gathering a web of people for your future community. You need soldiers, farmers, laborers and people with brains and equipment.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 09:26 AM   #5
daniel3507

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: truckin around
daniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant futuredaniel3507 has a brilliant future

Ive been interested in this for some time. There are some great websites out there with good information. Ive always heard that older vehicles that arent computer based are the best for a bug-out vehicle. 4wd of course. I keep a small bag in my truck with lighters, food, water, an emergency blanket and some other things. One of those just in case things. If anyone is looking for good books on the subject you need to read a book called Patriots: Surviving the Coming Collapse by James Wesley Rawles. Its a fiction book that reads almost like a manual on bugging out. One of my favorite books of all time is called One Second After by William R. Forstchen. It really opens your eyes and makes you think. I highly recommend this one.
Show Off Thread
Build Thread (click)
1993 Ranger XLT 4.0, 20% tint, 2'' spacers, RS9000XL adjustable front shocks, Bilstein rear shocks, 4.10 gears, 31'' tires, 15'' Alcoa's, custom front shackles, Lvl II rear tow hook, 2.25'' exhaust w/ Super 44, Screamin' Demon coil pack, slotted rotors w/ EBC Greenstuff, Delta Cam rockers and pushrods
daniel3507 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:00 AM   #6
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

Jim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond reputeJim Oaks has a reputation beyond repute

One of my fears would be an EMP (Electro-Magentic Pulse) strike. It could come from either a nuclear bomb going off, or an EMP bomb. I would be more concerned of a terrorist attack involving an EMP bomb.

There is some conflicting opinions as to whether or not newer vehicles would run after an EMP. Some think the fact that the electronics are in a metal vehicle insulated by tires that it would survive. My F150 might not survive an EMP, but the V8 in the Bronco II uses a duraspark ignition, but could probably be converted to points with a points distributor quickly. May even be able to just keep a replacement ignition module in a cardboard box wrapped in foil.

So far I think Wills reply is the most eye opening for long term situations. We all belong to an online community, but how many of us are friends with a large group of people right around us that we know, trust, and could depend on?

Old 11-16-2011, 10:03 AM   #7
cody93

Vehicle Year: 1987,1987
Vehicle Make: FORD, duh
Vehicle Model: rANGER x2
I use this vehicle for: scaring yuppies on the interstate
cody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud of

i have a spring that puts out a million gallons a day so im planning on setting up a hydro-electric generator, grow my own veggies and fruits and if i need fuel, id go ask the local moonshiners on how to make 190 proof alcohol.

as for vehicles, im betting on terrorism and war out breaking with the use of nukes or EMP attacks. i heard one EMP burst from a terrorist attack over the USA can kill our power/communication grids and screw up sesitive electronics.. that could mean the ECM in a vehicle can get toasted...

lucky for me, the 2.3 in my truck was also used in 74 pintos that used a points style ignition and carburator. so i'll probly grab those parts if i come across them, just incase.

although for long long term survival, the most bullet proof engines are domestic I6s like the ford 200/250/240/300, the dodge slant sixes and GM 250/292, im looking for an old truck with a I6 for dirt cheap just incase... and another gen1 ranger to shoehorn a slant 6 into.

next is tires, with no one maintaining roads, tires wont last as long. i'll probly have 5-8 sets mounted on rims to last a while, since i'll be driving on roads most the time, i'll will use factory sized tires and save the offroad work for a different vehicle. i have 8ply tires mounted on my truck too. if all else fails, i would probly end up with tires filled with expanding foam to keep them from blow outs, wont ride good though..

next is fuel, gasoline wont last forever so its a good idea to know how to make your own fuel.. cause im lazy, ima stick to gasoline powered engines, as 80% of you guys know, engines are airpumps and gas powered engines run on vaporized fuel, that means it could run on alot of vapor gases. such fuel sources can be 180-190 proof alcohol, methane gas or even wood gas. you'll have to google how to make it your self though, its complicated..

lastly, im gona talk about weapons, you'll need a wide variety to make the most of it.
first, bow and arrow, why? simple, its quiet and arrows can be reused or even made from scratch.

next, small caliber riffle like a 22LR, why? ammo is so cheap to stock pile thousands and thousands of rounds, although not a powerfull round, it can be used for killing small game, lets face it, your not gona shoot a 7.62 AK47 round at a squirel... yea, i know, squirel, better than eating treebark i guess..
a shotgun with a few thousand rounds, good general purpose gun and excellent for self defense
fairly large caliber riffle witha scope, why? not only will you eventually get sick of eating squirel and want to take down a buck and make some bambi burgers, you can see people coming from a ways away while hiding safely and if need be, you can take them out. .308, 7mm, 30-06 etc are good rounds.

next is a semi/fully auto riffle with around 10000 rounds, guns like mini-30/14s/ar-15s/AK-47 and clones etc are good, personally i like 7.62 for medium rage combat agaist raiders, but .233s tend to be more acurate.. do i realy need to tell you why you need one?

lastly, a handgun or 2, mabey one large one like a 1911 and a small one that can be hid on you, like a 9mm or .380

remeber, you best chance of survival is with friends and family, have a plan well everyone knows were to meet up incase sh1t happens.. also, have a place were you can defend too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Once upon a time it was financially practical to ship dirty laundry to China to have it washed rather than wash it in San Francisco.

Last edited by cody93; 11-16-2011 at 10:18 AM.
cody93 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 10:37 AM   #8
Jim Oaks
Building another truck

I forgot to mention that older diesels that have a mechanical pump and don't use an electronic ignition would still run after an EMP.

Just as a reminder: This was Chicago last year:

I think size is an issue when it comes to vehicles and bugging out.

I like the midsize trucks for offroading. They'll go more places and get through smaller spaces. They could probably get through traffic better as well. But I don't know if I'd want one on the highway if things turned bad and it became more of a personal security issue. A large 4x4 vehicle could push stuff out of its way, be sturdier, and harder to stop.

This would be cool, except with an enclosed section on the back instead of a tarp.

Last edited by Jim Oaks; 11-16-2011 at 10:51 AM.
Old 11-16-2011, 10:55 AM   #9
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Oaks View Post
My F150 might not survive an EMP, but the V8 in the Bronco II uses a duraspark ignition, but could probably be converted to points with a points distributor quickly.
What would an EMP blast do to a coil though?

It would be a very tough time (interesting from afar) because without todays modern farming methods this hunk of dirt will not support nearly as many people that are on it. There are enough people with guns to wipe out most if not all of the wildlife (heck we had a decent start going by the mid 1900's)

Don't bother storing gas long term, it will not last no matter what the alcohol content.

IMO even if you do everything right, there are a lot of people out there that will shoot you in the back to take it... it won't last forever.

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-16-2011, 11:08 AM   #10
cody93

Vehicle Year: 1987,1987
Vehicle Make: FORD, duh
Vehicle Model: rANGER x2
I use this vehicle for: scaring yuppies on the interstate
cody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud ofcody93 has much to be proud of

i think coils and electric motors would be ok, or fair better than an unprotected computer. people who plan on surviving should know how to grow there own food, i too dont think all the people could be fed with wild animals, hate to say it, but the human population has gotten to large for earth to sustain it without farming... although most people live in cities and they will be boned and probly wont be able to escape.. well lets not go there...
Quote:
Originally Posted by AllanD View Post
Once upon a time it was financially practical to ship dirty laundry to China to have it washed rather than wash it in San Francisco.
cody93 is offline   Reply With Quote