Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 07-07-2011, 01:34 PM   #1
DougInNJ

DougInNJ is on a distinguished road
Default R12 or 134a ?????

I have an '89 Ford Ranger. Hod can I tell if it has the original R12 or if it has been converted to 134a?
Thanks
DougInNJ
DougInNJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 07-07-2011, 01:38 PM   #2
exbass94

Vehicle Year: 2006, 1994
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Explorer
I use this vehicle for: Pavement Poundin'
exbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really niceexbass94 is just really nice

Usually when someone converts a vehicle to r134a, they put a sticker somewhere under the hood saying so. Usually it's on the radiator support. Also the service ports used for R-12 are a different size than R134a fittings. So if it has R134a, it should have adaptor fittings screwed on the service ports.
1994 Ford Bronco XLT (project)
exbass94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:39 PM   #3
sblake01

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Ranger EDGE Sonic Blue Pearl
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver
sblake01 is on a distinguished road

You might have to take it to an A/C shop that has a refrigerant identifier. If it was 'professionally' converted it would have R134a adapters on the high and low side ports and a tag somewhere under the hood.

EDIT: xbass94 types faster than I do
2010 Mercedes C300 AMG Sportline
Retired HVAC/MVAC Tech
sblake01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 01:47 PM   #4
DougInNJ

Thank you for responding, I'll check it out.
Man its hot here 94*!
Old 07-07-2011, 01:59 PM   #5
noahkenny

Vehicle Year: 1989 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger
noahkenny will become famous soon enough

The service ports should be a dead give away if it has been converted. You can tell the difference just by looking at them. R12 fittings had threads on them where you screw on a set of gauges and the 134 fittings the gauges simply snap on to the service ports, no threads would be present on the externally. Only internally where the shrader vavle screws in. More than likely it had been converted. Been working on a/c systems for a long time and its been a few years since I actually seen a working r12 system. Not saying they arent still around but they are few and far between. I have an 89 model also that has converted about 10 years ago. If the hoses havent been changed to barrier lined (134a) hoses then you will lose 134a though the hoses as it permeates (goes through) the rubber. Really no big deal but it will lose somewhere in the neighbor hood of a can a year. Hopefully it has been converted. But even 134a prices have went up dramitcally over the last two years or so. Guarentee your evaporator coil will have a bunch of trash in it. Just remove the blower motor and the blower motor resistor and you can see up in there and dig that crap out. Then either blow it out or wash it out with water. Seeing that the truck is 22 years old cleaning the coil will help it dramitcally once you get the rest of the system in good working order. Not a bad idea to look between the condenser and the radiator to make sure its not packed up with a bunch of crap also over the years. Ever little bit help when it is this stinking hot.

Last edited by noahkenny; 07-07-2011 at 02:04 PM.
noahkenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 03:34 PM   #6
DougInNJ

Thank you NoahKenny
I'll check it out
Old 07-07-2011, 03:53 PM   #7
4.0B2
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Taking my Money
4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute4.0B2 has a reputation beyond repute

problem w/ that is-- it could be converted without leaving the adapters on the service ports. when i got that ranger i sold, it had r12 ports.. i checked it to see before i filled it and it was r134a in it. turns out the guy leaves the adapters w/ his gauges and doesn't leave them on the vehicles. his old 83 ford fullsize is the same way.

sad, but people do it. usually if its been converted, the ports are correct for the freon
4.0B2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:46 PM   #8
Heavyfire14

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: F150
I use this vehicle for: DD/Fun
Heavyfire14 is a jewel in the roughHeavyfire14 is a jewel in the roughHeavyfire14 is a jewel in the roughHeavyfire14 is a jewel in the rough

yea, i had an 89 that was converted. it had the r12 ports and no sticker... you never know unless you take it in
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_Eddie View Post
yeah it does. my wife and i have a 15th century battle axe suspended over our bed with it

2002 mazda b2300 ext. Cab 2.3l 5 speed

Build Thread
Heavyfire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:49 PM   #9
Heavyfire14

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: F150
I use this vehicle for: DD/Fun
Heavyfire14 is a jewel in the roughHeavyfire14 is a jewel in the roughHeavyfire14 is a jewel in the roughHeavyfire14 is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by DougInNJ View Post
Man its hot here 94*!
hahahahaha i drive with my windows down at 94, man your lucky. its been 110-115 here lately and gets over 120* F. sometimes. haha and im usually outside all day
Quote:
Originally Posted by 88_Eddie View Post
yeah it does. my wife and i have a 15th century battle axe suspended over our bed with it

2002 mazda b2300 ext. Cab 2.3l 5 speed

Build Thread
Heavyfire14 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-07-2011, 04:51 PM   #10
noahkenny

Vehicle Year: 1989 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger
noahkenny will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4.0B2 View Post
problem w/ that is-- it could be converted without leaving the adapters on the service ports. when i got that ranger i sold, it had r12 ports.. i checked it to see before i filled it and it was r134a in it. turns out the guy leaves the adapters w/ his gauges and doesn't leave them on the vehicles. his old 83 ford fullsize is the same way.

sad, but people do it. usually if its been converted, the ports are correct for the freon
I agree that does happen but if the conversion was done right it shouldnt be a problem. It takes someone stupid to take off the conversion fittings. A lot of them had loctite in them and would tear the threads off the orginal ports if you tried to remove them. Have run across it once or twice but as a whole its usually not a problem. The chances of a 22 year old truck still having r12 are pretty slim..
noahkenny is offline   Reply With Quote