• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

custom v8 ranger build

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so heres my build so far started out as a 84 ranger and has evolved to muck more. the motor is a 95 mustang 5.0 that hasbeeen rebuilt, had the heads ported by my dad, cam installed, roller rockers adn a eatonm90 blower off of a supercoupe that was ported out by magnum powers.
View attachment 5412
View attachment 5413

the blower we got was ported and had coated rotrs installed by magnum powers and is valued at 1500 dollars
View attachment 5422

we had to build a custom pully to run the blower off a differet belt and then a custom spacer out of alluminum
View attachment 5421

My dad and i went to a local wrecking yard and piced up a frame so i could start working on it while still driving my truck adn we also picked up a dana 35 and a 8.8 with 3.73 and posi out of a explorer and i found a set of eagle alloy rims and bridgstone dueler tires for 400 bucks out at the wrecking yard to
View attachment 5420
View attachment 5419

so the next step was my shock buckets i went out to the wrecking yard and cut off some dual shock buckets off of a full size bronco and customized the driver side to fit my frame
View attachment 5415
with shocks and u can also see the custom lower shock mounts? sway bar mounts i had to build
View attachment 5414
to make the dual shocks work i had to lengthen the sway bar 6 inches (hanging up getting painted)

View attachment 5423

the next thing i got was a 33 gasllon gas tank out of a fullsize bronco that was brand new from the wrecking yard still in the box too! decided to mount it under the bed
View attachment 5418

some pics of the cab, bed and fenders sitting on the frame
View attachment 5416
custom front end
View attachment 5417

nuclassic

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Lookin good so far man, helluva engine

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
oh dang.. i'm subscribed!

jhammel85

Very good so far man. Are you swapping the front end to a 89-92 second gen?

t120r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I love the gas tank. How did you fit it? I'm debating a rear mount tank. Either that or spending hours and hours fabricating a funky dual exhaust around the stock tank.

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Jhammel85 yes I have a dana 35 out of a 91 explorer and t120r it was a tight fit ill take some pics on how its mounted its also a 90 fullsize bronco had to trim some on tank and the frame

t120r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'd love to see pics of that tank. I'm 50/50 of going with a fuel cell. It would be a lot nice to have a 'stock' tank that I could weld the aeromotive sump to.

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ok so here's the gas tank picks I didnt get the pic of the.bottom of the bed but I have a two inch body lift but I had to cut out one of the cross supports to make the tank sit high enough and had to make two inch lift pieces to fit around the tank also u will need to notch the frame out a half inch each side and we boxed it in to add strength

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
so here are the pics of the gas tank. my buil di had a two inch body lift but i still had to cut one of the ross members on the bottom of the bed off witch as no big deal because i just boxed in where the bolt went in and u also have to notch the frame 1/2 inch on each side and we also boxed that in as well to add strength we used the stock skid plate off the bronco so i got rid of th eold piece of metal that held the frame together on the back and welden in a chunk of c channel with a chunck of angle iron for the skid plate to mount on
View attachment 5448
and the frame notched out
View attachment 5449
then the front bracket is also a angle iron that is notched out for the schock to clear
View attachment 5450
then the mounts i built for the bed
View attachment 5447
it was a fairly easy build once the idea came about

now just some pics of my front clif my dad is fitting the intercooler which is out of a turboed f350 so its HUGE
View attachment 5454
getting the gaps right to weld on the core support
View attachment 5452

hope hose pics help you decide on your fate lol

t120r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Good job on the tank. Nice clean install. I think I will be going with a 16 gallon fuel cell. Will work nicely with my aeromotive pump.

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Ya im running a 250 walboro my dad just installed it

t120r

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have the same walbro intank pump. Flows 255LPH. Great pump, just can't feed my 600HP big block at 65psi. That's why I went with aeromotive. -10 lines to the engine -8 returning to the tank. The intank pumps just don't cut it until you get into dual pump setups and that's a pain. One on the frame rail and forget it.

85_Ranger4x4

Forum Staff Member
TRS Event Staff
TRS Forum Moderator
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

If those are the stock '94-95 Mustang headers they will not fit without hacking the crap out of your frame. I tried, that passenger side aims straight at it. Hedman 88400's fit really nice and are similar in design but have bigger tubes. Summit has them for $160, I have had them for about 6 months and really like them, since you are boosted you will probably enjoy the bigger tubes too. The dipstick takes some wrangling because it has to go through the header, I used a Lokar one.

http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=95640&highlight=header

Out of curiosity what are the specs on the engine? (bore, pistons, cam, rockers...)

Last edited:

v8-ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
84/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Im not running stock headers because those are the gt40p heads so they hit the spark plugs so the heddmans wont fit too so i had to get some specific for the p heads they make like one kind for them. Well they have the torque monsters which im not a fan of they look funny but then i still had to hack both sides to make them fit the pass side had to have the colecter cut off then angled slightly to fit inside the frame and the driver side hit the steering linkage so we had to cut the front two pipes off and bring them closer to the motor the motor is a 95 mustang 5.0 the block is all stock but the heads are off the explorer and have been ported and machined and i put on roller tip rockers 1.7 ratio witu a set of new springs and a stage two trick flow cam and then the lower intake was ported and my dad built the upper intake to accomidate the eaton m90 blower we got mounted nothing fancy really

nb11

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Yall got nice junkyards. All of those parts look new.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals