• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Need input for resealing intake manifold

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
I've got a vacuum leak and need to redo my intake manifold gaskets. My question is, should I use any sealant around the intake and water ports and if so, what do you recommend for sealant? RTV would work fine for the water ports but any sealant around the intake ports would need to be fuel resistant. I'm using Fel-pro gaskets and the ports are already rubber-coated but I want to make sure I get a good seal as well as making sure the gaskets stay in place as I'm mounting the manifold. I think when I originally installed the manifold several years ago after engine replacement one of the gaskets slipped a little bit as I lowered the manifold on to the heads. Any input?

Thanks, Steve

P.S. It's been a long time since I was on this forum. Hello again.

michowski

Reaction score
Get brand new gaskets, and put a thin bead of rtv around the entire mating surface between the 2. Torque the bolts down and your good to go.

enginepaul

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1995, 2001, 200
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I've been told that Felpro doesn't need sealant, but I always put a thin coat on anyway.
As for the alignment, I think the engine tool kit (Rotunda) has alignment studs in it. I have the kit, but I don't think I used the studs on either engine I did so if you are careful, it shouldn't be a problem. (I did both mine on a stand)

trents

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.8 Durasparked, Stage 1 RV cam, block "0" decked, 350cfm Motorcraft 2150
Transmission
Manual
Concerning the comment about the studs used to hold the gaskets in place. Some guys just make their own by sawing off the heads of bolts the same diameter and thread as the intake bolts but longer. Then you put a couple in on each side and slip the gaskets and manifold over them. Install a couple of the intake bolts, remove the studs and then install the rest of the intake bolts. This sounds like a great idea but do the intake gaskets on this application (2.8 L) overlap the bolt pattern? Doe anybody know? If so, I'd like to make the studs ahead of time.

Steve

michowski

Reaction score
there is really no need to go cutting up screws and giving yourself an hour more work when its not needed. Easiest way to keep the gasket in place is put the rtv directly on the block, put the gasket on it with all the wholes lined up and that will keep it in place. Then when you go to put the intake plenum back on just drop it straight down and start putting screws through it.

mkpecor

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger 4x4
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i was told to do the 4 corners with rvt on the intake thats were it would leak, iv never done the whole intake just the 4 corners and the front and back not the sides

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals