• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Matt's Bronco II build

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Alright I figured its about time to introduce the truck, and start a build thread.

I started with a 1988 Bronco II, bought for $500 in May 2009. Wheeled it a few times, but the clutch was going out, and I blew it quickly... Also destroyed a hanger, which in turn blew out the back two body mounts when the suspension started resting on the bottom of the body. Spent $300 on some mediocre used 31" tires.

Finally have the funds to fix it up back in January, and so I start looking at putting a body lift on it, and realize both rear body mounts were absolutely trashed. Had blown holes in the rusting frame. As I have no experience in welding, and the truck already needed a new clutch, I said F*** it, replacing the truck.

So I have replaced the truck. Another $500 Bronco II. This time its a 1989. Its from America, and has a 5-digit speedo so I really have no idea how far it has traveled, but it reads 14xxx miles.

The interior is immaculate. The frame is also in immaculate shape. The only place there is any rust is at the back edge of the front fenders, where the running boards meet the wheel well. The tranny is in rough shape, stupid auto, but my girlfriend needs to learn to drive, so sadly even if I replace that it will stay an auto... And the engine and exhaust both could use a bit of work, but for $500 Im still very excited.

Right now, I am busy tearing apart the old truck at a friends house, in his carport. I have pulled the whole top of the engine apart, as well as stripped the other useful crap out from under the hood (power steering, alternator, ect) Somebody stole the radiator and tranny cooler that was leaning against the fence... That pissed me off, even though I didn't have any plan for them.

The whole back axle has been ripped out, and the front axle is held in with only the axle pivot bolts right now... Almost there. After that, I have to rip the doors off, pull the driveshafts, and then get the scrap hauled away...

And then the building begins!

This Saturday, I am going out to the wrecker in search of Explorer coils, and some Ranger 4x4 blocks.

Although both sets of axles are the same, d28 and 7.5", the old truck has 4.10 gears, new one is 3.73... So my plan is to rebuild the axles I have out of the old truck, weld the back, and then putting them under the new truck when I replace the leafs and get drop brackets.

So the current plan is to put the explorer coils and ranger blocks in immediately, so my 31s will fit again, and run her like that for a bit. (not trimming the fenders on this one, at least not til shes been beat up some.) Got to rip out the sway bars too... Once I have the axles rebuilt, and money for drop brackets I will be looking at getting custom radius arms and probably new tranny crossmember/rad arm mounts. I can't weld, but friends can, and I plan on learning when I can afford a welder (two friends are welders by trade) At that point I will also put in explorer leafs and belltech 6400 shackles, maybe add-a-leafs too. Will also be putting in EB 3.5" lift springs probably... Maybe some jeep coils... Not really sure yet.

Right now, I am faced with the problem of naming my truck. Im completely stumped. I want something that says 4x4 truck, but "the Bronco" is just weak... Any ideas? Thanks.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Okay a tiny bit of progress has been made.
I made it out to the wrecker, where it was snowing all day... got me some Ranger lift blocks, 4.0 Ranger coils, and explorer leafs. Also got a welder friend to weld up some washers for a spacer. Total cost - $68. Awesome.

There is a bunch of snow on the ground today, and the only places I have to work on my trucks is outside... So work will have to wait at least another day.

Hoping to get the front axle (only held in by hinge bolts at this point) off the old truck, then I need to pull the driveshafts, and get it scrapped. After that, it is time to tear down the old rear axle and get the carrier welded up... Once I get that done, hopefully this week some time, it becomes time to start building the new truck up!

My alignment and steering geometry is going to be hella-screwed at first, I have to source a cheap drop pitman arm from somewhere, and then take it into to my alignment guy and get new camber bushings, which still might not be enough (No drop brackets yet)...

Can't wait for this snow to melt (overnight probably. Its supposed to rain and be warmer, shouldn't be here long.) to actually get some work done.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The old truck is all gone.

Here she goes on the truck...

School is catching up with me this week, not getting any work done on the truck... Hopefully doing the back axle swap in one or two weekends. Doing the lift on the back end at that time as well, then the weekend after that I will have to attend to the front end.

I got some seafoam, transtune, and new plugs/air filter. Was going to put all that stuff in over the next few days, as I try to tune it up a bit. I also have to inspect the condition of the distributor and wires, See how thats doing.

Last edited:

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Cheap Lights.

Everything has been put on hold while I wait on parts to be shipped. Ended up going a different route for the front end, and actually got some drop brackets and lift coils. Going to pick up the brackets from Point Roberts today, but the coils havn't even hit the mailbox yet, I dont think...

I picked up some cheap lights at Princess Auto the other day.Two pairs of lights, complete with a switch and wiring was under $18. The wiring has nice quick-connect ends to it and everything, should be a snap to install them. Still havn't deceided where I am going to put them. I have a feeling they will be drilled into the stock bumper until I replace it.

The lights are nothing special, but the price was right. Hell, $18 isn't a bad price for just the wiring. Im going to use these crappy lights for a while, then when I get some good lights for up front, move a pair to the back of my truck.

http://www.princessauto.com/surplus/electrical/miscellaneous-lighting/8006386-glo-fx-driving-lights

This is all for now... Maybe I will get out and tinker with under the hood today, if this damn rain goes away. Still need to seafoam it, then do the plugs, and inspect pretty much everything else.

White94Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
cool bronco II, nice to see another lower mainland guy here.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Been a while since I posted anything here, so I might as well update.

I just replaced the valve cover gaskets. Ended up pulling the Blower housing off and modifying it while I was there, it just took up too much space. All it took was a reciprocating saw, a piece of sheet metal (ended up using the side of a computer case, cause it was free) and some dollar store epoxy. Still need to fire it up tomorrow and give the engine a good flush and oil change.

Put a new hose clamp on one end of the line between the top of the rad and the coolant reservoir - the reservoir always leaked 'cause it only had some wire holding the hose before.

Hopefully, it'll run nicely tomorrow so I can go and flush the crap out of it, then start installing the lift brackets I bought like 2 years ago.

Surrey

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Shes alive!

All done with draining the oil, refilling it, flushing the engine, and draining it again.

She runs as good as she ever did, but there is something funny with the cooling system right now. The needle goes up and down as it tries to heat up... Might just be some air in the system, so I'll see if it works its way out or if this is a persistent problem that requires a new thermostat or something.

FINALLY started on getting my lift going. So far, all I have done is lift the front end, put jack stands under it, remove the tires, and start removing the front sway bar.

Tomorrow, the sway bar comes out. Hopefully I have time for more than that, but I have to put new tires on the van tomorrow night, after I pick them up from a friend.

Haven't taken any pictures of the progress so far, but I'll get some tomorrow...

alwaysFlOoReD

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'91, '80, '06
Make / Model
Ford, GMC,Dodge
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Yep, I know all about long time between posts....at least you're still working on it.
Good luck,

Richard

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals