• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

D35 abs?

motopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
This might be a dumb question but... I'm swapping a 93 D35 into my 89. I want to install a locker, but from what I understand the ABS and nonABS carriers are different sizes. So my question is how do I know if it's ABS or not?

Explorin94

Law Enforcement
Firefighter
EMT / Paramedic
U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
There is no difference with the carriers. The ABS sensors are in the knuckles not the carrier.

motopete

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
So what are they talking about?

Will fit Non-ABS (Anti-lock brake) carriers (mine is an ABS carrier). For whatever reason Ford decided to make the hub diameter on the spider gears juuust slightly smaller. The worst part is, sometimes ABS vs Non-ABS, the carriers still got swapped
wait so the ABS carrier on a d35 is smaller?
that would explain why the guy who tried to set up this same locker for me said it wouldn't fit... I thought he was lying.
Well the carrier isn't smaller (technically it's bigger) so the hubs that slide into the carrier won't fit. it's not by much, so there's no telling by looking. The spider gears are the only difference, otherwise things are exactly the same.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I had this problem. Thee side gears are a different size by 1/16 of an inch. Both Aussie Locker and Powertrax have two part numbers for a D35, you just have to order the one that "should" work and if it doesn't exchange it for the other one.

I'm not sure how to tell you what you have as I think any D35 can end up with a different carrier. I had an Aussie that didn't fit, so I bought a lock-right (that did) and sold the Aussie to another member, who installed it and it worked fine in his D35.

I ended up with a Lock-right 2311 (which is not the "common one" that is listed for the RBV D35....the common one is the 2310). The 2311 is the one listed for most Jeep applications. For whatever reason my truck got the carrier that has the smaller side hubs.

The Aussie I bought was listed for my year vehicle, but the locker did not work. However I am almost absolutely positive the other part number for Jeep rear D35's would have worked as a substitute.

Like I said, both companies have two part numbers for the D35...

Last edited:

Sasquatch_Ryda

Ford Technician
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
Solid Axle Swap 4x4
Tire Size
40s
I bought your Aussie right?

I had previously tried to install a lockright (few years back, can't remember the part number) and it didn't fit...well it would but it had to room to differentiate.

The Aussie fit no problem.

legoms013

09/2013 OTOTM
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
I bought your Aussie right?

I had previously tried to install a lockright (few years back, can't remember the part number) and it didn't fit...well it would but it had to room to differentiate.

The Aussie fit no problem.
Yes you bought the Aussie that was "too big" for the D35 carrier in my '97.

I bet money the Lock-Rite you tried was a 2311, which has smaller side hub diameters than the Aussie I sold you.

hondaxr650

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know this for sure but could there be a difference between ABS/nonABS REAR D35 carriers like you'd find in a Jeep? It's the only thing that makes any sense to me, since they would have a tone ring on them for ABS.

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
No no, it's the front. It's pretty ridiculous.

The worst part is that there is some cases where ABS carriers got stuffed into non-ABS axles, and vice-versa. The '95 axle I have in my '84 Ranger didn't have any ABS stuff on it, however... (I think this got started due to my for sale thread)

I have no idea why they made the hub diameter smaller on the ABS carriers, but they did. There's really no point to it. It has nothing to do with the tone rings. The spider gear hub diameter is the only difference.

I don't know about the Jeep rear ends. For all I know it might even fit a D35 rear axle. I don't have any carriers to try it out on though.

Last edited:

brianq

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ranger
Transmission
Automatic
So how can i tell if mine is abs or not?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals