Home Ford Ranger Forum Builders Guide How To Tech Other Articles Featured Rangers Readers Rangers Classifieds Shirts & Decals

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions (Not for tech help - Use Help Forums further down) > 1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's

1983-2011 Off-Road & 4x4 Ford Ranger's Show of your trucks, or post your build threads. This is NOT a help forum. Post your questions in the Help Forums further down

View Poll Results: What design should i put on my diff cover
Blue Oval 8 100.00%
A face (gimme more specific ideas) 0 0%
Words (gimme a specific idea) 0 0%
Other (gimme a specific idea) 0 0%
Voters: 8. You may not vote on this poll

Old 01-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #1
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Making money and being broke.
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08
Default Project: Hillbilly Deluxe

Well, unfortunately I don't at this moment have a before pic of my truck. Also don't have many pics of the work I've done so far, but I guess it might just be time to start my build thread.

I know what I want to do, but a lot of you guys have played with this stuff already and already know how some of these things will affect it better than I do, so input and opinions are welcomed.

What I started with:

1987 Ranger XLT super cab, 2.9L FM145, MS BW1350 4x4, manual hubs, vinyl 40/60 split bench.

What I have now:

M5OD, MS BW1354 4x4, one-piece drive-shaft, cloth bucket seats and center console all from a 91 Explorer (except the d-shaft), F-250 roof lights, Midland 5001z CB radio with a 3' Firestik antenna, straight pipes with K-tuned thrush glass pack, Euro style headlights.

EDIT: 2.9L with the most aggressive cam the speed density can handle, WC heads, and a set of headers.

What I want:

4.0L, 8.8 and D-35 upgrades, 4" suspension lift (looking at a rough country setup), 33x12.50x16 BFGs, either A/T of M/T, not sure yet, with 4.11 gears, looking at dual tanks, not sure yet, and a custom fabbed exhaust with dual flowmaster super 44 diamonds and outlets out the back.

For the axles, I was planning to leave the front end open, and grab a Ranger rear end that's been blown up and dump 31 spline Explorer guts in it with a selectable locker for the back. Unless I find an EB 9 inch that is.

I plan for this to be my DD, but I also don't plan to have to drive all that far to work and I don't really plan to use it for anything but driving to work and hitting some trails here and there.

So, thoughts, opinions, advice? I'll get some pics up as soon as I can get them. I also plan on making myself a custom shifter out of a 4.0 piston. I'll be sure to take some pics of that as I do it and get them in here.

Oh also, once she is all done, in the center of the tailgate's black painted section I'm going to either air brush with a stencil, or pin-stripe by hand, "Hillbilly Deluxe" in white.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Doctor
Hunger looks very much like evil from the wrong end of the cutlery.
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.

Last edited by adsm08; 04-07-2011 at 08:07 PM.
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Advertisement - Don't want to see the forum ads? Click HERE to find out how to be a Premium Member.

5% Rock Auto Discount Code: 20B2FF503DCF74 Expires: September 28, 2018
Old 01-16-2010, 09:15 PM   #2
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute

Got the piston for my custom shifter today.

You can see its dirty, and has been used, but the metal looks good, no major carbon deposits, so it shouldn't be hard to clean up.

I'll let it sit in some gas for a day or so and post a new picture after clean up. Then to get it painted up and welded at the angle I want.

Quote:
I like it when things catch fire and explode, which means I do not have your best interests in mind.
Old 01-24-2010, 07:16 PM   #3
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Ok, so after letting it sit in a mix of gas, ATF, and Lucas fuel additive for about a week and then half an hour with a wire scrub brush it looks much better.

Also go it marked out where I want to get it welded in place and get the rod cut off.

Now I just need some paint and an air brush...

Quote:
Old 01-26-2010, 10:05 PM   #4
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

Thinkin' about these rims. Will they fit properly?

http://www.4wheelparts.com/Wheels/AT...2fPAX398589582

Quote:
Old 03-11-2010, 03:57 PM   #5
Original_Ranger84

Vehicle Year: 1984, 1999
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Project, DD
Original_Ranger84 is a jewel in the roughOriginal_Ranger84 is a jewel in the roughOriginal_Ranger84 is a jewel in the rough

Figured I'd chime in on your build thread here... You should totally get a pic of your truck up.

Sounds like what I plan to do with my 84 pretty much, except I plan to paint it eventually... get rid of the rust.

The piston shifter seems like a cool idea but it seems a little big lol.

And the the link to the rims won't fit cause its the wrong bolt pattern and they are 18's which would be dumb... but I think they do have 15x8 in a 5 on 4.5 that would work unless you wanted 18's in which case they still might...
Originally Posted by Myself View Post
"Tall Trucks, Small trucks, whos got the balls to roll with our trucks?"
Original_Ranger84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 04:10 PM   #6
bcost882

Vehicle Year: 2000, 2011
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT, Fiesta
I use this vehicle for: Enforcing vehicular darwinism
bcost882 is on a distinguished road

you should use a 7.3 powerstroke piston haha
Originally Posted by Frank The Tank View Post
You havent' lived!!!! Wake up and breath the fresh air........ open your peepers and go tackle the world.
bcost882 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:03 PM   #7
Robert_1967

Vehicle Year: 1988/1989
Vehicle Model: Ranger Supercab/BroncoII
I use this vehicle for: Soon to be hot rod/Daily Driver
Robert_1967 has a spectacular aura aboutRobert_1967 has a spectacular aura about

the next time you want to clean a part like that, get a old crockpot, fill it with antifreeze, and let it boil over night, be warn though, do this in a well ventilated place, the fumes are deadly, take the parts out while hot, and they will look new, when I was flying r/c planes, this was the best way to clean the little nitro motors before a rebuild, oh and DON'T use the crockpot for food stuff after this.

Robert

this is also a good way to get paint off of items too.

If I can't work on my Ranger or BroncoII, I rather be fishing.

If Facebook, MySpace, and Twitter were all destroyed, 90% of teens would go insane.
Robert_1967 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2010, 09:24 PM   #8
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

Vehicle Year: 1995 1986
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab XLT F-150 XL
PlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to all

Thats going to be a huge shift knob. How do you plan on welding the aluminum to the wrist pin?

I used a push mower piston on my trans shifter and a chainsaw piston on my tcase. I just tapped the wrist pin hole out to except a set screw. Then I cut the wrist pin in half and cut a V in the end and stuck it into the other side of the piston to center the piston on the shifter shaft.

-PlumCrazy
==>F-OneFiddy Build Thread
PlumCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2010, 12:08 PM   #9
adsm08
Premium Member

Asteroids Champion

It is a big shifter, but it cleaned up really nice. I got a guy here at school in the manufacturing or construction (don't remember which) program to weld it up for me in his welding class. The weld doesn't look to pretty, but you won't really be able to see it once it's in.

Those rims do come in a 16x8 5 on 4.5, that was just the wrong link.

I'm not quite sure how I'm gonna attach the piston to the lever.

Might be getting me some nice 3.27 axles in a few weeks here

Here is the truck as she sits now:

A nice night pic with the cab lights on:

And here is my oh-so-comfy 91 Ex front seat setup

Just gotta get the shifter bezel and center console screwed down.

one of these days she is gonna get all the dents, dings, and rust out and some new paint.

Quote:

Last edited by adsm08; 03-15-2010 at 08:18 PM. Reason: added pics.
Old 03-15-2010, 01:18 PM   #10
PlumCrazy
Schotty Fab & Offroad

Vehicle Year: 1995 1986
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab XLT F-150 XL
PlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to allPlumCrazy is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by adsm08 View Post
Might be getting me some nice 3.27 axles in a few weeks here
3.27's? What gears do you have now? My truck came with 3.27's and it sucked.

-PlumCrazy
==>F-OneFiddy Build Thread
PlumCrazy is offline   Reply With Quote