• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

First glass project: Door pods molded into panels

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Well i decided to start on my audio system in my 93 extended cab and figured i would just go ahead and do everything how i wanted it and started off by makin some custom door pods for 6.5" component speakers and then decided to mold them to my panels and make the whole panel smooth so it would all look like glass. Luckily i have a WHOLE set of extra interior pieces so i dnt have to rush this....heres pics ill try and describe each pic

Firs i cut the bottom cubby hole off the panel:

I taped off the panel:

Applied 3 layers of mat as the mold:

I then drilled 4 holes evenly spaced on the panel and mold and put bolts through (to hold the pod to the panel) and put mat over the bolts to glass them in and hold them. and then pulled the mold off the panel

Trimmed the pods:

Built my structure:

Wrapped em in fleece:

Test fit on panel:

Resined the fleece:

Sanded the rest of the panel to rough it up and applied 2 coats of resin to the cloth on top and apllied bondo.

Mock up on the door so i could figure out if i need to drill holes for the bolts to fit but ended up jsut cuttin em off since i was gonna mold it on.

Prmed to see where i was at....have since apllied more bondo to make the pod flow better witht he door and have the drivers side completely done other than paint.

EASY ON CRITICISM AS I AM !& AND THIS IS MY FIRST GLASS PROJECT. WAT YA GUYS THINK?

pwrranger88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual

'95 ranger

09/2013 STOTM Winner
MTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1989, 200
Make / Model
Subaru, FORD
Engine Size
2.5, 2.3, 4.OH
Transmission
Manual
im gna have to try some glassing some time, looks good!

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
very fun to do actually...nowhere near as hard as i thought it was gonna be.....custom center console is gonna b next

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Looks good!! 'Bout how much you think you got invested? I've always wanted to try my hand at some custom interior stuff :D

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well for this project a good bit....i didnt kno of a local place that sold resing by the gallon except a auto parts stor (not autozone or advanced) and there it was $50 somethin a gallon so that was insane...then went to pepboys and got it for $36 a gallon....ended up using about a gallon and a half so theres $90 in resin...2 gallons on bondo was $40 and the mat was $5 a pack and used about 6 packs so theres anotha $35 plus i b ought a hand sander (i wouldnt do these without one) and it was $40 and the pads cost $4 a pack and used 4 packs..so theres $48...plus the bolts, fleece, and brushes....bout $30 there too.......If i ever do something this big again (which i will...center console is next after tweeter pods int he a-pillars.) imm gonan buy brushes in bulk off the internet.then you have the spot butty (2 tubes $6 total) then the high build automotive primer 2 cans per door ($20 total)....and im gettin the fianly color sprayed when i get my truck painted.so in total i have about $269.

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
And if i do more of these pods for local peps i for sure kno things i can do kno to cut down on cost drastically.......i feel certain i can get it under $200 the next time.

RangerRyan88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
well for this project a good bit....i didnt kno of a local place that sold resing by the gallon except a auto parts stor (not autozone or advanced) and there it was $50 somethin a gallon so that was insane...then went to pepboys and got it for $36 a gallon....ended up using about a gallon and a half so theres $90 in resin...2 gallons on bondo was $40 and the mat was $5 a pack and used about 6 packs so theres anotha $35 plus i b ought a hand sander (i wouldnt do these without one) and it was $40 and the pads cost $4 a pack and used 4 packs..so theres $48...plus the bolts, fleece, and brushes....bout $30 there too.......If i ever do something this big again (which i will...center console is next after tweeter pods int he a-pillars.) imm gonan buy brushes in bulk off the internet.then you have the spot butty (2 tubes $6 total) then the high build automotive primer 2 cans per door ($20 total)....and im gettin the fianly color sprayed when i get my truck painted.so in total i have about $269.
Wow until that post you were making it look easy :shok: I might have to reconsider attempting this.. Haha looks good though!

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
it is pretty easy....but theres TONS i would do differently if i do something like this again........thanks

dj224ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Manual
speakin from experience its easier the more you do it... the panels look good

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Awesome work, well done.

If you want that factory finish, SEM makes a texture coating that will duplicate the factory textured finish. They also have a paint that matches the factory color exactly.

How about an installer trick. Another way to texture is to spray a truck bed liner paint like the Dupli-Color Truck Bed Coating on the panels. The trick is to spray about two feet away in short bursts. After it drys, lightly sand it and then spray the color. It will look factory.

Anyway awesome job

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
thanks for the compliments guys...and i dont want a texture finish....plans are to leave the panels primer now until i get the outside painted and have them painted to match.....also guys i have tweeter pods in the works for the a-pillars too

tylork92

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Looks very good! I'm sure you've learned a ton already.
Yes I have...so many more ideas i have for fututre fiberglass projects and SO mnay different ways i will do things next time so it wont take as long. :headbang:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals