• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

vibration problems , please help

ndube82

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I am writing to you all here in hopes of a suggestion or tip that might solve my issue.

Few weeks ago a terrible vibration began in my rear end, now the whole truck is shaking. I had my tires balanced, rebuilt my rear end. Checked the driveshaft u joints, all are good. Vibration is still there, and not getting any better.

Found bad pinion bearing in the rear. This truck is a 4WD but in 2WD mode, so if im wrong correct me , but the front diff and axles are not being used and cannot be a cause of this. Ring and pinion in the rear are meshed well, and tight.

I just picked the truck up from the shop after having the tires balanced, and i can't notice any big difference in the vibration.

On the highway from 50mph to 75 mph, the vibration is so bad the stick shift and transfer case shifter vibrate to the point where they make a loud noise. Feels like the truck is going to fall apart.

Could this possibly be a tranny / engine/ transfer case mount? I'm stumped and driving slow lol.

Please help! Oh yeah, it's a 95 Ranger XL 4x4, short bed.

98mazdaman

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Is it just at high speeds? If so, your tires could be worn out. The tread may look good, but the radials may be worn out. The tires will start to bounce down the highway.

ceraboy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L
Transmission
Manual
It wouldnt hurt to take the truck back and have the tires rebalanced, perhaps you threw a weight that wasnt mounted well. If that is not the problem it sure sounds like a driveline balance issue since you checked the u-joints. Perhaps the transmission mount is loose.

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Unbolt the driveshaft and rotate it 90 degrees and remount it. This was a big issue with the stangs.I dont know about the rangers, but its worth a shot.

Blueovalboy89

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3L Turbo
Transmission
Manual
It could be your output shaft on the t-case. Try taking the driveshaft out and checking the output shaft to see if it might be loose or bent. Does the tranny make a lot of noise during the vibration(whining or grinding)?

ndube82

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
the transmission shakes as well, and progresses in strength as the truck speeds up. Drove to work this morning on the highway and it's worse now that it was before i had the wheels balanced and rotated!!! I just don't understand, I am going to go ahead and check the output shaft on the transfer case, but im pretty sure it's solid, all the weights are on the drive shaft , none have fallen off. I took a video today but it sounds so distorted from the vibration. I wonder if it could be the tires, thats a good point. I just don't want to buy new ones with all the tread left on the ones I have. Wish there was a way to diagnose the radial before buying new ones :(

HELP! lol

feellnfroggy

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
the transmission shakes as well, and progresses in strength as the truck speeds up. Drove to work this morning on the highway and it's worse now that it was before i had the wheels balanced and rotated!!! I just don't understand, I am going to go ahead and check the output shaft on the transfer case, but im pretty sure it's solid, all the weights are on the drive shaft , none have fallen off. I took a video today but it sounds so distorted from the vibration. I wonder if it could be the tires, thats a good point. I just don't want to buy new ones with all the tread left on the ones I have. Wish there was a way to diagnose the radial before buying new ones :(

HELP! lol
Are the transmission mount bolts tightened all the way? Have you viewed you clutch? or it is auto, If the wheels were out of balance, they would have worn funny, If you went and had them balanced they will still vibrate alot but will eventually wear even again.

Have you checked the output shaft on the tail of the transmission itself? Where is the video?

ndube82

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ok so , i got out of work and checked the tranny mount, was bad, replaced it....
went for a ride and now the shifter for the tranny isnt so bad, but the shifter for the transfer case is worse lol.... its so bad its not even funny, im not driving over 50...

to check the output shaft on the tail of the transmission do I have to drop the transfer case? i moved the drive shaft up and down and there is some play at the output shaft of the transfer case to the drive shaft, do you guys think the output shaft bearing could be causing this? im near my wits end, so much for labor love, this truck isn't returning the favor lol the tires were wearing evenly...

ndube82

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
:beer: the terrible vibration and noise is only above 40 mph now, and smoothes out from 58-65, then gets bad again 65+....

still no other ideas???? Im dismantling the transfer case tommorow

pf032562

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wish there was a way to diagnose the radial before buying new ones :(HELP! lol
Have the tires road force balanced instead of just high speed balanced. This is a special balancing machine and simulated the tires rolling on the pavement with weight on them.... You may have to call around to find a place that has one,...

Mark_88

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Dordge
Engine Size
3.3 Fuel Injected
Transmission
Automatic
My credo
Love Thy Neighbor
Have someone check the balance on your drive shaft...if it's slightly warped or unbalanced due to a ding it can cause the vibration...sounds like you've checked everything else but that...

You may be able to tell yourself just by rolling it on the floor if you see it wobble slightly then you need to replace it...sort of like how you test a pool cue for straightness by putting it on the table and rolling it...only you don't smack balls with your drive shaft...unless...oh, never mind...I will leave that for now...

pocket-rocket

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4 cyl.
Transmission
Manual
only you don't smack balls with your drive shaft...unless...oh, never mind...I will leave that for now...
SIG!!!

Have you tried moving the rear tires to the front to see if the vibration moves?

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals