Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'MastuhWaffles'
November 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'ATX'
November 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

Notices

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 12-29-2008, 11:35 PM   #11
RentonRanger

Vehicle Year: 1998
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
RentonRanger is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by snake View Post
Shoot a can of 44K in the thing and see if it straightens it out. It will clean the crap out of the injectors...
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's 44K?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bent Bolt View Post
Since we're all guessing, I say have a look at the plug wires
Will do.
Kicker ZX 300.1 Amp / Explorer Leather & Power Seats, Center Console, OHC & AutoDim-Headlamp Mirror / 4.10 Gears / 31x10.5x15's
RentonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 12-30-2008, 01:44 AM   #12
dogboy

Vehicle Year: '93
I use this vehicle for: DD'er and weekend wheeler
dogboy will become famous soon enough
Send a message via MSN to dogboy

My truck is doign this eaxct same thign for the past 3 or 4 months ( quite annoying). But mine does it at any speed if I get the throttle in just the wrong spot (a somewhat large spot...).

I've been told to check for intake manifold/ vacuum leak, dirt injectors, and the Throttle Position Sensor, fuel filter, and plugs/ wires. I've changed the fuel filter, and plugs, and the wires tested within spec (7k ohms resistance per foot if I recall) with no change.

I ran a can of Seafoam through a full tank, with no changes at all either. I am probably going to hook a vacuum gauge up to it tomorrow and see what it says (7-8 months ago, it read 18-19psi vacuum, or what ever you want to call it).

After that I am going to check/ adjust the throttle position sensor. I've been told you can adjust it, so I'm just going to figure out how to do that and see what it does.

DD: '94 ext cab 4wd, 5.0l 6" lift and 35's
dogboy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:20 AM   #13
feellnfroggy

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: DD for right now.
feellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to feellnfroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by dogboy View Post
My truck is doign this eaxct same thign for the past 3 or 4 months ( quite annoying). But mine does it at any speed if I get the throttle in just the wrong spot (a somewhat large spot...).

I've been told to check for intake manifold/ vacuum leak, dirt injectors, and the Throttle Position Sensor, fuel filter, and plugs/ wires. I've changed the fuel filter, and plugs, and the wires tested within spec (7k ohms resistance per foot if I recall) with no change.

I ran a can of Seafoam through a full tank, with no changes at all either. I am probably going to hook a vacuum gauge up to it tomorrow and see what it says (7-8 months ago, it read 18-19psi vacuum, or what ever you want to call it).

After that I am going to check/ adjust the throttle position sensor. I've been told you can adjust it, so I'm just going to figure out how to do that and see what it does.
It could be the TPS going bad. But when it does you will know it. There is no adjusting the TPS. It spins 180degrees based on the position of the intake butterfly. The DIS box can be a problem, In my truck it was the coil for the waste spark (2.3l) I have points 1 and 4 were bad and had to replace it. I still have problems. Check to see if the CPS is dirty. Buy a haynes manual to help with disassemblies and assemblies.
feellnfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2008, 09:25 AM   #14
snake

Vehicle Year: 2002
Vehicle Model: The mighty Ranger
I use this vehicle for: cruising for chicks
snake is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by RentonRanger View Post
Sorry for my ignorance, but what's 44K?

Will do.
Its some bad-ass injector cleaner- about $23 or more a can and only sold at stealerships and a few oil change places. Local mechanic turned me on to it, works like a mo-fo. Its supposed to be pure techron.
2002 XLT in wedgewood blue, 4.0 auto, 4 doors (no waiting) MP3, 3:55 limited slip rear, payload package, factory installed trailer hitch, side step bars. Built 7/31/2002, shipped 8/19/2002, purchased 9/25/2002 sold 8/2011.

2011 F-150 crewcab ecoboost twin turbo. Purchased 7/13/2011
snake is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2009, 11:12 PM   #15
RentonRanger

Vehicle Year: 1998
RentonRanger is on a distinguished road

Well, it seems to have worked itself out. It's running just fine now, no bucking or hitching at all! I'm thinking that maybe the PCM needed to "re-learn" the new DPFE readings and it just took a few days of driving to get it right.

I'll keep you posted if something changes...
Kicker ZX 300.1 Amp / Explorer Leather & Power Seats, Center Console, OHC & AutoDim-Headlamp Mirror / 4.10 Gears / 31x10.5x15's
RentonRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2009, 09:11 AM   #16
feellnfroggy

Vehicle Year: 1993
I use this vehicle for: DD for right now.
feellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the roughfeellnfroggy is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to feellnfroggy

Quote:
Originally Posted by feellnfroggy View Post
It could be the TPS going bad. But when it does you will know it. There is no adjusting the TPS. It spins 180degrees based on the position of the intake butterfly. The DIS box can be a problem, In my truck it was the coil for the waste spark (2.3l) I have points 1 and 4 were bad and had to replace it. I still have problems. Check to see if the CPS is dirty. Buy a haynes manual to help with disassemblies and assemblies.
So I posted all this stuff. Then I remembered........My 96 probe did this, I remember when I was driving my 92 ranger this weekend, and I knew the problem felt familiar. Then it hit me. MASS AIRFLOW SENSOR. I unplugged mine and the ranger is running better. Not perfect but at least its smoothed out some. Same with my probe. (runnin real rich though.) Go to a junkyard and try to find one or three for cheap, swap them out see if it helps.
feellnfroggy is offline   Reply With Quote