Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Old 04-27-2012, 03:05 PM   #1
willracin

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab
willracin is on a distinguished road
Default Starter Hook up.

I have a 95 ranger 4.0 5sp. Having starter issues can someone tell me where the wires on it should be connected? I am not if there is positive, negative and something else or not.
willracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-27-2012, 03:59 PM   #2
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

It's kinda hard to mess up that connection. It can only be done one way because the wires only fit one way. There is a little wire on a little post and a big wire on a big post and it grounds through the case contacting the engine block.

The little wire is a trigger for the starter, the big wire just feeds battery voltage for cranking.

"Having issues" does not help us help you. What is it doing? Have you bench tested it?

Bench test is really easy, only thing you need that isn't part of the truck is jumper cables.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:34 PM   #3
willracin

Vehicle Year: 1995
Vehicle Model: Ranger Super Cab
willracin is on a distinguished road

Issues being, I went out this am to go to work. NO START. Good battery but no turn over ,nothing. Found the small wire "trigger" as u called it disconnected from the starter. Plugged it on the starter hit the key. No not only no start but no lights no radio no anything. The trigger wire has another wire spliced in to it that runs under the dash so I know this was someone else's mod however it has rain fine with no starting or other electrical issue for several years. I have checked all fuses under hood and on the end of the dash. Now not sure what to try. Suggestions?
willracin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-27-2012, 05:41 PM   #4
adsm08
EOAH

Asteroids Champion

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
I use this vehicle for: Elevenses
adsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond reputeadsm08 has a reputation beyond repute
Send a message via AIM to adsm08

Bench test the starter. If it's good, re-run the trigger wire, end to end, and try again.

Project: Amazing Grace

Project: Cash 'N Carry

Project: 12-Volt Sandwich, project finished

Project: Birthday Present

I have learned that pleasing everyone is impossible, but pissing everyone off is a piece of cake.

HELP REPEAL OBAMACARE

HELP REPEAL WASHINGTON DC
adsm08 is offline   Reply With Quote