Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Old 04-02-2012, 10:16 AM   #1
chrislang

Vehicle Year: 1986
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Bronco II
chrislang is on a distinguished road
Default Broco II "bucks and jerks"

Newbe here with 86 2.9l 5 speed.

I know you guys must have had this discussion come up, but I searched and cannot seem to find an answer.
Issue: Starts up and idles fine. When taking off it is fine, if you rev the engine up on take off. Idles fine, and will rev up fine parked in neutral. It stumbles and jerks violently upon acceleration between shifts. I just bought this, because it is in such good shape. No rust, immaculate interior.
The guy I bought it off of has tested virtually ALL of the sensors, changed both fuel pumps, drained the tank, replaced the computer, new plugs and wires.... NO CHANGE...

Temp. does not seem to matter, IE: does not start this acting up when hot, it can happen anytime. Vacuum issue,(can't find any) Timing? (set 10deg. BTDC)..Cold spark? Maybe I need to use the Motorcraft 42Cs? (not sure whats in it now)

The motor was swithed out to one with a lot less miles. The guy I bought it from wasn't sure of the year although he said it was newer.

Could it be the motor mounts?? I have a truck that acted like that when it needed motor mounts.(Runs fine in 5th gear when your accelerating) Seems to happen most when you are letting off the accelerator, then resuming acceleration.

I know you guys must have discussed this ad nauseam in the past. If so, please point me to the link.

I really like the BII and am determined to find the issue. I hope you guys can help. Any and all comments will be appreciated!!

Thanks in advance!

Chris
chrislang is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-02-2012, 11:04 AM   #2
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

It is a Bronco, did you not see the bucking horse badge?

You might install a vacuum gauge in it and see what it is doing realtime as you drive it.

Probably a nonissue but you did unplug the dizzy when you set timing right?

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 12:33 PM   #3
chrislang

Quote:
Probably a nonissue but you did unplug the dizzy when you set timing right?
By dizzy, do you mean the SPOUT plug? I did indeed unplug it. Does that stand for SPARK-OUT? It is not one of those typical TFI things about getting hot, then shutting off. As long as I am accelerating it seems to do ok. But in between shifts, it bucks when pressing the throttle as you release the clutch.

Thank you all for any info, as I am at a loss of ideas.......

Old 04-02-2012, 01:34 PM   #4
Danni84

Vehicle Year: 1984, 1988
Vehicle Model: Ranger, Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: Work in Progress
Danni84 is on a distinguished road

"Seems to happen most when you are letting off the accelerator, then resuming acceleration"
I dont know if the 2.9 has it or not but my 2.8 did that and the EGR valve was stuck closed from carbon build up. Finally got it diagnosed after the 3rd mechanic looked at it. EGR valve and timing had it running well again.
Danni84 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:41 PM   #5
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

Yeah, dizzy = distributor = spout plug (implied, sorry)

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2012, 01:54 PM   #6
chrislang

Quote:
"Seems to happen most when you are letting off the accelerator, then resuming acceleration"
I dont know if the 2.9 has it or not but my 2.8 did that and the EGR valve was stuck closed from carbon build up. Finally got it diagnosed after the 3rd mechanic looked at it. EGR valve and timing had it running well again.
Thanks Dannie84!
I'll try that this evening or tomorrow. It can't hurt!
Old 04-04-2012, 03:59 PM   #7
tw205

Vehicle Year: 1985/1988/2000
Vehicle Model: Bronco II/Mustang LX/F-250 Superduty
I use this vehicle for: An excuse to drink in the garage
tw205 will become famous soon enough

Sounds like a faulty throttle position sensor
tw205 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2012, 04:33 PM   #8
shane96ranger

Vehicle Year: 1997 / 1989
Vehicle Model: F150 XLT / Mustang GT
I use this vehicle for: Everything / The war on imports
shane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond reputeshane96ranger has a reputation beyond repute

Have you checked for play in the distributor shaft?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jammert609@yahoo.com View Post
I am being told by family an friends my truck is a piece of shit
shane96ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2012, 12:45 PM   #9
tdjar

tdjar is on a distinguished road
I have an '86 as well and it does the same thing except it happens when I try to maintain a constant speed. Doesn't matter what gear I'm in or what speed I'm going. I haven't been able to get at this yet 'cause the input bearing went in the tranny , it is going back in this weekend, then it will be diagnosis time. I will post what I find and hopefully we can figure this out
tdjar is offline   Reply With Quote