Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Suspension & Armor > Mini-Truck Suspension

Mini-Truck Suspension All you lowriders step inside and post up. Forum sponsored by Illusive Design & Fabrication

Old 04-13-2012, 11:33 AM   #1
Wigifries

Vehicle Year: 1987
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Everyday Use
Wigifries is on a distinguished road
Default Air Shocks?

Hey guys I want to raise the rear of my truck about half an inch to an inch, could I get air shocks and just fill them up to lift the rear end? Also I will be hauling my dirt bike around this summer and want a little bit more support in the rear rather than the drop shocks. Is this even possible? Will the shocks bottom out due to my ranger being lowered about 5 inches? Any response would be greatly appreciated! Thank you!
Wigifries is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-14-2012, 02:40 AM   #2
low~n~blue
February 2012 STOTM Winner

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: FORD
Vehicle Model: RANGER SPLASH
I use this vehicle for: daily driving and some fun
low~n~blue will become famous soon enough

i don't know about air shocks but they make air bags that go in the back and have a nipple placed by the bumper and u can add air when hauling and keep them empty when your not so keep the nice ride. Super easy and really nice, have them on the diesel and makes ALL the difference. Thought about putting them on my ranger too cuz it's lowered 4 inch's and I haul my quad too.

low~n~blue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 11:06 AM   #3
JoshT
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1999
I use this vehicle for: Back-up DD, Hunting, ETC.
JoshT is a jewel in the roughJoshT is a jewel in the roughJoshT is a jewel in the roughJoshT is a jewel in the rough
Send a message via AIM to JoshT Send a message via Yahoo to JoshT

You can use air shocks to raise the back of the truck a little but I wouldn't recommend it as an every day solution. I had Gabriel Hi-Jackers on the back of my (stock height) 84 Ranger, mostly for load assist. They could lift the back end 4-5 inches IIRC. That said they were stiff when aired up even a little and made for a poor ride, I pretty much only inflated them when I had a load. You would be better off keeping your slight lift, and your load assist separate. Think about it this way shocks aren't meant to support weight they are only meant to dampen the shocks dealt to the suspension. If you increase the shock's ability to support weight you in turn decrease their ability to dampen those shocks.

How is your truck lowered? You say dropped 5" in the rear so I"m assuming that you have swapped to spring over axle. Based on that I'd recommend the chevy lowering shackles, they will provide approximately 1 or 2 inches of lift on a Ranger depending on which setting you use. Then use a load assist bag as low~n~blue mentioned. You are better off keeping the drop shocks and the load assist separate.

I'm currently in the process (very slow process) of building an 86 Ranger with a drop similar to what you have. I am running DJM beams in front, and an Explorer axle in the rear. The axle got me a 5"+ drop in the rear, but I'm also using the explorer's springs which are a little softer I think. Then I'm using the Chevy shackle to raise the rear back up about 2 inches to match with the front. Still not sure if it'll be enough because I prefer a little rake to being level, I do have a set of 2" drop springs for the front is it's not. I plan to use load assist bags if I need them for towing hauling purposes.

For shocks you'll have to do some research for that. I think most people run a Nissan Hardbody Shock for drops in the range of 3 to 5 inches. If you do decide to go with air shocks this is probably what you'll need to get them for. On my swap I'm going to run a completely different shock set-up from stock and what you have so the shocks that work for me won't work for you. I'll be copying the Explorer's shock mounting design with a shock cross member mounted forward of the axle, and the lower end of the shocks at the explorer spring plates. It'll also be set-up to use stock length Ranger shocks rather than drop shocks.
1999 Ranger 4wd - Back-up DD/Hunting truck
2003 Honda Shadow Sabre - For Sale (eventually)
2010 Kia Forte Koup SX - DD
JoshT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2012, 12:38 PM   #4
low~n~blue

I run the chevy shackle to raise it up a little bit so it has a slight rake. Mine was bullied after the axle swap and good point about the axle flip. Totally spaced on that, i guess it would depend on how you lowered as putting a bag between a flipped axle and springs would only lower it more haha.
Old 04-14-2012, 01:21 PM   #5
JoshT
Premium Member

JoshT is a jewel in the roughJoshT is a jewel in the roughJoshT is a jewel in the roughJoshT is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by low~n~blue View Post
I run the chevy shackle to raise it up a little bit so it has a slight rake. Mine was bullied after the axle swap and good point about the axle flip. Totally spaced on that, i guess it would depend on how you lowered as putting a bag between a flipped axle and springs would only lower it more haha.
Axle flip wouldn't matter with the air bags, except for getting the right set-up. I think normally they would go between the springs and the frame, not the axle and the springs. With the axle flip you would need one that mounts to the axle instead. I know there are enough vehicles out there with the axle over the spring that some company would have one that works.
Old 04-14-2012, 03:22 PM   #6
low~n~blue

my vote is pick up one of these little trailers and then your good! haha plus then you can carry other stuff! haha
Old 04-17-2012, 12:47 PM   #7
Magnetic

Vehicle Year: 2002
Magnetic is on a distinguished road

dont mean to cut into wigifries thread but where did you get that trailer low~n~blue? im looking for one
Magnetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-17-2012, 01:22 PM   #8
low~n~blue

Quote:
Originally Posted by Magnetic View Post
dont mean to cut into wigifries thread but where did you get that trailer low~n~blue? im looking for one
I got it at Lowe's home improvement store. Its a Polar Bear, 8x4 bed. It weighs nothing but has good size tires compared to some of the ones around. They are around 800-1200 new I believe depending where you go but i've found them on craigslist way cheaper. Can't complain, the front and back of it is removable and also can be flipped so they lay flat which adds nearly 2.5 feet front and back. Sorry hahaha
Old 04-19-2012, 12:38 AM   #9
Magnetic

Vehicle Year: 2002
Magnetic is on a distinguished road

goign to hav eto look aroun phoenix area cause i havnet seen any cheap4x8s down here in tucson
Magnetic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2012, 09:03 PM   #10
JoshT
Premium Member

Check out harbor freight, they have trailer kits at a pretty decent price. IIRC they include everything you need to assemble the trailer frame. You just have to provide the material for the decking (plywood or boards) and add sides if so desired. I know dad used one years ago to build a trailer for a John boat, then when he sold that boat he modified it into a kayak/canoe hauler and it's held up well so far.