Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Suspension & Armor > 4X4 Suspensions

4X4 Suspensions For stock & off-road suspensions using stock & aftermarket parts (IE suspension kits). Forum sponsored by RCI Metalworks

Old 04-10-2012, 06:20 PM   #11
CHKNFKR
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Spending my hard earned cash
CHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant futureCHKNFKR has a brilliant future

The ttb setup is capable of some pretty amazing things. It beats the living snot out of sla setups day after day. If modified appropriately a ttb setup can roll with the big dogs.

The big problem with ttb is most people don't understand how it works and how to maximize its usefulness. Most of the time it's easier to sas than it is to work the bugs out of the factory ttb system.

Quote:
Originally Posted by daniel3507 View Post
This pick up makes my pecker perk up
Quote:
Originally Posted by gwaii View Post
all my layout,bend allowances,and cuts are figured out using a neural cognitive software system.
Quote:
Originally Posted by super91(2.3) View Post
I can see myself goin to the gas station now and buying under a dollars worth of diesel and just dispensing it right onto my body...
CHKNFKR is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 04-11-2012, 12:08 AM   #12
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHKNFKR View Post
The ttb setup is capable of some pretty amazing things. It beats the living snot out of sla setups day after day.
Very true if you factor in cost vs. durability (especially while building on OEM platforms), however with enough budget a SLA-IFS tends to have an advantage because of it's "cleaner" (as well as highly tunable) wheel travel characteristics (especially as speeds go higher).

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdawall View Post
You don't "need" a lifted truck. Solid axle's will outperform TTB's in a lot of offroad situations. That's all I was saying. You will never get even similar flex from a TTB that is just part of the independent suspension any "flex" typically gained is due to frame flex.
You're saying this is all due to frame flex?

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s

Last edited by 4x4junkie; 04-11-2012 at 12:11 AM.
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 05:32 AM   #13
spash94

Vehicle Year: 94
Vehicle Make: ranger
Vehicle Model: 4x4 splash
spash94 is on a distinguished road

Becides getting a 6 inch drop pitman ARM from sj is there anything else I need to know I was going to buy a brand new stock setup and run the drop pitman just so the steering was tight.
spash94 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2012, 06:58 AM   #14
cdawall

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: trails/daily driver
cdawall will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post
Very true if you factor in cost vs. durability (especially while building on OEM platforms), however with enough budget a SLA-IFS tends to have an advantage because of it's "cleaner" (as well as highly tunable) wheel travel characteristics (especially as speeds go higher).

You're saying this is all due to frame flex?
What flex am I looking at? Passenger side is dropping out with nothing under it drivers side is tucking with a rock. That's exactly how any ifs would respond to that situation. Just because it looks like a solid axle would doesn't make it flexing out. Don't get me wrong TTBs are great but its humanly impossible to flex one that's not how IFS works.
Old 04-12-2012, 03:35 PM   #15
prerunnerwannabe

I use this vehicle for: Getting distracted....
prerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enoughprerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
What flex am I looking at? Passenger side is dropping out with nothing under it drivers side is tucking with a rock. That's exactly how any ifs would respond to that situation. Just because it looks like a solid axle would doesn't make it flexing out. Don't get me wrong TTBs are great but its humanly impossible to flex one that's not how IFS works.
If you look, the rear drivers side tire is dropped out so that the entire suspension is articulated to its max, so I'm pretty sure a solid axle with the same springs/lift would have done more or less the same thing under those circumstances.
But I could be wrong...
prerunnerwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 04:49 PM   #16
4x4junkie
Mall-Rated

Vehicle Year: 1990,1994
Vehicle Model: Bronco II, Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Crawling over things
4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all4x4junkie is a name known to all

Quote:
Originally Posted by spash94 View Post
Becides getting a 6 inch drop pitman ARM from sj is there anything else I need to know I was going to buy a brand new stock setup and run the drop pitman just so the steering was tight.
The Skyjacker pt# FA600 drop pitman arm should work fine if you're set up for 4" lift. I'd suggest a K-link setup for it though (less stress on the steering box shaft). A K-link or other setup would be mandatory if you want more than 4" lift with softer coils anyway.

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerwannabe View Post
If you look, the rear drivers side tire is dropped out so that the entire suspension is articulated to its max, so I'm pretty sure a solid axle with the same springs/lift would have done more or less the same thing under those circumstances.
But I could be wrong...
For sure it would have.
I've concluded he must be playing a semantics card, because that post makes just about as much sense as a solid axle remaining rigid in that circumstance.
Fact remains, TTBs will outperform solid axles in a lot of offroad situations too. But there's more situations far & wide where either one would work about the same than situations where one can outperform the other. Some apparently just have a hard time realizing this.

'94 Ranger XLT
6" Skyjacker, ARB D44 front, Detroit 8.8" rear, Atlas 4.3, 33s
4x4junkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 06:22 PM   #17
cdawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerwannabe View Post
But I could be wrong...
It would do similar I was simply pointing out IFS does not articulate like a solid axle that is purely its design.

Quote:
Originally Posted by 4x4junkie View Post

For sure it would have.
I've concluded he must be playing a semantics card, because that post makes just about as much sense as a solid axle remaining rigid in that circumstance.
Fact remains, TTBs will outperform solid axles in a lot of offroad situations too. But there's more situations far & wide where either one would work about the same than situations where one can outperform the other. Some apparently just have a hard time realizing this.
There are ton's of situations that solid axles perform better. There is one situation that TTB's perform better and that is after you build the crap out of them (prerunning). This is the reason KOH guys prefer solid axles there are many threads on pirate about this exact thing.

Last edited by cdawall; 04-12-2012 at 06:25 PM.
cdawall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:25 PM   #18
kryptonitecb

Vehicle Year: 1994
I use this vehicle for: daily driver, trail ready
kryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nicekryptonitecb is just really nice

If a solid axle flexes so well then why do the desert racers use ifs? Solid axles have their place and for the cost of a sas you can flex out a ttb. Plus if you really want to flex a solid axle you'll have to link it, kinda like how a ttb already is. For fairness solid axles are far stronger than a ttb.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic
kryptonitecb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2012, 07:35 PM   #19
cdawall

Quote:
Originally Posted by kryptonitecb View Post
If a solid axle flexes so well then why do the desert racers use ifs? Solid axles have their place and for the cost of a sas you can flex out a ttb. Plus if you really want to flex a solid axle you'll have to link it, kinda like how a ttb already is. For fairness solid axles are far stronger than a ttb.

Sent from road while ignoring traffic
Was that a serious question? IFS has the option of more travel deser racing has nothing to do with flex. If you read my post I mentioned it as well. In all fairness the jeepspeed guys do run SFA vehicles.

IFS will never flex. Flex is caused by one wheel pushing the other up or down. IFS cannot do that it is how IFS works. You can make a TTB drop out and compress better, but its still not a solid axle.
Old 04-13-2012, 10:12 AM   #20
prerunnerwannabe

I use this vehicle for: Getting distracted....
prerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enoughprerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
IFS will never flex. Flex is caused by one wheel pushing the other up or down. IFS cannot do that it is how IFS works. You can make a TTB drop out and compress better, but its still not a solid axle.
Ohhhh I see what you are saying now. See I understood flex as just another way of saying wheel travel. In that case yes, an ifs will never 'flex' like a solid axle does.
prerunnerwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote