Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Axles, Brakes, Wheels & Tires > Non-Ranger Axles

Non-Ranger Axles All other axles. Ford 9-inch, Dana 44, Dana 60, etc.

Old 03-25-2012, 12:38 PM   #1
Str8sixfan

Vehicle Year: 1997
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: trying to get good gas mileage but not
Str8sixfan is on a distinguished road
Default D30 brake upgrade options

I'm starting a SAS project (well at least accumulating parts) in which I already have a D30 secured from a 90s XJ.

The end goal is a 4 wheel disk operation when I can secure a explorer 8.8. With that being said, I kind of want to know what brake upgrades I can throw on a D30. Anyone know of a good sticky thread maybe on a jeep forum or something?

I know around here I've seen someone do a explorer sport trac disk (maybe 13" rotor?) swap on a D30.

My pig won't have a lot of power when I'm done, but I want to do the brakes portion right from the start so in the event on down the road I start throwing more power/bigger tires at the thing I can get it to stop appropriately. It seems like a lot of times in the 4x4 world this is one of the last areas addressed, so I'd rather address it up front so on down the road when kids come around and I can't spend as much on my project I can throw the fun things at it when I get that little window to spend.
Str8sixfan is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-28-2012, 06:03 PM   #2
Str8sixfan

nothing?
Old 03-28-2012, 07:07 PM   #3
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

Vehicle Year: 1983
I use this vehicle for: My DD, play toy
dangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud of
Send a message via Skype™ to dangerranger83

Brakes from, if I remember right, off 1998+ or 2000+ D30 axles have dual piston calipers. The catch...you have to change the knuckles out due to the dual piston and single piston ones have different boltings plus I think that they have to shimmed so that the wheel sits up and down correctly.

Now you could get slotted and drilled rotors too. You can find brake upgrades for them in Jeep magazines too.

My D30 axle is an 85 and has from what I have found out has a larger piston caliper then those of the 90s ones but not sure that they are any better. I am currently running all stock brakes on mine and it stops my truck with no problems.

My truck is running 32 inch MT tires and is far from a power horse with the 2.8.

There are people on here that are running bigger tires and larger engines and have not said a word about braking problems so I think you will be fine with what it has.

5.0 HO carbed, np435 with an np208 transfercase, 32 inch BFGoodrich M/T's, D30 SAS with 6.5 XJ coils, 63 inch leaves in rear.
dangerranger83 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2012, 10:34 PM   #4
Str8sixfan

Thanks that helps a little. I don't plan on throwing a lot of tire/power at my axle (likely somewhere between a 33-34" tire on 16s, so like 285s to 305s maybe), but I was thinking instead of doing an explorer rear upgrade with 4wheel disks I might just go overboard on the front disk set-up to keep costs down.

I won't have a lot of power either (2.3L here), but eventually on down the road (I dunno, 5 years after the swap), I'd like to throw some sort of 4cyl diesel motor at it. Probably won't ever really up the tire size beyond 35s, but I just sort of want whatever I put on the axle during the conversion to not be undersized clear down the road.
Old 04-01-2012, 11:55 AM   #5
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

dangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud ofdangerranger83 has much to be proud of

You dont want to put anything over 35's on a D30 or you may be asking for trouble quickly unless you go chromo shafts and whatnot.

5.0 HO carbed, np435 with an np208 transfercase, 32 inch BFGoodrich M/T's, D30 SAS with 6.5 XJ coils, 63 inch leaves in rear.
Old 04-01-2012, 02:08 PM   #6
Str8sixfan

yup I'm aware of that...sort of why I worded the previous post the way I did.
Old 04-01-2012, 04:26 PM   #7
Str8sixfan

Apparently some upgrade to Grand Cherokee rotors, but that involves getting the knuckle from them as well in addition to it changing the bolt pattern. I want to keep the 4.5 on 5.5 pattern, so I think I'll keep with the 4-wheel disk idea of swapping in an explorer 8.8
Old 04-08-2012, 09:18 PM   #8
cdawall

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge
I use this vehicle for: trails/daily driver
cdawall will become famous soon enough

There is nothing you can do to upgrade to larger front disks on a D30 without ditching 5 on 4.5" if you move to 5 on 5.5" you can swap a set of WJ knuckles on which will also give you crossover steering. It is a good swap, I highly recommend it. Cool thing is if you can run a cclip eliminator kit for the rear and move to 5 on 5.5" to match.

There was a rumor floating around a bit that the dual piston sport trac caliper and rotors on a D30 you just have shim them. I have not seen anyone do this however. I know for a fact the 2005 ranger calipers are not even close bolt hole wise.
Old 04-09-2012, 01:20 AM   #9
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

I may look into the sport track thing. What years were they dual piston, if not all of them?

Old 04-09-2012, 03:06 PM   #10
dangerranger83
5.0 HO under the hood!!!

I found this video on youtube for fitting a 2002 rotor on a D30. Dont know if it will work for an XJ but it may.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sJAgPJFJHHI

If doing this I recommend having a backup unit bearing with this mod already done to it so that you can do a quick replacement if needed.

I will looking around more for such info. on sport track brake swap stuff.

Heres a link to somemore stuff I found on it. Looks like it has to be shimmed .188 to .250. Some have used washers to space and there might be custom brackets made by Custom Overkill Fabrications (going to look into that).

Last edited by dangerranger83; 04-09-2012 at 03:18 PM.