Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Suspension & Armor > PreRunners

PreRunners Dedicated to legendary desert racer and Ranger driver Manny Esquerra.

Old 03-01-2012, 04:39 PM   #21
ES894x4
December 2013 STOTM

Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
ES894x4 is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Ray View Post
I'm all for people building they'er own stuff
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cody Ray View Post
They're isn't a misspelling of their, I just used the wrong word. Did someone pee in your cereal this morning or do you just enjoy pointing out trivial things to make yourself feel like a big man?
they'er is a misspelling of they're which was the wrong they're, their, there. just because its the interwebs doesn't mean the degradation of the english language is "trivial". some people enjoy not having to read at a 3rd grade level.
ES894x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-01-2012, 04:50 PM   #22
doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by motorbill87 View Post
Wow this went from a helpful conversation to a shit talking competition. The only person that "wins" is charlie sheen. So unless y'all are gonna have a duel lets end the dick swinging competition for now.
mine's shorter, i already know that.

wait...

Quote:
Originally Posted by ES894x4 View Post
they'er is a misspelling of they're which was the wrong they're, their, there. just because its the interwebs doesn't mean the degradation of the english language is "trivial". some people enjoy not having to read at a 3rd grade level.
thats what i wanted to say, but didn't.
Old 03-01-2012, 08:35 PM   #23
prerunnerwannabe

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Getting distracted....
prerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enoughprerunnerwannabe will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by doyouquaxu View Post
mine's shorter, i already know that.

Wait...
At least he is honest about it
prerunnerwannabe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-02-2012, 12:56 AM   #24
Cody Ray

Cody Ray is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by prerunnerwannabe View Post
At least he is honest about it
Lulz

I have a bit of dyslexia so you will have to excuse me if I read something multiple times and do not catch it.
Cody Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 01:56 PM   #25
2kxlt3.slow

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: RANGER
Vehicle Model: xlt 2wd 3.0
I use this vehicle for: Doing things i shouldn't
2kxlt3.slow is on a distinguished road

When you say using mild steel is fine for the building of the suspension components would that be hot rolled or cold rolled. just done a lot of searching and cant find definitive answer, im planning on fabing my own suspension aswell, planning on using 3/16 cold rolled if i can find it were im at, unless hot rolled is ok then thats everywere.
Old 03-11-2012, 03:45 AM   #26
redrider121

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge 2WD
redrider121 is on a distinguished road

I am working with a few professors at Sac State on which materials to use. I've come to the conclusion that, even though Chromoly is wayyy stronger, it doesn't have as long of a life span. So what I'm trying to say is that unless your on a professional, sponsored team and scrapping the frame/suspension every two years at the longest, it's vulnerable for failure because of fatigue.

So what this means is stronger the material=brittleness=fatigue=short life= $$$$. This goes for any material that is stronger. It seems as if standard hot rolled steel is the best way to go.

Cold rolled means its just cut and rolled super precisely to your specifications. But if your going to weld it, there will be some slight warpage which defeats the purpose of cold rolled haha. But maybe I'm getting cold rolled and flat bar confused....
redrider121 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 11:22 PM   #27
Cody Ray

Cody Ray is on a distinguished road

I believe flat bar can be hot or cold rolled. Cold rolling work hardens the metal and improves surface finish but requires multiple passes to produce the same thickness as hot rolled.
Cody Ray is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2012, 12:06 AM   #28
doyouquaxu

doyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the roughdoyouquaxu is a jewel in the rough

Quote:
Originally Posted by redrider121 View Post
I am working with a few professors at Sac State on which materials to use. I've come to the conclusion that, even though Chromoly is wayyy stronger, it doesn't have as long of a life span. So what I'm trying to say is that unless your on a professional, sponsored team and scrapping the frame/suspension every two years at the longest, it's vulnerable for failure because of fatigue.

So what this means is stronger the material=brittleness=fatigue=short life= $$$$. This goes for any material that is stronger. It seems as if standard hot rolled steel is the best way to go.

Cold rolled means its just cut and rolled super precisely to your specifications. But if your going to weld it, there will be some slight warpage which defeats the purpose of cold rolled haha. But maybe I'm getting cold rolled and flat bar confused....
on a race truck, i could see fatigue being an issue. but i doubt the OP will be out racing every chance he gets, if at all. 4130 would be fine and would hold up for the life of the truck.

lesser grades of metal can and are used, 4130's main reason for use is weight savings by being able to use a thinner piece of metal throughout. on a properly designed arm, you can use a bit thicker cold rolled plate and still be just as well off as using 4130.
Old 03-13-2012, 07:14 PM   #29
2kxlt3.slow

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Make: RANGER
Vehicle Model: xlt 2wd 3.0
I use this vehicle for: Doing things i shouldn't
2kxlt3.slow is on a distinguished road

From the reading ive done, if i understand correctly cold rolled is sent through the rollers at room temp making it both cleaner to work with than hot rolled but also tighter compression of the molecuels within the metal which equalls higher stregth? is that accurate? also the reason for asking is who can afford 4130 as a privateer building a DD/play truck. Cold rolled sheet is like 5x the price of hot rolled. i can swing cold rolled if it is infact stronger then hot rolled but if hot rolled is fine if you structure properly i would just go with that.

Last edited by 2kxlt3.slow; 03-13-2012 at 08:44 PM.
2kxlt3.slow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2012, 05:34 PM   #30
redrider121

Vehicle Year: 2005
Vehicle Model: Ranger Edge 2WD
redrider121 is on a distinguished road

Alright, I know this thread is kind of old and maybe gone crap lol. Anyways, I was just going to ask if anyone thinks I should attempt to use the stock uprights and spindles, or if I should fabricate my own?

Oh and a quick update, I think I'm going to make a subframe that bolts straight in to the existing a-arm/control arm locations with tabs for the new a-arms and control arms mounted a little bit lower. Also the subframe is going to have the shock hoops connected to it. The reasoning is it could give the front end some added strength, and better ground clearance. I know it will be heavier, but thats not the biggest concern. The biggest concern is making it as bolt-on as possible incase I ever need to go back to stock. And with the shock hoops mounted to the subframe, I'll only need to cut the wheel wells in one location so the cross bar for the top of the shock hoops can be mounted.

Nothing has happened yet, but as soon as it does, Ill post pictures.
redrider121 is offline   Reply With Quote