Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Old 03-09-2012, 10:50 AM   #31
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Multi-year Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
From what I read here, you can't bore a Pinto 2.0 out to 2.3, but a Ranger 2.0 block is just an under-bored 2.3.

My other block is a Ranger 2.0.

I'll have to go re-read the sticky!

Edit: All I saw in the sticky is where it said 2.0 is an under-bored 2.3.
I think it was Mark that said a Pinto 2.0 can't be bored to 2.3L because the side walls would be too thin. (= different block).
I think I mentioned the block differences a while ago but I didn't realize the difference of pre 89 2.3 engines...dang...means I can't stroke my 87 block...ah, well, I was kinda hoping to score a later model like the 96 with an M5OD-R1 transmission...

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotts90ranger View Post
you can't throw a 2.5 crank in a 2.0 block or any pre '89 2.3 block for that matter, the 2.5's are small journal.
Good point...I don't remember ever seeing anyone mention this previously...thanks...now the search can be narrowed down for my application...

Rome and my Ranger were not built in a day...
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 03-09-2012, 01:53 PM   #32
itlives

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
itlives will become famous soon enoughitlives will become famous soon enough

Good information to know before I go out on wild goose chase for nothing! (I have been known to do that!)

It's ok, a strong 2.3L will still be way more than I have now. Hell, a weak 2.3 would way more than what I have now ;)
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 11:12 PM   #33
upnsmoke

Vehicle Model: ranger
upnsmoke will become famous soon enoughupnsmoke will become famous soon enough

So just to clarify, a 2.0 Ranger block is a different casting from a 2.3 Ranger block, and can not be bored to 2.3 spec, right? I apologize if I am misinformed on this topic and have passed on incorrect information.
Old 03-10-2012, 07:48 AM   #34
itlives

This is from the sticky-

Blocks-
2.0 is an underbored 2.3, with the exception of the bore the blocks are identical to all
2.3’s

The only question I would have at this point is is the Mustang block the same as the Ranger block.

If it is, then I can use the 2.0 I have (Ranger) and build it right. Even if I can't bore the Ranger block out to 2.3, I could still bore it out some and balance it. To me, there's nothing like a balanced engine!
Old 03-10-2012, 08:34 AM   #35
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

The mustang 2.3 and ranger 2.3 are the same engine...the ranger went to an 8 plug head a few years before the mustang...

I wouldn't advise boring the 2.0 but you can have it honed when replacing rings and pistons...there may even be a forged piston for the 2.0 but not sure...but you don't need those unless you plan to some day used forced induction...and even then only if going over 5 psi...or so...

If you are planning on any short block work I would suggest find a 2.3 and over bore it...add new pistons and rings...maybe shave the head a bit...then drop a 4 plug head on it that has been reworked...maybe even put a slightly longer duration cam...but that's about it...

I guess if you want to use what you have then there is a bit of limitation...

When I obtained a 2.3 short block to replace my 2.0 I had them side by side...I was poking around checking the differences when I happened to put my hand on the 2.0 piston...I was able to actually move the piston side to side when it was at TDC...every one of them had quite a bit of wobble...I did the same to the 2.3 and the pistons did not budge at all...

This told me the 2.0 was severely worn...and I was quite happy to put the 2.3 in its place...

Old 03-10-2012, 09:09 AM   #36
itlives

Thanks Mark, I'll freshen up the 2.3 and be happy!
A bit of good news on my parts buying. I told you the guy "changed" his mind and wanted to keep the turbo. When I went back to get the engine, I said he ought to give me something in place of the turbo. He said what do you want?
I'll take that pressure plate -says I.
I just looked it up- low price, $300 -high price, $1000. It's for a 911 Porsche. I don't know what he had it for (and neither did he).
So, I'll let it pay for all the stuff I got!!!
Old 03-11-2012, 01:39 AM   #37
upnsmoke

Vehicle Model: ranger
upnsmoke will become famous soon enoughupnsmoke will become famous soon enough

Mark, when you can wiggle the pistons in the bores by hand, your motor is definitely in a bad way. My 2.0 was .060 over when I got it, which tells me it was likely rebuilt more than once, probably 3 times, in the 200k that I believe are on it. I do not believe any forged pistons are available off the shelf for the 2.0. I looked at one time. You can get pistons made at fairly reasonable prices should you decide you want to.
Itlives, great deal on the pressure plate. Good luck selling it. Sounds like it could pay for the whole engine you purchased plus the extra block you need.
Old 03-11-2012, 12:56 PM   #38
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

yeah, they were well past their "best before date"...

Not sure about the forged pistons either but anything is possible these days...with enough money and time we can build anything...

Old 03-11-2012, 01:54 PM   #39
itlives

Mark- I don't know if you're movie buff, but you should watch "The Worlds Fastest Indian" if you haven't seen it. Anthony Hopkins stars as the guy that set the world land speed record on an Indian (motorcycle). Great movie!
It starts out with him making his own pistons.
True story

Why do advise against boring out the 2L if it's the same block?
Old 03-11-2012, 05:18 PM   #40
chilsam

Vehicle Year: 91 branger
Vehicle Model: hybryd swb ranger bod fs bronco chassis
I use this vehicle for: FUN!
chilsam is on a distinguished road
Default ++++++++++++

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Mark- I don't know if you're movie buff, but you should watch "The Worlds Fastest Indian" if you haven't seen it. Anthony Hopkins stars as the guy that set the world land speed record on an Indian (motorcycle). Great movie!
It starts out with him making his own pistons.
True story

Why do advise against boring out the 2L if it's the same block?
That is a VERY GOOD movie!
chilsam is offline   Reply With Quote