Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Rowdy Fitzgerald'
August 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Flit-e' Dave'
August 2014 MTOTM

Old 02-27-2012, 02:46 PM   #11
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Multi-year Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Quote:
Originally Posted by upnsmoke View Post
I have the same issue with blowby. I'm working on a catch can setup currently.
I think we discussed this in another thread...but I mentioned I tried a catch can and it didn't work out for me...but it was more or less a hose into a bottle...what got me on that was the fumes and smoke so I want to do something better.

If you look at the way the FI models route that VC hose into the air intake that's essentially what I want to do...but move the filter off the carb and route it to where the air filter box is on the passenger side fender...

My original air intake came from under the battery platform and up through a series of hoses...and this would be better than stuffing the hose into a bottle or even a contraption like the PCV cannister on the driver side. I was going that route till I realized that it just wouldn't keep all that foam out for long...I will post some pics if/when I get mine done...hopefully it will work...

Quote:
Originally Posted by itlives View Post
Thanks for all the advice and general info. I guess it's time for a few trips to the pull-it places around town.

My plans are to use this engine as is. Once all the pipes and mounts are made it will easy peasy to switch out another built one.

Thanks again!
You're welcome again...have fun and definitely would love to see pics of the final version...or make a build thread since it is very unique application of this engine...to me anyway...

Rome and my Ranger were not built in a day...
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-27-2012, 03:49 PM   #12
upnsmoke

Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger
upnsmoke will become famous soon enoughupnsmoke will become famous soon enough

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark_88 View Post
I think we discussed this in another thread...but I mentioned I tried a catch can and it didn't work out for me...but it was more or less a hose into a bottle...what got me on that was the fumes and smoke so I want to do something better.

If you look at the way the FI models route that VC hose into the air intake that's essentially what I want to do...but move the filter off the carb and route it to where the air filter box is on the passenger side fender...

My original air intake came from under the battery platform and up through a series of hoses...and this would be better than stuffing the hose into a bottle or even a contraption like the PCV cannister on the driver side. I was going that route till I realized that it just wouldn't keep all that foam out for long...I will post some pics if/when I get mine done...hopefully it will work...
I came across that thread today. I think I can picture what you have planned. I don't see any reason it shouldn't work. I suppose I can see where you are coming from on the smoke and fumes, though I wonder sometimes if I have become somewhat immune to CO myself over the years, as pretty much every vehicle I have owned has ended up at least for some period of time with a cat-less exhaust that exited more or less directly below the passenger compartment. Currently my hose is just hanging behind the engine by the firewall with a rag rubber banded over the end. That is not the best idea, but it beats a soggy air filter. I'm going to put together a can with some baffles in it at some point.

Itlives, you could have a nice running piece with port work and a roller cam. That is what I would do if I had to start over with mine again. I just have a ported 2.0 head and an aftermarket hydraulic slider cam, and mine feels pretty healthy.
Old 02-28-2012, 12:53 PM   #13
itlives

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
itlives will become famous soon enoughitlives will become famous soon enough

I hate to do it but I saw this yesterday and just HAVE to go look. Just got off the phone with him. I'm supposed to meet a 4. The block and head sound real good to me since I don't know the condition of mine. But, I'm mainly going to check out the intake (and prices of everything else).
http://shreveport.craigslist.org/pts/2815105429.html

If anyone sees this and wants to know what he has just put a reply in here.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-28-2012, 01:57 PM   #14
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Dang...that sounds too good to be true...a Ranger owners dream...I'd grab the head and short block just for the price...and a couple of intakes...

Actually, the scrap value alone on some of that stuff would pay for quite a bit of upgrades...auto cast is worth way more than shred steel...bring a trailer!

Old 02-28-2012, 09:38 PM   #15
itlives

It looks like a great deal. It's a 1987 2.3 turbo, new head. I don't know the condition of the bottom end.
Can I just put higher compression pistons in the block and put a carb on the intake?
Will a carb work on a turbo intake?

He's got a crap load of parts. I offered him $250 and he accepted that. He said I'd have to take it all because he's tired of moving it around. I told him I'd have to reasearch it more.
Will my adapter plate fit on the '87 block?

That head looks awesome! The turbo won't work on my truck unless I cut the bed and make a box for it. I'm reluctant to do that.

My friend said he'd come look at it with me and see what he thinks.
Oh yeah, it's a d port head.
Old 02-28-2012, 10:58 PM   #16
upnsmoke

Not sure about that intake. I'm not sure if they were still doing it in 87, but in the 80's ford actually had some setups where they were carbureting through the turbo. That is to say that the air/fuel mixture exited the carburetor, and then went through the turbo and into the intake manifold. I can't tell you much about the that setup, as far as whether or not the 87 motor would have it or whether the intake manifold would be different from a non turbo manifold. Also, I have read that turbo heads are often cracked. This is a thread I came across on another forum -link-and this is an article by circle track-link- paragraphs 3-6 have some things to look for.
Old 02-29-2012, 07:44 AM   #17
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Yes, have the head tested for cracks...if it is new then it should be fine...magnaflux testing is only about $50 but it is worth it...

I looked into the carbed turbo...only increases HP by about 25 or so...wasn't worth the effort from what I could see...but...stroking the 2.3 block to a 2.5 would help on the trailer pulling...

My ideal engine for my application would be a stroked 2.3 with forged pistons and turbo...but I think I would limit it to about 10 - 15 psi so as not to give me a reason to get speeding tickets...lol

Old 02-29-2012, 08:06 AM   #18
itlives

I think the head is new and the guy just has everything mocked up to show it. He hasn't ever had it together and running.
I'm going to take my friend over there to check it out.

If I get it, do you think anyone here would want the turbo (and intake, if I can't use it).
Old 02-29-2012, 09:47 PM   #19
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

I'm sure you could find someone interested...find out what it was off of...if it was a turbo coupe or XR4Ti or SVO mustang...they are similar but not the same from certain years...the 88 Turbo Coupe had an intercooler if I recall correctly...and not sure what year they started that..but it's probably posted in the turbo section here or elsewhere...

Once you know the details you could advertise it on here in the parts for sale section...as long as it is in working order...just a matter of price and shipping...

Old 02-29-2012, 10:54 PM   #20
upnsmoke

I would be interested if it is a T3. It is more likely an IHI though, if it is an 87. Someone will want it either way.