Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'RICO9'
July 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Cole' Dave'
July 2014 MTOTM

Old 02-25-2012, 04:56 PM   #11
87Jeffrey

Vehicle Year: 1989
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT
87Jeffrey is on a distinguished road

ok do the computer chips that say they'll give more power and getter fuel Econmy really work or are they just a scam.
87Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-26-2012, 12:03 AM   #12
Bennybooster

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Driving over stuff
Bennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to beholdBennybooster is a splendid one to behold

Quote:
Originally Posted by kemo View Post
or you could get an unleaded car that gets almost the same mileage, with a lower priced fuel, and it isn't a VW. win win win.
Could you find a gasser that gets 45mpg and is the same price as an old GTI?

Plus I have a place to get diesel for basically the same price as gas
Old 02-26-2012, 10:39 AM   #13
87Jeffrey

87Jeffrey is on a distinguished road

the only thing I know of that could get anything near that MPG is like foreign cars like the Civic and they are not big enough for a family of 5 plus luggage
87Jeffrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:53 AM   #14
RustedRanger

Vehicle Year: 1987
I use this vehicle for: Everyday driver
RustedRanger will become famous soon enough

The 4.3L can get good mileage,I had a 86 Monte Carlo with a 4.3,the only thing I changed was to a K&N air filter,Bosch plugs,and Slick 50 and it had a little taller tire then stock on the back and I was getting 30 mpg. Back then I had a 60 mile round trip to work and each day and I usually just put in $2 in gas a day...of course thats when gas was 99 cents a gallon. The 4.3 is smaller than a V-8 but the V-6 has a better torque curve,it starts earlier and stays "fatter" longer. I don't know what gears it had but the RPM at 55 was only like 1600 or 1800 rpm...I can't remember for sure that was around 92 or so lol
RustedRanger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-09-2012, 10:54 PM   #15
Will
Super Moderator

Vehicle Model: Bronco II
I use this vehicle for: a chicken house
Will has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud ofWill has much to be proud of

Quote:
Originally Posted by 85_Ranger4x4 View Post
Odd, every vehicle I have been in gets better milage the lighter it is and the less hard the engine is working...

From what I have gathered V6's in fullsizes are a joke...
I don't know how to respond except to say that my experience is exactly opposite.

A V6 in a full-size isn't a joke. My dad has a 1500 crewcab Ram and I drove it around a while without knowing it was a 3.7 V6. It's stronger than the 5.7 2500 I used to tow my B2 to meets with. Gets a lot better mileage, too.

I've seen a lot of full-sizes with the 4.3. You can't tell by driving them. You open the hood and can't find the engine, that's how you tell. The 5.7 makes more power, but you won't notice unless you use it and then it will cost you.
Will is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 11:11 AM   #16
85_Ranger4x4
December 2013 OTOTM

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Model: Ranger
I use this vehicle for: A weapon of massive consumption.
85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future85_Ranger4x4 has a brilliant future

When I am pulling a trailer, milage goes down. Everywhere on the internet they say to lighten your vehicle to improve milage. It takes more energy to move more weight, otherwise they would be putting little four cylinders in semi trucks...

Gotta keep the V6 to V8 comparisons relative to their period counterparts...

My cousin had an '89 1500 4.3 5-spd... it was a gas sucking pig. My dad's '92 1500 GMC automatic with a 350 would put down better milage and could actually get out of its own way... they didn't compare well at all.

The 4.2 in the F-150's is rated a measily 2-3mpg better than the 5.4... for what you are giving up in power that makes it a joke IMO. Same goes for the new 3.7 (which the local dealer has yet to sell one of) vs the new 5.0, a couple mpg and a much peakier powerband to save a grand... it is worth it to me to go with the V8. The Ecoboost V6 doesn't play fair at all however...

Build Thread

We act as though comfort and luxury were the chief requirements of life, when all that we need to make us really happy is something to be enthusiastic about. Charles Kingsley (1819-75)
85_Ranger4x4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-10-2012, 04:16 PM   #17
chilsam

Vehicle Year: 91 branger
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: hybryd swb ranger bod fs bronco chassis
I use this vehicle for: FUN!
chilsam is on a distinguished road

The 460 in my 79 sno fiter gets WAAAAAY better mileage than the 351m I took out FACT!
chilsam is offline   Reply With Quote