Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'AgPete139'
September 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'alexp11'
September 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Bulletins (Welcome, News/Announcements, Problems & Submissions) > Introduce Yourself

Introduce Yourself
Click HERE to meet our Forum Staff

Old 02-25-2012, 06:53 PM   #1
itlives

Vehicle Year: 1985
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
itlives will become famous soon enoughitlives will become famous soon enough
Default The Black Sheep of the family

Hello, my name is Mike. I'm in Louisiana. I have 1985 2.3 engine. Yup, just an engine (well, the transmission came with it, too, but I'm not usin it).

My project is putting it in a 1971 VW truck. I have all the conversion pieces I need. I am starting to look at the poor, pitiful engine that needs some amino acids and protien.

I see after market intakes for the Mustang head with the "D" ports. Does anyone make an intake for the round port head of the Ranger? I have a dual throat 40 Weber that I would like to use. I also have a Holley 5200 (I think that's the number) That would be better on gas but not so much power.

I'm building this to pull a 13' Fiberglass camper. I can pull it right now with the VW engine and the truck tranny. The VW truck trans is geared too low to take a long trip with -which is what I have planned.

I have a later model bus trans to mate up too the 2.3L. I also have headers.

So, long story short, I need some ideas on a betterer than stock intake and carb. Is there such an animal?

Here's my set-up.

Last edited by itlives; 02-25-2012 at 06:59 PM.
itlives is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-25-2012, 07:07 PM   #2
Ak907Girl

Vehicle Year: 2008
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: F-150 XL
I use this vehicle for: Being a Big Girl!
Ak907Girl is just really niceAk907Girl is just really niceAk907Girl is just really niceAk907Girl is just really niceAk907Girl is just really nice

That's the coolest VW truck EVER!!! haha I want one.
Old 02-25-2012, 07:43 PM   #3
Mark_88
Einstein I'm NOT

Vehicle Year: 1988
Vehicle Model: Multi-year Ranger
I use this vehicle for: Space travel
Mark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond reputeMark_88 has a reputation beyond repute

Welcome Mike...that is a cool VW...

There are a number of options for the 2.3 intake and carb...depends on what you can spend on it..

I have a 2.3 with an intake from a 78 Mustang II and a Motorcraft 5200 carb...but there are other options...slip into the 2.3 forum and have a look around...my 2.3 came from an 87 Ranger...the head (4 plug) came from a 91 Mustang...the wiring is from an 88 2.0 that originally was carbed with the Asian (POS) carb but I swapped that out...so the distributor and wiring is original on my truck...sort of...

If you can find an adapter for the carb and get an intake from an 86 fuel injected 2.3 you'd be good to go...but I'm curious about the transmission...an M5OD transmission from a 2.3 would work...or the R1 M5OD (later revised model) would be best...but if you have a limitation on the transmission then a proper bell housing to mate it up with you could put what you want...

I'm not good with trannys but I know what I want to do with mine...take a look at some of the threads in the 2.3 2000 or older and you might find some ideas on what will work for you...

Good Luck on this one...and keep us posted...

Rome and my Ranger were not built in a day...

Last edited by Mark_88; 02-25-2012 at 07:45 PM.
Mark_88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2012, 08:27 PM   #4
itlives

Thanks Mark for the info.I have to find that forum From what I've learned, you have a D port head -correct?
My transmission is still VW. I have an Esslinger adapter. Here's two pics -everything is dirty
-
Old 02-25-2012, 09:37 PM   #5
Earl43P
Premium Member

Vehicle Year: 2000
I use this vehicle for: a driveway ornament, light hauling
Earl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really niceEarl43P is just really nice

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...d.php?t=121651

http://www.therangerstation.com/foru...er.php?u=60253

He might have some insight.
Old 02-26-2012, 09:02 AM   #6
itlives

Thanks Earl, chazz is on the site that I have my build thread on. I know I've looked at his info over there. I'll PM him from the site. Here it is-
http://www.shoptalkforums.com/viewto...?f=19&t=138764