Home Discussion Forum Tech Articles Other Articles Featured Rides Readers Rides Classifieds Shirts & Decals Parts Store

Ford Ranger Discussion Forum

Off-Road Truck Of The Month

'Kona'
June 2014 OTOTM

Mini Truck Of The Month

'Dazzlin' Dave'
June 2014 MTOTM

Go Back   The Ranger Station Forums > Truck Discussions > General Discussions

General Discussions This forum is for general discussions. Place posts that don't fit in any other forums here.

Old 02-24-2012, 07:46 PM   #11
FFparker

Vehicle Year: 1999
Vehicle Make: Ford
Vehicle Model: Ranger
FFparker is on a distinguished road

I have 31s and My speedo is like 2 or 3 off of the real speed. Go with a 30 or 31 inch tire. If you don't like the BFGs maybe try goodyear duratracs
FFparker is offline   Reply With Quote
Forum Notices (Not shown to 'Premium Members')

Reminder:

We're looking for participants to help move our banner from Alaska to Florida: Click HERE.

Click HERE to see the banner map.

Want to become a Premium Member & not see these notices? Click HERE.

Want your truck considered for Truck Of The Month? Click HERE.

Don't forget to vote!

Old 02-24-2012, 07:51 PM   #12
2K4ranger

Vehicle Year: 2004
Vehicle Model: Ranger 2wd xlt 7ft bed
I use this vehicle for: Daily Driver, light hunting trails
2K4ranger will become famous soon enough

I should mention I do want the all terrains for when I go hunting , it's not muddy or steep on the trials buts plenty rocky and my little walmart brand specials(dealer put them on there) just don't like it, and I go out there about every other week.The storage locker seems like a good idea but I have no way to change them out. i have the tools but not the space and or time, so I just kinda looking for something all year, that's why I'm leaning more toward the general tire grabber. as the seem better all year and with 225/75R15 it's just a touch bigger. i more concerned with rubbing and gear changes and such with these. as again no time and space. yes all my coworkers have second sets of tires for their cars. but being fresh outta college kinda sucks, for pretty much everything.

But once again thank you for your advice, this won't be for a while now as it's almost spring and my wlamarts have some life left in them. I'm just trying to research and get all options on the table before doing something.
2K4ranger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 07:52 PM   #13
2K4ranger

I'm in it pretty much 24/7 on call, my boss expects me to come in at 1 am if a sever messes up.
Old 02-24-2012, 07:53 PM   #14
2K4ranger

Hell if it works up in tronto it would probably work here.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:02 PM   #15
2K4ranger

so in your opinion is it truly better just to get the extra set as I'm getting married soon and a garage might be in the future, although I'd probably buy some nice ones for the summer and keep my stock ones for winter since their flaking.
Old 02-24-2012, 08:15 PM   #16
mawz

Vehicle Year: 2000
Vehicle Model: Ranger XLT Supercab
mawz is on a distinguished road

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2K4ranger View Post
so in your opinion is it truly better just to get the extra set as I'm getting married soon and a garage might be in the future, although I'd probably buy some nice ones for the summer and keep my stock ones for winter since their flaking.
In snow country yeah, proper winter tires are really worth it. I'm actually pretty much in the same boat (apartment dweller running a 2WD truck in snow country). A 2WD truck is in a lot of ways just about the worst snow vehicle out there, sandbags help a bunch but as you've found you still slip & slide without chains or winter tires and you don't want to be running chains if you are on bare pavement much, they're dirt/gravel/snow only.

Right now I've got all-seasons on my truck as its in storage for the next month or so, with my snow tires in storage. Eventually I'll be running A/T's for the summer and snow tires for winter, although the snow tires are overkill for Toronto proper (it's not that snowy here, but I regularly head north where I'll need them). I do need to get a second set of rims though, so I can leave my snow tires mounted.
mawz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:18 PM   #17
racsan

Vehicle Year: 1993
Vehicle Make: ford
Vehicle Model: ranger s/c
I use this vehicle for: gitten' it done!
racsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura aboutracsan has a spectacular aura about
Send a message via ICQ to racsan Send a message via AIM to racsan Send a message via Yahoo to racsan

i have 2 sets of tires/wheels. my "summer" set are the stock alloys that came with the truck and they currently running uniroyal liberator tires (from wal-mart) there good for the non-snow time and have a high load & treadwear rating. they are best for dry pavement though, they like to slide on wet pavement and ive tried them off-road before, not good in the dirt if its wet at all. my winter set is only ran from nov-march. they are a set of 15x7 steel rims from a '01 jeep wrangler. the tires on them are from pep boys, formerly known as the dakota futura, now known as definity dakota at-2. they have a real similar tread pattern like the bfg a/t. i just got a set a few weeks ago, they didnt have the "P" version of the tire in stock so i went with the "LT" version (6 ply insted of 4) they were kind of expensive though, about $140 a tire. but theyve been awesome in the snow for me, have a 50,000 treadwear rating and dont howl at you like a bias mud tire does. both sets are the stock size of 235-75-15. id run the dakota's year round but like to keep my good-looking alloys out of the salt they use in the winter. you might consider adding a limited slip differential to your rear end. having both rear tires pulling for you rather than just one could help things out a bit.
racsan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2012, 08:26 PM   #18
2K4ranger

The tire rack guy just said keep my stock size more hassal than it's worth and I would lose the handling I love, and get either a second set, which would be nice but there's that whole price time space thing.Funny for having to work dumb hours, I don't get paid a lot.Or just roll with some mild at/highways like the grabbers or Goodyear wranglers. According to them an inch in height wouldn't even really make my truck sit higher.So probably going to do one of those two. thanks for your time and commits and advice.

anyone also know where to get an performance exhaust system(cat back) for my truck can't find one with the 7foot bed and all.
Old 02-25-2012, 11:12 AM   #19
Rose2300

Vehicle Year: 1996
Vehicle Make: Toyota
Vehicle Model: 4Runner
I use this vehicle for: off road beast
Rose2300 will become famous soon enoughRose2300 will become famous soon enough

dude you would be perectly fine with bigger tires don't listen to the tire rack guy haha. I agree that the duratrac's are a good tire
Rose2300 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2012, 08:02 PM   #20
2K4ranger

I guess it would mess with my backspacing and braking, and for what I would gain I would lose more. Just gonna get the generals and see how they do. I'm curious though what the smart car going through 10 inches of snow was using because that guy was doing about 30 faster than everyone. That or hes just insane, oh yeah it's a smart car so probably just insane.