• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

AVM Manual Locking Hubs for 98 Ranger

ozziemo27

June 2010 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1999/1984
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 & 2.3
Transmission
Automatic
sorry, i was thinking about the clip that holds the hub to the wheel. the plastic clip that broke and were zip tied together ina previous post.
ohhhh

masterbrenden

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1998/2010
Make / Model
ford/ford
Engine Size
3.0l v6/4.0l v6
Transmission
Automatic
you would have to make "fingers" so that it would give a little to get in then expand out to lock in place.
i would put the clamps on after the hub was in place

Jon4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Has anyone ever figured out what the deal is with these? is there anything else we can do?

wvcat

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I also have a broken hub, anybody have one to sell?
John

Doom's Day Custom

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
I was looking to buy some hubs cheap to see if i can build something to make work better and not blow apart and if you guy having for sale pm me please !!!!!!

Jon4x4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Still nothing huh?

Baseline 4x4

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Clear Some things in the air up.

This is Jarod at Baseline 4x4 Outfitters. I just want to clear a few things up on this thread.

Hi Folks,
About 3 months ago I ordered a set of AVM Manual Locking hubs for my 1998 Ford Ranger. These came with a six month warranty. In 3 months the hub which was made of "military" grade plastic, snapped during highway driving, 4x4 was not engaged. I contacted the Baseline 4x4 Outfitters, the place I ordered them from. They have refused to honor my warranty. I contacted the Better Business Bureau, and they are putting a warranty guarantee flag out on this company. They are letting consumers know that Baseline 4x4 Outfitters will not honor their warranties. Please do not get yourself into the situation I am in. I have broken hubs, and am out $160.00 +. Please spread the word not to order from this decietful company. Thanks and happy 4 wheelin!!!!

Bldthrst
98 Ranger 4X4
We did offer to replace the single hub if you pay the shipping. This agreement was deemed above and beyond the expectations of an online company by the BBB. This involved us biting the bullet as Rugged Ridge said they would not cover a warranty with out the bad hub back. We do not handle the direct warranties with these hubs we merely pass them on to Rugged Ridge if there was a problem with the hub. This requires the hub to be sent to them. Also the failure has to be caused by an issue with the hub. The sloppy half shaft causing the hub to "grenade" does not validate a warranty as this is a problem caused because another piece did not perform.

I also have a broken hub, anybody have one to sell?
John
We do sell individual hubs on our site as we have had people break them off by some external force.

As for the hubs they now carry a 3 year manufacturer warranty from Rugged Ridge. Rugged Ridge will cover a warranty if there is/was a problem with the hub, but they require the return of the hub for inspection of defects as any company would require for a warranty claim.

Hope this clears up some of the issues people had with our company and the AVM/Rugged Ridge Hubs. Feel free to contact me with any questions you might have on these hubs.

Jarod
1-866-554-5946 (toll free)

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I have found that the best way to get a warranty honored is to deal directly with the manufacturer. I've done this with my Holley carb. Send them the old one, they'll send you a replacement.

They're not going to just send you a replacement without getting the old one back for inspection. Otherwise they'll just end up giving away free parts to people.

Asking a dealer to honor the manufacturers warranty is a burden on the dealer. They're out the money until the manufacturer replaces it. In many cases your warranty paperwork will tell you to contact the manufacturer direct instead of the dealer.

I know the OP stated that this happened on the highway, but it cracks me up when people want a hub replaced under warranty because they broke it wheeling offroad somewhere.

Spootnuke

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Engine Size
V6
Transmission
Manual
I have found that the best way to get a warranty honored is to deal directly with the manufacturer. I've done this with my Holley carb. Send them the old one, they'll send you a replacement.

They're not going to just send you a replacement without getting the old one back for inspection. Otherwise they'll just end up giving away free parts to people.

Asking a dealer to honor the manufacturers warranty is a burden on the dealer. They're out the money until the manufacturer replaces it. In many cases your warranty paperwork will tell you to contact the manufacturer direct instead of the dealer.

I know the OP stated that this happened on the highway, but it cracks me up when people want a hub replaced under warranty because they broke it wheeling offroad somewhere.
Well spoken. I just bought a set, and I just finished putting new hub bearing assemblies on. I don't think I'll have any problems.

cr_the_machinist

Supporting Member
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L OHV
Transmission
Automatic
I've had these on my 99 for 2 years now and I've never had a problem with mine. Hope your replacement works out for the better for you.

Jebadoo

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1994 and 1998
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
New member here, been looking to join and finally did.

Now as far as the AVM/Rugged Ridge hubs.... I have them installed on my '98 3.0 manual turning 245/85/15's... roughly 32x 9.50's, and they were doing fine both on and off-road. Even took the truck on a high-speed run on the highway a few times. Never fell off or blew apart.

Only problem I've had with them was after a rather soupy adventure through a mud-hole here in Central PA Thanksgiving night. Dug through mud fine got me home fine, when the mud froze inside the hubs.... then they finally failed, three weeks later. Took hubs off, cleaned them.... one is a little chewed up on the inside but still works. The hubs get kind of tempermental from time to time but I won't complain, I drive in the city most of the time anyhow with the occasional off-roading on the weekends. All-in-all they are fairly tough... at least mine have been.

Sorry for a wordy first post. Nice to meet you all :icon_thumby:

stevenv7173

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
turn stock hub locks into manual locks

so my hub locks became unreliable and here in MD your in and out of 4wd all the time when it snows you will have a mile of clean road and the next will be snow covered i kinda wish i had part time 4wd any way it seams the hubs work on this retarded vacuum system that that counts on a lot of thing to be just right most importantly no leaks

so i looked in to manual locks 160$ was to much for such a cheep little part so i wonder if i could make the stock hubs stay locked so i took one apart and found when you undo the cap (flat head and light tap with a hammer ) you can see how it works i found out if you brake off the screen and wagon wheel thing and put it back together you can stick your finger in the whole push half way its unlocked push all the way it locked wala manual hubs for free

stevenv7173

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
one more thing

the way the hubs mount it counts on like 8 or so tinny plastic clips if you put a large zip tie around the clips this will greatly in prove your chance of keeping your hub as gheeto as it sounds

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals