• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Not sure if this will help anyone.

zukirider21

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I'm sure we're all aware that the clutch on our rangers is a pain to bleed. I found out the hard way. I forgot to bench bleed the master, and realized after everything was put together and I was ready to test drive it. I havent heard of this technique before (hence why I'm posting it), but I pulled it out of my ass and it worked damn good. I thought it was kind of creative haha. Maybe it will help someone (tech library maybe?). Instead of pulling the stupid thing back out, I bled everything below it as usual (gravity of course, but had no pedal at all), then filled the reservoir with fluid, and put the diaphragm and cap on. I then took a short section of inverted flare 3/16" brake line, and put one end on the little nub for the vent hole in the cap (taper makes a nice seal on it), and sucked on the other end. the diaphragm constricted and drew the bubbles into the reservoir, where they floated to the top. i then released the vacuum on the reservoir and the void in the master sucked in straight fluid. I did that a few times and the clutch was good to go :yahoo:

Last edited:

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
That is a very good idea! I am very impressed, I will keep that in the back of my mind for next time, but the idea and principal are very sound.....lets hope some people try this and comment on it!

kcm1582

Ford Technician
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Interesting idea, you should do a write up and post some pics. Only thing is I might try a vacuum pump instead.

colby450xc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
They make pumps for doing that, go ahead and post some pics of you sucking on a brake line anyway. Lol, just messing with ya, that's quick thinkin.:icon_cheers:

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
Or tap into a vacuum line. Same idea for bleeding a power steering system. Except you need a catch can.

robertc1024

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
nada
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Good idea - and timely as I am going to replace my M/C ASAP. I was thinking about doing it backwards - attaching a syringe full of brake fluid via a flexible tube to the bleed nipple on the transmission and pushing it up through the system.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
That is a good idea. Its basically how the Mustang clutches get done.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can see this idea becoming popular, but have a feeling it was a closely guarded Ranger Clutch Cult secret. Rep to you Zuk.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know....I'll stick with my power bleeder. Don't think I'd care much for the taste of brake (or any other automotive) fluid......:)

Captain Ledd

Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1984, 1997
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
302, 2.3
Transmission
Manual
My credo
If you're not making mistakes, you're not learning.
I don't know....I'll stick with my power bleeder. Don't think I'd care much for the taste of brake (or any other automotive) fluid......:)
It's kind of bitter, but not that bad.

Coolant on the other hand, now that's some good stuff.

I almost forgot about my power steering bleeder thread, good to see it's success being spread around. I took alot of crap the first time around I started telling people about it. Maybe I will try to put that in Tech library format.

And an extra props to Zuki because I hope to do my clutch sometime soon here. I would have not thought to do it on the clutch setup.

94 lngbd

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Or a power bleeder.....
I had even checked with a transmission shop when I did mine a few years ago & even they said that the system on Rangers seams to be the hardest & even power bleeding doesn't always work for them.

sblake01

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I had even checked with a transmission shop when I did mine a few years ago & even they said that the system on Rangers seams to be the hardest & even power bleeding doesn't always work for them.
Well, my Ranger is an automatic so I can't say with certainty about the clutch but I've used a power bleeder on the brakes with no problem and you know how problematic the ABS system on a 2nd gen can be. I've also used a power bleeder on numerous vehicles and numerous bleeding situations over the last 45 years; brakes, power steering, clutches, etc. and never had a problem so I think it's in knowing how to use it.

voodoochylde

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Automatic
Great idea! Mine bled fairly easily but I will definitely keep this in mind. Rep'd!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals