• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

SCX-10 Bronco

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
This is my second scale crawler project, it's been 10 years since my last one. I think i did pretty good. Originally it was a stock SCX-10 TR that I drove the snot out of all summer. I had worn out almost every joint on it and had to do a complete rebuild, so I decided to stretch the wheelbase and paint up a pro-line 1973 Bronco. Yes, the body is too long and the rear windows look strange, but it climbs better with the longer wheelbase.

jhammel85

That's pretty cool. There's quite a bit of RC Crawlers on here.

Wish I could join the ranks but..I'm just too poor at the moment :D

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Less than $300 brand new, very rugged little things. I bought one and a friend bought one last spring. His is mostly untouched, and only has worn out one rear upper joint on the axle and needed the shocks refilled once. The box has enough spare parts with it where all you need is the truck, a battery, and a charger. Oh, and locktite the setscrews on the axles - the universals fall right off the truck until you glue the screws.

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
AWSOME...

i picked up a Losi mini Rock Crawleri and have maybe 150 into it, got a smoken deal on it at the local rc shop as it was a demo. I got a ton of part's with it and have monkied around with about everything on the dang thing tryin to get the most out of it. i improved the suspension flex by about 65 percent by doing very little. it almost has too much now but for using on couche's and around the yard it does just fine. the only thing i really put any money into was gettin the body and painting it (all of 15 I.I.R.C.) EB's ROCK
even tho mine's not a scale crawler or nothin. the body is acctually for the losi mini T but i made it fit.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Nice flex! Mine doesn't have much articulation right now. The stock shocks are too short to have the body tucked down on the frame like I do. At full compression, there is still 3/4" of shock travel left, and they are pretty much fully extended at ride height, do it has pretty much zero drop-out. I'm going to change that, but first I need a new M5OD for my real truck, mine has loose bearings and worn gears.

kroussinoffroad

October 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ferd
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
if you cant tell by the orange hose on the shock's i did some "fine" tuning to the suspension using some misc. spring's i have about 1/4 travel of droop. with this body i cant really fully tuck the tire's notice the body isnt pinned down. I use the stock body when i run it around at the rc shop and try and compete. the factroy body has been hacked to pieces for clerance. most ppl cut fender's for clerance i had to cut the hood and box off the factory body.

as far as the M5OD hope all goes well for you. it look's like i will be throwin a clutch in mine if i run it in my next truck should hold up to what is left for the B4000

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Got my Mazda all fixed up, so I spent some time and money on the Bronco. I went from 1.9 tires to 2.2's, so now it has 4.8" tall tires on it. The math works out to roughly a 44" scale tire, since the body is about 1/9th scale. I also stuck the longest shocks I could find on it, they're just under 6" long. I've got zip-ties as down-travel limiters on the front and rear, and they don't interfere with articulation much and the front one is only there so it doesn't throw the front driveshaft so easy - my driveline angles are absolutely horrid - about 50 degrees on the front transmission u-joint at full droop without the limiter. I'd re-locate the tranny, but the lower suspension links attach to it. I'm working on a fix - I'll probably have to make a drop bracket setup that has integrated suspension mounts, but I need to keep it strong, I run this thing pretty hard. I'm very pleased with how it drives now. I also killed my rock crawling motor - so I went back to stock. The huge jump in power was probably for the best with tires this size. It powers through about any mudhole I can point it at.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's pretty cool. There's quite a bit of RC Crawlers on here.

Wish I could join the ranks but..I'm just too poor at the moment :D
you can get them cheap man. i was poor when i bought mine, $165 out the door. i got a job a little while after and i've probably put that much back into it with upgrades.

i want a scaler one day, but it's been months since i've driven my maxstone 10, so i doubt i get one until we have kids.....then i'm gonna have ALL the badass toys, lol

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Mine has cost about $800 to build so far - and I have to spend about $300 more. I need cvd's, a better radio, more batteries, and a different motor.

88_Eddie

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1988, 2000
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L, 4.0L
Transmission
Manual
Mine has cost about $800 to build so far - and I have to spend about $300 more. I need cvd's, a better radio, more batteries, and a different motor.
$1100?!?!?!?! DAMN. i'd rather put that into my b2. i could do so freakin much with 1100 bucks.

it's still badass though, those things can do stuff my b2 will NEVER be able to do

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
It's not all in the truck. I have a killer charging/battery cycling setup, and I run batteries that are $50 a pop in this thing. Some parts have been removed and replaced with more durable pieces, and I've been through a few sets of shocks and springs to find out what works best.

This also isn't really a scale crawler anymore. More of just a scale truck, it doesn't climb near-vertical like it used to, it tips over now. I've built it to take it on hikes with me - I have trouble walking, and this takes my mind off of my foot while I walk long distances. It's not just a toy.

ramit04

Firefighter
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
dodge
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.7 hemi
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
33 12.50
$1100?!?!?!?! DAMN. i'd rather put that into my b2. i could do so freakin much with 1100 bucks.

it's still badass though, those things can do stuff my b2 will NEVER be able to do

ive got around 1200 in my 4x4 truck, it can get rediculous!! :bawling:

06RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
nice! heres my scx 10:

also have a brushless traxxas slash 2wd baja truck.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
Well, I blew apart both the front and rear driveshafts tonight. Going to try and make a set of my own tonight, if that fails, I'll just buy some steel ones. I wanna drive it tomorrow though, lol. I'll post pics later of what I come up with, need something that'll survive the crazy driveline angle I have. I might lower it, too.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals