• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

302,toploader 4 speed in 89 2wd ranger

warmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
soon 2b 302
Transmission
Manual
i am planning to build a 302 with a toploader 4 speed and possibly a rearend from a 68 mustang in a 89 2wd ranger and was wondering about what flywheel combo might work and what kind of driveshaft would work and also if the rearend would fit under the ranger?

sparky

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
Well if the engine is before 1981 (around that time frame) you will need a 28 oz imbalance flywheel, after that year you will need a 50oz flywheel. When you find a toploader keep the slip yoke, you will probalbly have to have a driveshaft made for your application. As for as the rear,i don't know if it will fit, you may be better off finding a 8.8 out of another ranger that will bee a bolt in. Hope this helps, good luck with your project.:icon_thumby:

baddad457

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Manual
I have a Toploader 4 speed in my 89 Ranger. I used the stock aluminum 1960's Toploader bell, with a McCleod hydraulic throwout bearing and the Ranger's 7/8 bore master cylinder.The flywheel in it now is a Ford 157 tooth 50 oz/in for a 80-90's Mustang. I used it for a few years with the stock Ranger driveshaft (2 piece) and the original 7.5 rear. All you need it mate the Toploader slip yoke to the Ranger shaft is a combination U joint. Your local parts house has these. After about a year or two, the 7.5 rear started leaking at the right axle seal, I then swapped in a Ranger 8.8 with 3.08's. Later I bought an Explorer 8.8 with 3.73's and trac-loc then had it narrowed to 52" to fit the 15 x 10 aluminum slot wheels in the fenderwells. The Toploader is a 60's wide ratio small block unit, but I swapped the tailshaft housing to a 390Mustang/Fairlane tailhousing to move the shifter forward. Even then I still had to do some floor surgery to clear the Hurst Competition Plus shifter.

Last edited:

warmachine

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
soon 2b 302
Transmission
Manual
cool thx baddad.thank u too sparky.i already have toploader bought whole 68 stang with it had 351w gonna give that to my buddy whos bldg 80 bronco and take his 302 mate it to toploader and slide in.easy enuff right?

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals