• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Custom hitch mounted snow pusher

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic
I'm kinda stealing the idea from a company that actually makes these for small trucks and vans and sells them for about $1400. So far I've only spent $200.
It's a hitch mounted fixed snow plow/pusher. There's 2 parts, the frame and the plow.
The two upright tubes are for the plow to move up and down freely to adjust to driveways and such. Raising it up all the way allows transport.

1/8" aluminum cuts down on weight, and looks sexy.

The steel frame for the plow, weighs no more than 50lbs(lifted it over my head and I can't do that with a 60lb bag of concrete), all 1/8" steel. My guess is when it's done the whole thing will when less than 130lbs.
In the back ground you can see the hitch part all welded and painted. I might ad a 3rd upright for strength.
I'm also cutting and shaping the sides to cut weight and to stream line the design.
Another idea was to incorporate the winch in a pulley system to raise and lower the plow to assist when I'm doing work myself.

You're also probably thinking how will it stay down since real plows have weight, my front receiver is tilted downwards at a small angle, about 10 degrees, this will make it hard to the plow to be lifted by snow, but the small steel roller wheels will help it lift up. Unlike a real plow, this doesn't scrap the ground, it floats about 1/4"+ above the road thanks to the wheels, which prevent me from catching a bump and destroying everything on the front.

Last edited:

02RangerXLT

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hmm... Interesting, I would definitely be interested in trying to make one of these, would sure be better than freezing my ass off in the bobcat or tractor pushing the driveway.

3.0ranger1227

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L
Transmission
Automatic
and if you get stuck parked all the way up your driveway you can throw it on the back and back out :D

Cool setup

satan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
How is it for side-to-side stability? I've seen some of the commercial units, they come back and touch the bumper for lateral stability -- Could be a nice/easy tool... I'd be interested to see/hear results.

(oh, let's just not talk about airbags -- had a buddy of mine 'forget' to pull his fuse this morning -- Pop! = Oops! = FAIL ! Brought the funny first thing)

BONES

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
gt40 5L
Transmission
Automatic
Cool idea, I may steal it too.

Wouldn't take much matterial to build and it's a simple design. I LIKE IT!!! Wouldn't take much to rig up a pully for my winch to raise and lower it too.

t0x1k

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.slo
Transmission
Automatic

Finished the welding and mounting. The winch idea was kinda make it up as I go kind of thing, it worked actually but broke a quick link chain and bent a pulley. Back to the drawing board. This thing is a little awkward and heavy to lift into transport mode, I should have made it smaller, not so tall.

As far as lateral stability I'm going to run a chain from each end of the plow to the chain hoops on the hitch to prevent possible damage.

I might also build a pivot to allow the plow to be tilted up for more clearance. Or just use my on board air to run an air cylinder I have sitting on my desk to lift the plow instead of the winch, 4" bore 10" stroke, 2 of them lift up the front of my car with air ride.

Last edited:

kunar

Forum Staff Member
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
5.8l
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
2WD
any more progress? ive been thinking about building something like this a lot lately....

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals