• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Driveshaft question

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
well im having a hard time finding a fm146 to do my swap, and my a4ld is crapping out as we speak, the flexplate spacer broke and cracked a new flywheel. a few places have the fm145's and c5's around here. im contemplating which swap to do, i like the lower gears of the 5spds. anyways im going monday to look at a 88b2 thats supposed to have the mitsu fm146 , but yall know how that goes. im also still waiting on my pedals and crap to come in, and havent heard from the guy. either way if i go with the fm145 or c5 i will need a longer driveshaft for the back. if i cant find a b2 shaft will a 2dr explorer rear shaft work or will i have to have it shortened? i need to do something fairly quick my flexplate is making horrible noises and im not putting this crap a4ld back in once its out

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
I wish you were closer. I have a real nice and tight fm146, as well as an fm145, and everything it takes to swap either in a first gen minus the driveshaft.... Which will need to be shortened if you use the fm146. If memory serves the fm145 is the same length as the a4ld. Def. stay away from the cv type however.

Last edited:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
fm146 is same as the a4ld, 145 is 2" shorter. i have a spicer style shaft now. willing to ship if i pay? i got ahold of a free 2wd m5od and my trans just about took a crap on me earlier, so i might have to throw it in with a shortend ranger shaft until i can either change the output shaft and tailhousing or find a 4wd m5. sucks but this is my dd and i have a trip to take

177CIOfPureLove

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Manual
Let me know how that would work out, I could use the space. She is pretty heavy though...

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
What he said about the distance. I will have an Explorer a4ld available in about a month after I do my motor swap.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
definately not using an a4ld. i had a free m5od i might have to put in without the transfer case until i can get an adapter and tailshaft, then use a shortened driveshaft. or option number two, im going tomorrow to check out an 88 b2 that is supposed to have a fm146. i know it has a 5spd. i might end up buying everything off of it including the shaft. i really dont want to have to change out the m5's tailshaft and def dont want to have to cruise 2wd and no t-case. but it is my dd. im gonna check it out and snap som pics and post em up see what yall think. anybody want a 2wd m5od to trade for a 4wd 5spd?

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
The m5od would be worth the modifications.

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
yea, im about to go off looking for some options. the a4ld finally crapped out this morning and lost o/d and other gears were doing stupid stuff. out comes the a4 today :icon_welder:

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
The m5od would be worth the modifications.
x2

Find an M5OD. They are everywhere around here....I walked past 3 or 4 last week at the wrecking yard. You should be able to find one. Good luck. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals