• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

broken front hubs

brown bomber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
k i got a 90 bronco ii ive had it for about 2 years and i use it for what i bought it for, wheeling. the last time i found some mud the left hub was acting up and would pop and release and make a loud zing sound. well just ignored it and went out again 2 days ago and broke the other one, now under and load pop click and sound like genades going off when going up anything.

it is a pre 11/89 so is has the dana 28, but i got those weak auto locking hubs and cannot find a place that sells a conversion kit for andthing past a 89 would a 89 work or any bronco ii with manual lockers as long as i took all parts to the spindle nut

thanks

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
You don't need a conversion kit, just hubs for a D28. I just scrapped a working set of manual lockers from my 84 because nobody seemed interested in D28 equip. Good luck!

disciplerocks

July 2011 OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Find an Explorer at the u-pull and get yourself a D35

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
It sounds like you want to go from auto d28 hubs to manual d28 hubs. You need manual hubs and manual nuts.The junkyard is the best option(the nut kit alone is like 60 bucks). Pull off the hub (every JY I've been to already had them off and set them in the cab), and every thing back to the outer wheel bearing. The last piece you will take off is a nut with 4 prong drive and a small pin on it.

brown bomber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
i was looking into getting the d35 but figured the post 11/89 were hard to find is the explore a dirrect swap? and does it use the same gear ratio

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
As far as I know it is, some have disc brakes which is another upgrade. You will need the front drive shaft shortened though. Limit straps so you dont smash the frame into the bigger differential.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
... All Dana 35's are disk brakes. And limiting straps will not help you from bottoming out the engine crossmember on the new Pig. Either install bump stops, or trim the lift bracket, if your lifted. And yes its going to be a bolt in swap. You can even use your existing break calipers. I have a complete D28 with manual hubs. PM me if u want them.

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you get the D35, just check what gear ratio you already have, then find an explorer that has that gear ratio. Driveshaft will need to be shortened and your front axle will be wider than your rear axle, but the explorer 8.8 swap fixes that, and only takes about 4 or 5 hours if your determined.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I apologize for misunderstanding the original post. Now that I do, I would vote to scrap the 28, and work on getting a 35 under there. If the 35 wasn't a superior axle, why did the 28 go out of production? Best of luck to you. Take your time, plan twice, review, cut once.

brown bomber

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Manual
thanks for the input prob going to find a explore and rob from and rear axles im only running 30x 9.5 tires now with the wider 8.8 how bad will they rub cause i already had to roll my rear wheelwell

kolton

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I can't say how much they will rub, I already had my lift and 33's by the time I did the axle swaps. But I can't imagine them rubbing too much.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i got a set of manurl with with all the hardware 40 shipped in the us

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Kirby N.
March Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals