• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 bII xlt wont sit in park

89bII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
ok here is the deal well when going out in the mornings to warm up my truck i would hit the gas to get it flowing an it wouldnt rev past 3000 rpm then one day i did it and the tires started spinning so i can pretty much drive it in park (not that i do) but it would i need sum help with that cuz i have almost hit a couple cars in parking lots starting it up.......... it is a 89 bronco 2 xlt with the 2.9 and auto trans 4x4 manual hubs and shifter in the floor:icon_twisted:

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Just a suggestion, you probably shouldn't rev a cold engine that much. Over 3k on a cold engine? Not so bueno. Is it going forwards or backwards? When you put it in drive, does it shift normally?

Nathan123

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 Litre
Transmission
Automatic
Well, first off, an 89 should have the shifter on the column not the floor, mine was made in January of 89 and has column shift. Does it have the 2nd gen dash? It sounds to me like a swap job. I don't understand why it moves forward in park, the park pawl should stop it, but the A4LD service manual ( go to the auto trans section of the tech library and download it) lists "Creeping in neutral" as a condition, "Forward clutch failing to disengage" as a possible cause, and "Clean tranmission" as an action.

89bII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
the 4wd shifter is in the floor and it goes foward and if i turn it off it will roll which ever way the hill is pointing... yes shifts fine only other problem with the truck is the hubs are bad

jhammel85

?? I'm confused man sorry. Yeah the floor shifter should be for the transfer case and the collumn shifter is the trans. I agree that reving a cold engine is not good at all.

My guess is that the trans linkage / cable needs to be adjusted a bit. Perhaps it's not totally going into park. My truck has this problem.

89bII

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Transmission
Automatic
how do u adujest the shift linkage

Last edited:

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
i actually saw a thing about this on all data , i was looking for my shutter issue and saw a tech buletin about will move in park.... I didn't read it but if i remember on monday at work i'll look it up and fill you in!:icon_thumby:

johnsongang

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Bronco II
Engine Size
2.9L
Transmission
Automatic
ok here is the deal well when going out in the mornings to warm up my truck i would hit the gas to get it flowing an it wouldnt rev past 3000 rpm then one day i did it and the tires started spinning so i can pretty much drive it in park (not that i do) but it would i need sum help with that cuz i have almost hit a couple cars in parking lots starting it up.......... it is a 89 bronco 2 xlt with the 2.9 and auto trans 4x4 manual hubs and shifter in the floor:icon_twisted:
There was a recall on the AT Park Mechanism. The number is 91S41. I found it by going to
http://www.allworldauto.com/recalls/NHTSA_91V189000_1990_FORD_BRONCO_II_recall_38857.html and also on the ford corporate site..will get back with that link...you have to search their sit with your VIN.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Even with a recall, the parts are more than likely going to be considered obsolete. Most Recalls have an "expiration" date. Still, best of luck to you!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals