• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Huggyb1972's 87' Ranger 4x4 build

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I have officially started my (and my wifes) Ranger Rebuild here is the General plan:
1. It will be Red
2. It will be 4x4
3. It will stronger than before
4. It will an automatic (probably)
This is part of the before picture the cab that will be on it is not this one.

79 D44 hi-pinion full width

Ford 8.8 trailing arms with a Y-link out back.
:icon_bounceblue:

Last edited:

slow96gt

U.S. Military - Active
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
cool looks like a fun project, what motor you gonna run

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well that is a point of consideration still. I would like to hear a v-8 singing a tune in there but I want to keep the weight on the down low so I'm still thinking. As the truck was in my teenage years 85mph was a number rarely attained unless outside factors were involved: tailwind, downside of hill, something much faster pushing it, ect.......

So almost anything will be an improvement I am not concerned about triple digit speed I would be more than happy if it can hold it's own in a head wind with some pedal left though.

I also am wanting a little bit of everthing from it I would rather have a truck that can be driven rather than trailered everywhere.

Last edited:

Andres629

Article Contributor
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1985/91
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9 screamer
Transmission
Automatic
Run a 4.0. A whole pile lighter and still make good power even in stock form. Do a mild build and she'll hum right along!

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well I ended up with a 95 explorer earlier this year and from what I have read it is just to simple not to do. My only hang up is the Explorer is 2wd so I am still out a trans. The Ranger is 2.3l 5spd currently. The Explorer is high miles but runs remarkably well starts easy even sitting for a long time.

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I am looking for a F-150 fullwidth 8.8 or 9" near by if anyone needs to get rid of one.

As for my truck I have some off the wall plans for it and to start off I am going to beef up the frame by adding plate to box the c-channel for rigitity.

I am wondering how air bags would work off road for this deal instead of coils springs has anybody tried them? how did it do? I would like to be able to change wieght bias and possibly make it kneal so Dad doesn't need to jump as far.

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Post take 2
Finally started the teardown process cab, bed, and driveline alll got pullled out.

There's always one bolt that won't come out normally

Fork lifts are very handy I recommend one if you have the means.

Awesome high angle driveshaft

Man these frames are flexy but not for long

This is the only picture I have of my truck as I remember it back in 92'

Day two begins the front end work

Ever wonder how much a Dana 28 weighs

Mach up time

leveled it up a little

Long radius arms on the front. Got a piece of 3"x1 1/2" 11ga rectangle tube and heim adapters from Ballistic Fab

yee ha :icon_bounceblue:

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
its hard to tell but i think id move that front end up some still looks like the difs behind the engine crossmember. strech it out so its in front of the crossmember then you get more uptravel without being real high and its a better approatch angle.

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
That is the plan to move the axle forward a touch. As for the engine cross member I want to rethink it also. I was never a fan of that monstrosity I would like to do something along the lines where the oilpan can be serviced without a engine host and some choice words.

The rear suspension I am going to use will be more along the line of the desert runner 4 link that giant motorsports makes only home built and modified for trail use. I am having very serious thought about air suspension and will experiment with it to begin with leaving the ability to switch back to coil overs or regular coils if plan "A" fails.

Brayd on here has the setup I like real well I want mine to work very similar to his with a few extras that make it mine.

kris97ranger

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
4 litre and 7.3 litre
Transmission
Automatic
i dont see why air bags would be any different then coils with the exception of them being short. what my buddy is planning on doing is setting up leaves that are real soft for trails then adding in bags to take the load for regular driving/towing

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The way to solve the shorter travel is cantelieiver or stack them in my mind. I think on a crawler they would be superior to coils because you could make the mechanical part of the suspension be the limiting factor and try to have equal pressure on the ground at all times. Plus it would be cool to let it ride low on the road and then pop up when out playing around. And then figure out a way to make it hike a rear wheel and wiz on a jeep.

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Pizza and parts

Gonna start building the radius arms this weekend found a set of air springs I'm hoping to order soon.

huggyb1972

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
87'
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.3l soon to be Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Well this morning started with a order to ruff stuff for a set of 7/8" heims and associated items for the radius arms. Had to run down and get my oxygen cylinder filled in Columbus, In. Talk about a waste of good time.

Ran into snag number one the radius arms didn't line up the same when I sat them up on the milling machine table.

The faces of the arms are not machined the same I don't know if these were worked on or made like this. Oh well I figured out how to fix them so the building will continue.
I gave a call to Airbagit.com yesterday and got a price for 4 of their denominatorII air bags shipped to my door $ 187 not to shabby of a price now when the tax check comes in I can get them on order.

Last edited:

railman

December 2011 OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
can't wait to see how ya do the airbags:icon_thumby::icon_thumby:

l8r, John

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals