• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

1986 bronco II atx with shutter on aceleration

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
As the title says, when I accelerate I have a very fast shutter while accelerating (did it with original driveshaft and still but less with new U-joint style driveshaft) now I read on all data about some cross member update that replaced the original (mines the original) something about it causes the shutter so i called ford with the part number of course its too old they don't have it nor have a picture or description of what made the new one different. So then I ask if they have a master tech that was there back in the 80 and 90's, they did and he said (to the best of his memory) it was a taller trans support that changed the angle and he said i could try just shimming my old one with washers but that he wasn't sure....:annoyed: Any ideas?

jhammel85

Where do you feel the shutter? Is it in the steering wheel or do you feel it in your seat? Is it only in acceleration? Any certain speeds that you feel it too?

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
its now under acceleration after its warm and i've driven a bit it happens sometimes even starting from a light, but usually its like 2nd and third,

i feel it in the seat, and its weird its like it jumps forward, its not like a lagging its more of a foward jump in the seat and floor, my wife was in the passenger seat and she felt it.

the thing that worries me is sometimes it gets violent and i have to back off, then re-accelerate, usually it doens't but sometimes its like the back end starts hopping, i've been into the rear diff it looked ok at a glance, standard slim cam out. maybe i missed something. or a axle bearing? i dunno, i'm just hopping its not the tranny.

I dunno if it matters but my rear leaf springs seems pretty saggy. which may go along with why they made this supposed taller trans tail support?

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
went out looking at christmas lights in the bronco (great back windows for the boys to see) and i've come to realize i do think its a slipping trans, i think i was miss judging it...so the next question is... It's a A4LD trans.... should i buy another trans and rebuild it to install, or upgrade to a better trans? whats the best route to go, its mainly a road vehicle my do some off road but nothing major (would love to just no time)

Ideas?:icon_cheers:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
c5 if u wanna keep auto fm146 or m50d for stick

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Is the C5 auto a direct swap or need new shafts and all? (in a tight budget) and is the A4LD that bad? Like if i got one cheap and rebuilt it am i just doomed for future issues?

also what do most wheelers run? I assume manual?

bobbywalter

TRS Technical Staff
TRS Event Staff
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Technical Advisor
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
Ugly Truck of Month
TRS Event Participant
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD mostly
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
BIGGER
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
sawzall?
Tire Size
33-44
My credo
it is easier to fix and understand than "her"
not a direct swap.

a well built a4ld is fine for a truck like yours though.

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I guess it's time to start lookin for a A4LD...:c-n:

The_Dealer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Duh!
Transmission
Automatic
personally i would go with an fm146 or m50d-r1. i got all my swap parts for 55 bux shipped. pedals, slave, lines, master, resi. both of those trannys are the same length as an a4ld so no moving the xmember or driveshaft changes

u will need:

pedal assembly
master cyl
slave cyl with throw out
clutch lines(will need lines and slave for 92+ with m5od if u do that trans)
flywheel
clutch kit with pilot bearing

and i believe thats it, im going to be starting on mine soon, just gotta get a trans, flywheel, and clutch kit

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
yea but as i said before I don't have all the time to do that, I was lookin for a good quick swap I guess i'll just do the A4LD but just find a good one and have it gone through, gotta find a good priced one

jhammel85

I would agree about another auto. I know it might be out of your price ranger (1000 or so?) but Advance auto offers new AL4D's. "Heavy duty" ones too. Each come with a warranty.

Are you 100% sure about it going out? If it's doing it warm, I'd have to wonder about the condition of the fluid itself.

For starter's try checking the fluids level and see if it smells burnt (if it's slipping, it just may)

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I think your best bet would be to find a GOOD local trans rebuilder and have yours rebuilt. Have them do the shift kit and all the other upgrades. I say do this vs buying another one because yours isn't totally shot yet and is a great candidate for a rebuild.

The above is assuming that you've done some troubleshooting - ie the fluid condition is good and it's at the proper level.

geck0

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I dumped the fluid and changed the filter and it was fine when I changed it and the issue has only gotten worse... Actually one thing that is odd. when I refilled it via ALLDATA instructions it said if you dump the pan only 3 quarts (i guess some T.C. had a drain plug mine didn't but if it did and you drain it 6 quarts) check while in park or neutral (i can't remember) and check the dipstick while hot. here's the thing.....

When I first checked it before draining it was (while running in p or n) about .5" high on the stick but when i drained it, it was only the expected 3 quarts to come out. I didn't think much of it so i put everything together filled her up 3 quarts in. Got it warm (p or N) and it was still .5" high.... could this be a pump/ or t.c. issue..

btw last time i drove it monday it was Horrible. I don't wanna drive it till I fix this issue.

I have a local MR. Transmission that I do shop work for in our machine shop. He's nice but not sure if he's pricing low for me. He said 600 to 700 if i bring him the trans he'll rebuild it and a new torque converter. I have no idea if thats good.

i need to do it cheap and fast if i plan on using this truck this winter

sorry about spelling and such my hand is messed up and i'm not messing with fixing it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals