• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

89 B2 Massive Oil Leak -

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
So Humble, my Bronco II, decides to cut loose on the first cold snap (1 Degree F/-10 Degrees Below zero Windchill) Puking oil as fast as I can pour it in. But from where?

[EDIT: 2.9L V6 199K Miles]

I thought the rear main went but it's not... Being so cold and not having a garage currently the little bit of troubleshooting leads me to believe it is not the RM. I can see fresh oil down the back of the trans bell-housing. It leaks down from the top part of the motor and pools on the trans cross member - thus making it appear to be a RM seal leak.

>My Question is this: I replaced the upper and lower intake gaskets in Sept. I had the distributor shaft out a few times - Could this Dist O-Ring be the culprit? Could it leak that much from there?

>Also When I did the U/L intakes I reused the valve covers - I had replaced them last winter. (Duh, I probably answered my own question here) But the Felpro rubber gaskets I thought were reusable? If not, why would it have been okay since Sept?

Sorry so long winded - just trying to be as thorough as possible.
-Mike

BTW I just got my "BroncoIICorral" Stickers and was going to put em on but too much oil on back window :D

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Older Rubber gaskets can freeze and shrink at that low of a temp. Get yourself a mirror on an extension (autozone, ect. carries them) and look back there at your dist. and the rest of the top rear of your engine. Probably will need a light shining back there too. I have to lay on top of my engine to get where I can see. 2.9 heads like to leak in the rear area for some reason. Mine are "seeping" a little in this area.

I think you pretty much answered yourself, just need to verify it. Valve covers might need to be reseated.....

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Every 2.9 I've had has had massive leaks from the valve covers and distributor. That's where I would start.

Rear main seal leaks usually drip out of the bottom of the bellhousing or down the rear part of the oil pan. Yours doesn't sound like either.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Update

Well I got out some cardboard and got up under the truck... With the 3" body lift I could clearly see that the valve covers were dry - Also verified by using a wipe-all from on top - came off dry. I couldn't quite reach down to where the Distributor shaft but it was definately wet.

Shran:

I ran the truck for a bit while I watched underneath and I did notice some dripping from just under the bell housing - I think it might actually be leaking there too.

What the hell? You would think with the staggering amount of oil I am leaking that I blew a valve seat or piston ring - but there is ZERO blow-by. I mean the engine was utterly DRY last week. I even had a buddy comment at how dry it was with age/mileageand now it is leaking from the lower intake? Dist shaft? rear main? All (or one) happened yesterday. :dunno:

Thank you Shran and Unoliuso for the replys

unoleisu

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I guess the PCV valve could be defective, it would be worth trying to put the old one back in and see if there is a change, since it sounds like there was no leak using it.

I'm pretty curiouse about that.

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
Well I put a new OEM PCV valve in and magically the oil leaK subsided! Unbelievable! couldn't believe it but something as simple as a $3 valve can cause this much trouble! Wow!

ragajungle

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9L V6
Transmission
Manual
oil leaking again. going to try oil seal rejuvenator and if doesn't work - buying 4.0L

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

• ryan
    Forum Administrator

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals