• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Only have signal lights on while signaling

salo35

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Hi,

Essentially what I want is for my Amber signal lights to only come on when I signal. I can do that with the switch in the 1st position, but then my instrument cluster doesn't light up (which is very bad for morning driving). When the switch is in the 2nd and 3rd position the amber lights always run. I can't seem to get it so I have my headlights, corners and cluster all on without my signal lights on.

This is mostly for apperance, I just don't like having the amber with my other white bulbs (I could switch bulb color, but then it get's sketchy with the cops)

I was wondering if there was any relatively easy way to do this? Thanks.

O, it's a 2001 Ranger Edge

edgeaholic (tm)

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford ranger
Engine Size
4.0 S O H C
Transmission
Automatic
so, your saying you want to be able to turn the headlights (white) and front side markers (clear) on without the front amber turn signal lights coming on? (you want the front amber signal lights to just flash while signaling a turn?) that's easy. just find the wiring to the front amber "signal" lights and cut the power wire that turns them on. but, be sure not to cut the wire that activates them for signaling a turn.

salo35

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks, that should do the trick...do you by any chance know which wire to cut...my choices are:

Black (Ford does some backwards things, but I'm assuming that this is ground)
White w/ Blue stripe
Brown

My guess would be that the white one is the 'always on' one, therefore that'd be the one I cut; but I'd just like some confirmation on that if someone knows.

Thanks!

Danger06Ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2006/1986/2001
Make / Model
Ford/Mercury
Engine Size
4.0L/351M/2.5L
Transmission
Automatic
just use a test light

Mutant Pony

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Wrong. The brown is park light power. The same in most American made vehicles. The White with blue is a turn. If you cut the wire you will have no park lights at all. I'm pretty sure they can ticket you for that.

salo35

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
lol, I wish I read this first, but it was an easy fix :) I cut the white/blue (green) first, obviously as you guys already knew it was the opposite of what I wanted. So I soldered that back together and then did the Brown...that's exactly what I was hoping for. So thank you all for your helpl.

salo35

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
If you cut the wire you will have no park lights at all. I'm pretty sure they can ticket you for that.
Hmmm, I have DRL though...I would assuming having my headlights on all the time is an improvement over just having a little orange light.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals