• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Explorer V8 in a 2002 Ranger - Advice?

jlc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Hey,
Looking for some advice. My 4.0 will last for a while longer but I'm interested in starting to collect parts for a swap now. I have a 2002 Fx4 w/auto. I have heard that, given that the Explorer came with a v8 in 2002, you can swap in a v8 with OEM parts by finding a wrecked Explorer. I'm thinking that if I need to re-build an engine it might as well be a v8, for more power at lower rpm. What is the newest V8 that will fit like this? What do I need from the donor? What low rpm performance things can I do while I'm in the process? I'd like to run regular gas, keep my gauges and cruise control, and be VERY reliable. I know this is a newer truck but I'd really like to hear from someone with actual experience with the newer engines.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The Explorer came with a 4.6L V8 in 2002. While you could try that, it will be a little more difficult. 2000 was the last year of the 5.0L which is the V8 that will fit the best. You could use the 302 but if you have emissions in your area you might run into some problems by using an older engine.

Matt

stranger

Reaction score
been done works well search for explorer swap.your luck 01 emmissions the same standard till 06 model so it will comply

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Hey,
Looking for some advice. My 4.0 will last for a while longer but I'm interested in starting to collect parts for a swap now. I have a 2002 Fx4 w/auto. I have heard that, given that the Explorer came with a v8 in 2002, you can swap in a v8 with OEM parts by finding a wrecked Explorer. I'm thinking that if I need to re-build an engine it might as well be a v8, for more power at lower rpm. What is the newest V8 that will fit like this? What do I need from the donor? What low rpm performance things can I do while I'm in the process? I'd like to run regular gas, keep my gauges and cruise control, and be VERY reliable. I know this is a newer truck but I'd really like to hear from someone with actual experience with the newer engines.

Thanks for any help anyone can offer.
The Explorer came with a V8 clear back in '96. '96-'00 or '01 is the 5.0, '01 or '02 (can't tell you for absolute sure) is the 4.6L. The end of the 5.0 also brought the end of the "Ranger-Explorer" identical frame in most ways, and stuffing the 4.6 into a Ranger is quite an adventure. It can be done, but it's substantially more work than fitting the 5.0 because of how much wider the block/crank angle is. Given how new your truck is, I would assume you would want to keep the body/frame mods to a minimum.

Emissions shouldn't be a problem with any of the '96+ V8's as these are all OBD-II setups. The Explorer's used 4x cat's total.... I can't imagine you could really fail, however, being that we DON'T have to deal with it up here in Idaho, I'm not particularly familiar with getting rigs to pass. The 5.0 is definitely a much easier swap than the 4.6. We really looked into fitting the 4.6 when we built my pickup, as I had a shot on the motor from a wrecked '04 Cobra - one of the supercharged 4.6's. Would have been killer, but the body and frame mods to fit it the right way are pretty intense.

Either route, you will want the motor (obviously, haha), tranny if you want the auto, ECM, and probably as much of the wiring harness as you can get just to be on the safe side. When we built my pickup, we had the entire Explorer brought into our shop, and we robbed just about everything out from under the hood. Washer/radiator bottles, fuse box, everything, just to be safe. We ended up using most of it. Many people choose to go with aftermarket motor mounts... with a small amount of adapting and adjusting we fit the stock Explorer motor mounts in just fine. Up to you there.

One thing I can think of that you will need to address is the returnless/return fuel setup. Being '02 your Ranger is almost gauranteed to be returnless, so be sure you get a year of 5.0 that is also returnless to save yourself the headache of pulling the manifold apart to change it. '98/'99 or newer. '98+ I believe.

As for low-rpm performance, the exhaust-intake-chip mods are always the best place to start. By nature of displacement, the V8 will give you more low-end than your 4.0, but expecting low-rpm torque like a big block 7.5L or whatever just isn't gonna happen - both the 5.0 and 4.6 are pretty revvy little motors. I would get some time on the pickup before you get very experimental with cams and whatnot, as these would require the truck to be re-tuned, and (personally) I liked to have a solid baseline before changing stuff like that. Using regular gas isn't a problem, I ran 85-87 octane in my pickup for a long time with zero problems. Your gauges should be fine as long as everything is wired correctly. You shouldn't need tach internals from a V8 pickup like I did - the Explorer ECM should take care of this in your pickup, unlike mine. Cruise control shouldn't be a problem either - again, just needs to be wired properly. The most difficult part of this swap is definitely the wiring.

Not many people out there with an actual OBD-II V8 Ranger like this. I've only seen a couple other ones than mine on the 'net with an Exp 5.0, and only one with the 4.6. Rocket5979 has a similar project in the works, and would probably have good insight here. Helped me a ton with my turbo setup a few months ago - good guy.

Last edited:

jlc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Wow

Thanks! I'm going to copy this to word and print it. I think I'll need to read it again a few times.
Good stuff

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals