• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

ignition swap, holley 350 ??what next

jester77

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I am getting ready to do the "big swap" changing to the duraspark, and holley 350 2 barrel. A couple of questions- will I notice the big of an improvement in performance?

Is the duraspark conversion page pretty detailed enough to get it right the first time? ( I have to drive this thing to work in two days )

What about the EGR system? Do I eliminate the catylitic converter? The air pump of whatever that thing is. the coffee can?? What was Ford thinking?

Do I have to do both swaps in the same weekend? Or can I drive it with the ignition done but not the carb- or vice versa:dntknw:

what is the round thing with the electrical connector just in front of the carburator??

lots of questions- but I am sure there will be plenty of people here that know a bit more than me, and perhaps I can help you all out one day

Tony Raine

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i answered some of those in http://www.therangerstation.com/forums/showthread.php?t=9233

as far as the rest
-coffee can goes bye-bye
-so does air pump
-cat should stay, mine didn't
-see if you have a tube running from the cat to the back of the intake. this needs to be removed and holes plugged/welded.
-i drove mine with stock ignition, stock carb (unplugged), and the smog stuff removed for a year or 2. then drove with duraspark swap and stock carb (unplugged) for awhile. then used a quadrajet carb for awhile (mistake, but free). in all situations it drove just fine, but not the best. adding the holley was the best move.

you might as well swap the carb at the same time. its easy compared to the rest. just some bolts, a fuel line, throttle cable, and choke.

-a backup rig of some kind is preferable. i did mine in a weekend, but you never know what will happen. someone with an '85 will need to chime in on that one

good luck!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals