• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

think I blew the 2.8 today . . .

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
never did like that engine. But this is a 58K '84 engine that I replaced the valve seals when I got it. It had been running fine, other than underpowered. Yesterday noticed some blow by that was not there before and today it started pumping so much smoke out the back that cars were avoiding me :) Think I may have broken a piston. So now . . . I need to replace that engine I never liked anyway. Still not sure with what. I want to stay carbed. I have a 302 but wanted to use it elsewhere . . still like the idea of putting a 200 straight six in it like the original Broncos had. I have an '80 version that will accept a V8 trans, so I could use my stock C5 with a V8 bellhousing . . if I could get the 200 in there with minimal fuss. What to do . . . . . .

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Do the 200. From what I gather based on your posts, you are rather knowledgeable about carbs. The 200 would be unique, and 30CI bigger than the original. Keep us updated Pete!

xkotyx

Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
i too vote the 200. let us know how it works out, and if youre up to it, you should make a build thread on your swap!

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
I also think you should do an inline six, regardless of which one. Wasn't the 200 the one with the intake manifold cast as part of the head, though? Thought there was one like that but it's been years since I touched an inline.

Whatever you choose, good luck...post pics... inline sixes are just neat :icon_thumby:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
Yes the 200 is limited as far as head/intake choices, but it runs OK as is.And if you are up to it, there are modifications that cane be done. I'd be just happy to have it running in the B2. My 200 is in Fox Body right now, so hopefully the oil pan and such would work with the B2, just a matter of getting it mated to the stock C5 trans and build a engine mount.

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That'll be cool, lots of pics please

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
Just the fact that you have the C5 already is a major step forward.

Motor mounts and stuff shouldn't be too hard to fabricate. Man... inline six in a B2... makes me want to find another Ranger and an engine so I can use my spare C5 for something!

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
I know you don't want to go FI Pete, but if you go 200CID and ever do want to go FI, WC makes a head and intake for the aussie 200CID which is an injected engine. It bolts right up to the old ones. Just have to get the injector ports milled.

xr75er

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1986/1998/1994/
Make / Model
ford/dodge/ford
Engine Size
2.9 stock
Transmission
Automatic
Mabey one of the seals moved up the vavle stem> I'd check that first. you might just need to reseat it on the head.:icon_surprised:

PetesPonies

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
2.3l
Transmission
Manual
I can't use my compression tester as the long reach plus design interferes with my tester. However, I pulled the plugs and both rear cylinders were fouled badly. When I clean up the plugs, it runs OK ( albeit fogging the yard ), until they begin to foul again. Something definitely happened and I expect to find broken ring lands on the pistons or similar. I did some measuring ( more to come ) and it will be tight tight tight to get the 200 in there. Sure wish I could get in contact with someone who has already done it to see what they did. I have the '66 Grille installed and don't want to mess with that. I hate the thought of rebuilding the 2.8; I dislike it so much.

n_grimm

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey there Pete. Just a note on the compression tester. I had the same problem with the reach on mine. I got some of the long 14mm spark plug anti foulers from the a parts store, (2 in a package for $5.69) cut one end off so the gauge's original adapter could screw into it. The end I cut off was the "nut" end so I tightened the two parts really well before screwing into the head. The first time I didn't and had a heck of a time getting the anti fouler out since there was nothing to put a wrench on. Now I can put an air fitting on the extra one for doing valve seals.

adsm08

Senior Master Grease Monkey
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
Ford Technician
TRS 20th Anniversary
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Tire Size
31X10.50X15
There was a thread on here about a guy putting a 300 in his B2. If I remember correctly, he ended up chopping out the center of the firewall and pushing it back a bit.

Shran

Junk Collector
TRS Forum Moderator
Supporting Member
Article Contributor
V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
My question is - are the small sixes (170, 200, 250) and big sixes (240, 300) the same physical size? It seemed like the 300 in my '80 F100 was HUGE compared to the 250 in my buddy's '77 Maverick. That would make using one of the smaller ones a no brainer in my eyes since you'd need to do a lot less firewall mods. I know you already have a 200, this is just for my reference.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals