• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

brakes squishy and weak

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Ive never been able to get the brakes to work right on my b2. You have to pump them about 2 or 3 times to get any pressure. Ive changed the master cyl, both the rear slave cylinders, and the pads front and rear. The only thing left original on it is the booster, lines, and front calipers.

I bled them recently, the fluid looked new and got out all the bubbles, I couldnt get the bleeder screw on the front to come off so i just did the rear, but the fronts always worked fine anyways. I noticed though when I was under the truck and my friend was pump the pedal, there was a splattering sound comming from the driver side rear drum. kind of like when you squeeze a ketchup bottle and only a little comes out. I bled it though and the fluid was clean, no bubbles.:icon_confused: anyone have any ideas?

Last edited:

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
Make sure the rear shoes are adjusted properly. If they're not tight enough you have to pump the shoes out to the drums and the check valves in the master cyl can't keep up. Also some master cyls have an adjustable rod that sometimes has to be readjusted when replaced.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
Bleed those fronts... I had the same problem and it was the fronts... When I plugged the front line at the master cylinder and hit the brakes with the rears only the pedal was SOLID.. This was with the engine running too.

I replaced both front calipers and the problem is gone. Now granted I still don't have a super solid pedal, but it no longer sinks as I am stopping.

blackbronc

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
89 BII retired
Make / Model
91 Xplodr Sport
Transmission
Manual
And the 9" drums don't do much for feel anyway. I switched to 10" and it helped a lot.

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
yeah mine does have the 9" drums, I guess thats part of it. Ill bleed the front, but how do I get the rear drums adjusted properly? When I changed the pads I had to twist the adjusting screw in a bit just to fit the drum on.

Ranger44

Ford Technician
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
4.0 OHV
Transmission
Automatic
A squishy pedal could be alot of things. But check any rubber lines. If they are weak and expanding, that'll do it. Also when adding brake fluid when bleeding the brakes, make sure to use new brake fluid and keep it sealed. Brake fluid likes to attract water. It will even pull it out of the air (humidity). The water will then evaporate, and puff, air in the lines. You've aleady replaced the MC. So, the only other thing I can think of is like Jspafford said, it could be an internal leak in a front caliper. BTW, brake fluid should be replaced after 2 years of use.

Jspafford

Logan Andrew Feb 17, 2012
V8 Engine Swap
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Chevy 3500HD
Engine Type
V8
Engine Size
6.6L
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
5"
Tire Size
35"
I bled my front calipers and I still had a mushy pedal.. It would stop decent, but as I was sitting still I could push the pedal to the floor.

When I bled the fronts it didn't help at all.. Everyone seemed to think it was something else... I did what I suggested about plugging each port on the Master Cylinder and found the rear alone had no pedal travel at all, but the front had a ton (to the floor) of pedal travel.

When I took the old calipers off, I layed them down and they drained out on the floor. There was some nasty chunks and brown flakes that came out... I thought to myself, that can't be good..

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
alright, Ill bleed it again tomorrow after school and see if that helps. it seemed to help a little bit the first time, but not much. I doubt its the lines expanding, ive seen old cars with the original lines have decent brakes.

danger88ranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
A squishy pedal could be alot of things. But check any rubber lines. If they are weak and expanding, that'll do it. Also when adding brake fluid when bleeding the brakes, make sure to use new brake fluid and keep it sealed. Brake fluid likes to attract water. It will even pull it out of the air (humidity). The water will then evaporate, and puff, air in the lines. You've aleady replaced the MC. So, the only other thing I can think of is like Jspafford said, it could be an internal leak in a front caliper. BTW, brake fluid should be replaced after 2 years of use.
like ranger44 said, check the rubber lines, also if thats not the case, plug off the rubber lines on the front, then check your pedal feel. It could be a sign of a stuck caliper.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
i have the same problem its not any of that.. the only person that was right was blackbronc.. i had my rear right drum adjusted and the truck stoped on a dime after that, for about 3 days it was great then it whent back to being mushy and pushing its self through stop sighns with my foot to the floor.. when i opend it up i noticed that little arm that tightens the breaks when you spin the little spur wheel was bent, i bent it back and the same problem happend.. its the rears alright but now i need to find out how to replace that adjusting system cause its obviusly FUBAR'ed.

try adjusting the rear breaks, dont do it through the little hole in the drum cause if the spur isent hitting the arm its not going to do anything, take the drum off and see if spinning the spur from the inside is actualy pushing the arm.. i think you have the same problem as me..

mikhail

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I think I may have fixed it, adjusted the rear brakes and bled them again. It works alot better now, itll lock up the 33s.

Jmhm17

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
see told ya it would work..

FL_forlife33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
shoes without adjusting screw stud?

you guys ever heard of anyone having this problem? I have a 99 4WD and am trying to replace the rear shoes, and all the new shoes I find don't have the threaded stud for the adjusting screw on them...

anyone know what i'm talking about?

Hazmat Ranger

May 2009 STOTM
U.S. Military - Veteran
MTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
you guys ever heard of anyone having this problem? I have a 99 4WD and am trying to replace the rear shoes, and all the new shoes I find don't have the threaded stud for the adjusting screw on them...

anyone know what i'm talking about?
No one is going to see your question in this thread - start a new one with your request, and please add a pic if you can get one . . . :icon_thumby:

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
its your wheel cylinder for sure. had the same problem. when you take your brake drum off it will be at the top. easy fix, and you might as well replace everything on both sides.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals