• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

97 Heater Core Question

pkr505

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Dad has a '97 Ranger and I know the heater core is bad. Spilling water all in the passenger footwell. For some reason though he has a hangup about it being hooked up wrong. I believe I've read the 2 hoses that go to it from that valve can't be hooked up backwards correct? My real question is though I see a nozzle under the hood sticking out of the firewall just under where the heater core hoses connect. Nothing is connected to it though and if there is something that is supposed to be I have no clue where it would go. I figured it was just an overflow drain or something, but I wanted to verify this. Thanks.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
I can only guess, but there should be an evaporator drain somewhere around there if you have A/C.

The way to tell a plugged evap from a blown heater core is the smell. Heater cores smell distinctly sweet (unless the owner is a few cards short of a deck and uses only water in the cooling system), and plugged evaps often smell musty.

About the only way "hooking it up wrong" could cause a heater core to leak is by severely overtightening the hose clamps. Even then, it will usually leak to the outside.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals