• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Car Stereo Install Article (Wanted)

Jim Oaks

Just some guy with a website
Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
I've had a request in this forum for car stereo info for an upcoming article.

I came up with something more specific though if anyone wants to take a shot at it.

I figure the person who would be looking for information would be a first timer, so use this as the situation to solve:

You're 17, you just bought a used CD player from your buddy (no diagrams), now you have to figure out how to get out the old stereo, install it in the new hole in the dash and cover the gap around the radio if it's not big enough, figure out how to wire it, how to get to the factory speakers and what size speakers you can put in, and where they can go.

Basically a newbie question that anyone who has put an aftermarket sound system in their Ranger can answer.

brendank

It's only money...
Solid Axle Swap
Forum Staff - Retired
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I'll be putting a Clarion DVD deck in my 93, probably within the next month or so. If nobody else offers by then, I can definitely do a writeup and take a few pictures along the way.

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
daaamn i just put in my new cd deck 2 weeks ago... ill try and do one

well i will say the BEST way to go is, head out to a local auto parts shop(i went to kragens) and they should caryy everything you need to take the old deck out.. then theres a adapter for the 2 plugs that go into the back of the old deck and into the new cd deck(and the wires are color matched) so all you do is just match em up and sauder, eletrical tape, etc... and they also sell a kit that fits directly into that big open space so that your cd deck can be firmly mounted..

ill try and take some pictures of this today..

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
what gen ranger are we talkin about here, 1st gen is retardedly simple...any 14 yr old girl with a screwdriver and electrical tape can do it

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
hey thanks guys!

I'd take anything you guys want to send. I could shop around and look up everything someone would need, but;

1 - I'm working on some other pages
2 - It would be better if it was compiled from info and photos of someone actually doing it.

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual
ranger cd/radio deck install/ withMETRA autoworks installation kit do it yourself.

I decided to go with DUALS CD/MP3/WMA with Iplug interface cable 200 watt 50x4

alright this probably the best way to go when istalling one yourself because it took me about 45 minutes to complete..

my brother got this kit for me from his work(kragens) DUALSCD/MP#/WMA with Iplug interface cable 200 watt 50x4

heres the part numbers, they may help, they may not...

AT-586FT stereo istallation kit

CK-WHFD2 Wire harness adapter

CK-FDRT OEM radio removal tools

first your going to take off the middle dash by taking out 2 screws that are right above the heater controls then just pull the it out.

then you will need to use the OEM radio removal tools. just insert into the holes o the sides give it a couple tugs in different directions and it should pull right out.

this may look complicated but ITS NOT!!! just match up the colors and your good.. Splice ends of adapter harness to new receiver wires, individually isolate with tape, heat shrink tubing, etc.. there are some wires that were not used as you can see in the first picture those just wont be there on the new cd deck receiver..

the reciver came with its own wire harness that matches up to the METRA autoworks harness.. this makes wiring the deck up a reaaaallllyy easy

OK now i messed up by puting the deck in before thinking about pictures
but heres what it should like now.. theres 2 sets of RCA plugs on this deck..
the yellow set goes to the Iplug interface, the gray set goes to your subwoofer amplifier that i dont have HAHA

also that big black plug is for your fm/am radio just plug it in.

the STEREO INSTALLATION KIT is that part that you'll need to fill the gap that the old OEM receiver left.. make shur the the cd holder gap is on the bottom then just push it into the dash face until it clicks in.. its that simple.

next your going to add your rear support for the new cd deck receiver.

dont tighten all the way because your going to have to adjust it to the level of the support built onto the truck

once you have done that you can now put in your cd decks slip in shell then bend the tabs so that the deck is firmly mounted when placed in..

then place in the deck, plug your 2 wire harneses together and put the middle dash back together and you should come up with soemhting like this

i hope this helps cause these pictures were just takin and i had already installed my stereo..

4byRANGER

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
3.0 turbo
Transmission
Manual

Jim Oaks

Administrator
Founder / Site Owner
Supporting Vendor
Article Contributor
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
TRS 20th Anniversary
VAGABOND
TRS Event Participant
GMRS Radio License
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1996 / 2021
Make / Model
Ford Ranger
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Engine Size
4.0 / 2.3 Ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
6-inches
Tire Size
33x12.50x15
Hey Thanks! I'll be using it.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals