• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 running problem in 1988 B2

sgrasso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I just bought a 88 B2 with only 89,000 miles (confirmed with carfax). Drove it from San Francisco to Salt Lake City and it ran perfectly until the last few miles. I started up one of the canyons outside Salt Lake City and the engine quit. I had it towed to a Ford dealer. They replaced the in tank fuel pump and fuel filter. The car runs now but when driving up the canyon and around Salt Lake periodically the car goes through periods of loosing power then as if a switch is turned the car runs as it should. Then this cycle will start up again a short time after, loss of power then normal. The loss of power is more dramatic the higher up the canyon. If I hold the throttle to the floor it seems to run better. If I pull the car to the side of the road during the rough running time a few moments will pass and then like a switch is thrown the idle smooths out to normal. The same rough running happens going down hill. Salt Lake is about 4,600 the canyon I have been driving up goes to 9,600 in about 6 miles. Any suggestions will be greatly appreciated. Steve

Loanranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
1989/
Make / Model
Ford/
Fordzuki
Engine Size
2.9/2.3
Transmission
Manual
I would suggest to check your base timing. Remember to pull the pill, or you won't get an acurate reading.

sgrasso

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Did it

The timing was checked when the TFI was replaced. Thanks.

MAKG

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
If it's going on and off like that, it's electrical. Probably a ground. I'd idle it and go wiggling every wire in sight. Don't forget the battery cables.

And run the self tests.

88RangerXLT

Reaction score
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If the TFI was just replaced check the connector going to the module. Mine had the exact same problem, and auto-zone sells the connector for17.99

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I'd idle it and go wiggling every wire in sight. Don't forget the battery cables.
You'd be surpised what you can find by doing this. I had someone help me, and thought it was just a waste of time. My truck was intermittently dying like the ignition system was loosing power. Found the problem in the positive going to the coil, the terminal on the coil was corroded as well as the plug. Cleaned up the plug, but bought a MSD Blaster II coil with a gift certificate I had, since I was too lazy to clean up the old coil terminals. Oh, and I also applied dielectric grease to the new coil terminals.

Pete

Edit: Oh, and whenever a passenger shut their door, that would kill it, too. :)

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals