• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

An amazing discovery....

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok, so I have had this 89 BII for almost a year. First Ford I have ever owned, and the first RBV I have ever driven. Haven't driven it a lot, been in the garage mostly while I have been re-doing the interior and other things.

Basically since its a second vehicle I have the luxury of screwing things up on it at my leisure. So at some point I gutted the interior, I bought new carpet, new seats, console....lined the floor, new headliner, blah blah blah.

Well the few times I have driven it, I wasn't real pleased with the angle of the steering wheel. No big deal, I'll just keep an eye out for a tilt column. So I have been watching for one to pop up, been reading some of the tech on how to change one so I would be ready when one came available.

Tonight I'm crammed under the dash (interior is still out) trying to run some switch wires for the electric fan I just put on. I dropped the wire strippers for about the 5th time, finally hitting myself directly in the eye socket.

So while I lay there wishing silent but swift death to the BII that's made my life hell and my eye socket hurt....I look up...and I see a small cutout along side the steering column.

I stare at it for a little while as I contemplate whether I need stitches or just another beer and finally realize I have tilt steering. I now know what Isaac Newton must have felt like over that whole gravity discovery thing.

Some unknown person before me had broken off the tilt lever. When my eye heals and I'm done with this beer I'm going to need a tilt lever. Anyone got one they want to sell?

Cliff notes: I need a tilt lever. And maybe a stitch.

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
That is quite honestly one of the best RBV discoveries ever lol. Even if you can't find one, you should be able to fab something up. Good luck with your eye and that beer =D

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I just got out the little piece of the lever that was broken off in there. Looks like the lever just screws in. I can make something work but I think I would rather have the actual lever. Right now I can tilt it with a screwdriver. I love my new tilt steering column.

RUTH

September 2010 OTOTM
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ill see if mine has one, if it does ill just give it too you, i never tilt me wheel and didnt even know i could lol.. i might not have tilt though i geuss

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
ill see if mine has one, if it does ill just give it too you, i never tilt me wheel and didnt even know i could lol.. i might not have tilt though i geuss

That would be great, just let me know. The only way to find out if you have tilt steering is to get under the dash with a nice big pair of wire strippers....

EDIT: I found that LMC truck has them for 9.95 plus shipping, I'm going to order one. According to their site 89-90 columns are diff than 84-88 columns. I appreciate the offer though Ruth, thanks a lot.

Last edited:

country0001

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford,Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Gotta love discoveries like, its kinda like finding out that your electric t case was unplugged and thats why 4wd won't work.

r1hatman

V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic

99RangerKrazy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
That's hilarious. I love it.

But don't feel bad: it took my like four years of driving to figure out that the little switch on the rearview mirror was for when driving at night and people are behind you....that was an amazing discovery!

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic

It could have been worse, if I had actually bought and installed a tilt column and then found this out...... I cant really say what I would have done. Probably hide the old column and never tell anyone about it.

On a side note, I replaced the hatch struts when I put my new hatch on. I used one of the old struts on the hood and got rid of the prop rod. So yeah, I'm feeling pretty good about that at least!

84bluebronco2

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
I wish I read this earlier today... I just got through sending the old B2 to the scrap yard in the sky and it had four good struts from the hatch. I could have made a self lifting hood.....

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i have a tilt column and NEVER use it...

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I wish I read this earlier today... I just got through sending the old B2 to the scrap yard in the sky and it had four good struts from the hatch. I could have made a self lifting hood.....
You could have! Both of the old hatch struts were too weak to hold up the old hatch. I just used one of them and the mounts from the hatch to mount it under the hood. One is plenty strong enough to open and hold the hood up.

4.0B2- I tend to use the tilt feature quite a bit. I like the wheel kind of low for driving and need to raise it to get out comfortably.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
i keep mine straight all the time, i'm only 130 lbs and 5ft4in so no need in tilting the wheel lol. however, i did see on the other b2 i'm looking at buying that the tilt rod broke off just like the yours. kinda made me laugh a lil lol

whocares

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
i keep mine straight all the time, i'm only 130 lbs and 5ft4in so no need in tilting the wheel lol. however, i did see on the other b2 i'm looking at buying that the tilt rod broke off just like the yours. kinda made me laugh a lil lol
At least you noticed it was a tilt column! It took me way too long to figure it out on mine. I'm looking forward to my new tilt lever arriving though, I'll be tilting the wheel like nobody's business!

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
It's like a new toy. As small of a deal as it seems.... When it's new, it's a BIG deal. Just like when I figured out my new headunit has Bluetooth... I don't even talk on the phone but I found reasons to all people when driving lol

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals