• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

iPod Integration

Stonerman33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
Just curious as to if anyone in here as done any custom fabrication in terms of iPod integration into their stereo system. I have an aftermarket Pioneer 5900IB Head unit and the iPod hookup as well. So far, all I have done is run the ipod cable into my glove box so the iPod is away from the prying eyes of passersby. Wondering if anyone has gone any further than this to give everything the 'Built In' look to their setup. Thanks!

RichBeBe

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Mazda
Transmission
Automatic
Just curious as to if anyone in here as done any custom fabrication in terms of iPod integration into their stereo system. I have an aftermarket Pioneer 5900IB Head unit and the iPod hookup as well. So far, all I have done is run the ipod cable into my glove box so the iPod is away from the prying eyes of passersby. Wondering if anyone has gone any further than this to give everything the 'Built In' look to their setup. Thanks!
I have buckets in my Mazda and I plan on running the integration cable under the rug and into the center console. Then setting it up so I can run the cable out to use the iPod out then slide the iPod into the center console and have a mount in there when not use or in the shuffle mood. The cable I have charges and plays music but doesn't integrate the controller into the head unit. The only stereo I ever played with that was set up that way sucked to find music on.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
The original look

The look after I added the overhead console.

And in the next few months, my DVD player will be replace with a Video Ipod.

Last edited:

Stonerman33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
right now mine looks like your original setup, except with an ipod touch and some more random papers in the glove box. i might try to make a foam lined holder of sorts so at least it doesn't slide around in there...

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Can you do something with the ash tray?

Thats what I wanna do with mine. Take the DVD player out of the ash tray

And put a video Ipod in its place. What I'm thinking is restore the ash tray back like it was. Then build a cradle that the Video Ipod will actually lay down in. I'm still working out the details.

I already bought the PAC-Audio AV-IC and a video amp so I'm almost there. I need to get a new ash tray, I'll run to one of the local wrecking yards in the next few weeks.

Stonerman33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I have an 01, so I don't have the pullout ashtray on mine. Below my AC controls is where the airbag switch and a little cubby hole are, but that has been converted into a switch panel for my lights and radar detector and what not. Overhead console might not be a bad idea either... Kinda been looking for an excuse to do that anyway.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I found the directions on the overhead console install on this site somewhere. There is one minor problem with the directions (in my opinion) it is easier to remove the headliner. And that first cut is the hardest.

Stonerman33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
that foam stuff you used to enclose the iPod, just pick that stuff up from a fabric/craft store or something of the like?

JesseCard

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
Actually, I have an Alpine stero with an ipod plug. When I first bought it, I had the long cable run through the glovebox, but it was hard to get to. I have a hole from my cigarette lighter that was removed and i have the cable run through that. It's really easy to get to. So if you are a non-smoker, I advise to use it through the cigarette lighter. Ill put up some pics when i get a camera.

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
Sorry, no foam. But I do document most of my work.

First all the parts are made. I used fiberglass to make the cradle. ABS plastic is cut to fit the console.

Then the ABS and the fiberglass cradle are glued together using epoxy. The cradle is held into place using two screws under the ipod. The Ipod is held into place using velcro. This way it can be easily removed from the console.

Hope this gives you some ideas, if you have an idea but not sure how to do it post back, maybe I can help. Ipod Touch, now that will look great no matter where you put it

Stonerman33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I am half tempted to leave it out so I can see it but the risks are greater than the benefits. I actually posted this reply from my iPod. You do excellent work SVO.

Last edited:

Ranger SVO

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.3 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
I actually posted this reply from my iPod.
That is way beyond kool. :rockon:

We may need to start an ipod thread, I'm just starting to use Ipod Wizard to modify mine. Still working on figuring out the program. I have 2 Nano's so I have a back up.

If you get an Idea you wanna try let me know. Here is something I did for a customer a couple years ago. The Ipod is removable from the bottom.

Stonerman33

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L SOHC
Transmission
Automatic
I do like the idea of having it under plexi in the center armrest, but i don't believe my cable is long enough... I wonder if they make extensions for it... Any other ideas or suggestions, I am all ears.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals