• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Possibly leaking gasket

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
I just put a new lower intake manifold gasket on my 2.9L to fix a massive oil leak, so it's nickname wouldn't be the "Exxon Valdez" any more. Anyway, when I had the machine shop clean up the lower intake manifold, the media/bead blasted it. It appeared to have pitted it in places, one of them being around the coolant ports. I put it all together with plenty of RTV, and it runs fine. But I'm worried that it might be leaking coolant into the oil.

How can I tell?

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Pull your dipstick....if it's white milky in texture and color...then you have coolant in the oil. That's the fastest way to tell. Also make sure you keep an eye on it when it's oil change time if you suspect that it could be a problem in the future.

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Well it's not doing that. The oil looks dark brown but clear.

What it is doing, however, is getting a lot of moisture on the inside of the oil filler cap. It's only been a day since I put the new gasket on.

I drove it on a 10 mile trip, 5 miles both ways, and it seemed to do fine.

Maybe it got some condensation in the crankcase during the week it was apart? I was unable to work on it a few days due to rain.

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Yeah, sounds more like condensation now that you put it that way. Shouldn't be anything to worry about.

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Yep. I just took another few short trips, and now the bottom of the oil filler cap is nice and dry like it always was. :yahoo:

The problem is, that there's still oil dripping off the bottom of the oil filter! The valve cover leaks were taken care of at the same time I did the lower intake, so it doesn't stink any more, but it looks like it shall remain the Exxon Valdez. Where else could it be leaking to where it would flow down and drip off the bottom of the oil filter?

kevinsranger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Transmission
Automatic
Yep. I just took another few short trips, and now the bottom of the oil filler cap is nice and dry like it always was. :yahoo:

The problem is, that there's still oil dripping off the bottom of the oil filter! The valve cover leaks were taken care of at the same time I did the lower intake, so it doesn't stink any more, but it looks like it shall remain the Exxon Valdez. Where else could it be leaking to where it would flow down and drip off the bottom of the oil filter?
i don't know much about your engine, but my 4.0's oil filter housing itself is leaking, you may want to check that out

'99 EB Explorer

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Get under the truck and see if the filter is coming loose. Also, when an oil filter is installed, you're supposed to use a dab of oil to lubricate the gasket or it won't seal properly.

There's always the problem with a "double gasket" on your filter where the gasket from the old filter stays stuck to the mount and nobody notices..hence 2 gaskets once you try putting the new one on, but the oil would be pouring out by the buckets if that was the case.

rusty70f100

Reaction score
Transmission
Manual
Way ahead of you. I just changed the oil about 1/2 hour ago. The old filter gasket did stick to the adapter, but I always check for that so I removed it. I always lubricate it with new oil as well.

It's not my first time working on a car, but it's always good to get a second opinion and ideas.

I have not checked if the adapter is loose. If it is, it looks like it's hard to get at. How does one check it, or even get a wrench on it? Mine is wedged right up next to the exhaust manifold.

4.0B2

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 v6
Transmission
Automatic
the oil filter adapter is probably the enemy here, it usually is on these motors.... mine was lose and i had to cut it off basically. good thing i had two blocks... but yeah, they are known for leaking there... it sucks!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals