• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

engine mounts

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
first off the trucks a 90 ranger 2wd frame

Hey, im mounting my 5.0L in the truck now, but im curious what other people have used for motor mounts and how well their engine sits in the truck. I made mounts similar to the advance adapters plate style and used the stock 4.0L mounts. I made it work the engines in there and mounted but i dont like how high it sits. The front sump of the oil pan is higher than the cross-member, or at least level with it. I want to have the engine sit approximately 2 inches lower in the the frame. That would also make me feel better about the clearance with the firewall on the drivers side, and the clearance on the header for the passengers side.

Is it normal for the engine to sit up this high or am i stressing out about nothing?

I am thinking about making mounts similar to the kaufmann products mount. using the front most lower control arm bushing from a 95+ cavalier/sunfire pressfit into a tube with an 1/8" wall thickness welded to a stock 5.0L bracket.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I made an adapter plate and used the stock lower 2.9/4.0L mounts. I have the oil pan almost touching the crossmember and about 3/16in from the TTB bracket. What I did was made the fake adapter plates from cardboard and lowered the engine in and moved the lowers around to where I could get the best placement. I marked the cardboard to where the studs were and transfered it to steel.

Matt

Hjcraver

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
302 Engine Mounts

Is this close to what will work good ?

Ebay Completed Items : 1988 FORD RANGER V-8 SWAP MOTOR MOUNTS Item number: 220192683331

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Is this close to what will work good ?

Ebay Completed Items : 1988 FORD RANGER V-8 SWAP MOTOR MOUNTS Item number: 220192683331
I made something similar to that already, ive got the engine where i like it in the sence that its as close to the firewall as i want it, and fine side to side, but it seems like its too high up from the frame.

I ordered some 1969 - 1986 F-150 5.0L motor mounts today, they are EXACTLY the same as what duff and advance adapters sell. I called duff today and confirmed that.(also the same mount duff sells for the classic bronco 302 swap)

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
You might not like those mounts... they stick the motor up the highest of all. higher than the stock V6 mounts with plates.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
You might not like those mounts... they stick the motor up the highest of all. higher than the stock V6 mounts with plates.
OH NO!! dont tell me that! lol.

Well they looked fairly comact from the picture. If i dont like them i still have the option of building ones like the kaufmann ones. Which brings me to another question... Where could i get bushings similar to those used in the kaufmann mounts? All i could think of to use was a control arm bushing pressed into a tube thats welded to some fancy brackets... but i wouldn't mind making some that look a little more professional, like those ones.

For anyone unfamiliar with the kaufmann mounts

And i would just buy them, except the are no longer around.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I will have to get some pictures for you. How I did my V6 mounts you can't get the engine any lower. It is the lowest sitting V8 that I have seen so far. I'll get some pictures for you today. The mounts are cheap to make and with a little thought they work well.

Matt

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
I will have to get some pictures for you. How I did my V6 mounts you can't get the engine any lower. It is the lowest sitting V8 that I have seen so far. I'll get some pictures for you today. The mounts are cheap to make and with a little thought they work well.

Matt
The best thing i have thought of so far in regards to still using the 4.0L mounts is cutting out the section of crossmember the bracket sits on, making it sit under the crossmember and having it sit a little bit lower that way. Or doing something similar with the 69 - 86 f-150 mounts I just got this afternoon.

Capt Jay

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
'93 body.
Make / Model
Ford(ish)
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
I don't know about the 2wd frame but my 4x4 frame the stock 302 mount work great. Although I was an idiot and bought the Duff mount for far to much, the engine sits very low. It sits right on the cross member with only a limited amount of space under it. If I were to do it again I'd just go with the stock mounts and drill the repositioned mounting holes.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
The rigs with Duff mounts I've seen.. the motor has been real "nose high"... and at a real noticeable downward angle. I did plates to stock 2.8 mounts. It sits pretty low and almost level. However, the mounts are like bolting it to jello...

I looked at a friends truck with poly fox body 5.0 mounts. It sits nice and low and is level front to back. I picked up a set and will be installing them fairly soon.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
OH NO!! dont tell me that! lol.

Well they looked fairly comact from the picture. If i dont like them i still have the option of building ones like the kaufmann ones. Which brings me to another question... Where could i get bushings similar to those used in the kaufmann mounts?
Jeep YJ poly spring eye bushings are the most used in fabbing motor mounts.

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
Jeep YJ poly spring eye bushings are the most used in fabbing motor mounts.

Do you know off the top of your head the size of those?

dude772

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
k, this weekend i got the engine mounted in the truck 100% the way i want it. I did end up bashing in the firewall above the drivers side cylider head for valve cover clearance. The 1969- 1986 f-150 mounts were PERFECT. They were nice low profile type mounts. The engine sat as far down as far as possible, any lower and i would need to do some major pan modifications.

heres a picture of the mount

and i also made a header for the passengers side... obviously its not built to perform, just built to get the exhaust from the engine to the back of the truck.

(no its not done, its just tacked together and still needs small bits welded in. expecially for number1)
Also shows the way the engine sits in the truck.

alaskan155

U.S. Military - Veteran
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2002 2000
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
7.3l/4.0l
Transmission
Automatic
i used L&L, bolt in

Last edited:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals