• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Installing engine+trans as one, do'able?

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Hey guys, I hope to install my 5.0L + AOD this weekend, and I hope to put them together outside the truck and install them as one unit. IS THIS DO'ABLE without removing the core support? I pulled the old drive-train out as one unit, transfer case and all.

I JUST fit out, and I would much rather install the new engine + trans as one unit.

Please let me know your exp.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Damn. Are you Tory from mythbusters...? :D

I think you may not be able to, unless you have no accessories on the front of the motor. The overall length will be a tad shorter than what you pulled out, but the motor is longer. I had to rotate the motor going in to clear the water pump snout on the core support since the engine compartment is short enough for the back of the motor to hit it before the water pump clears.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Why, Yes. I am Tory from Mythbusters. lol

The V6 came out with all the trinkets still on the front, but they never posed a problem. The V8 will be going in looking alot like this. With an appropriately matched trans.

since the engine compartment is short enough for the back of the motor to hit it before the water pump clears.
thats what I'm worried about.... :(

Robin Hood

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Wow. Thats... blue.

Jayford

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Manual
i did one with my buddy not too long ago with a c6 on it. the truck had a body lift so that helped but we had a 2wd transmission so i dont know how much different it will be for you.

2fast4you

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
ford
Transmission
Automatic
i installed my 302/c4 togather with the water pump and crank pulley on it with out a problem.. had about a inch between it and the core support when done.. now if i had the rad in there, then i would had to replace it..

good luck

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
Derr... I didn't think it all the way through...

You trans will be attached... so it will be angled down.. I was thinking about mine where I just put the motor in with the trans already in place.

You will be fine.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
I installed a 302 and 2wd AOD into a 2wd Ranger as one piece with a water pump attached as well. It can be done, you just need to move slow so you don't smash stuff up. If you pull the core support off its even faster. The initial time you do it it will take a while to remove the core support but if you ever have to pull the engine it's a breeze. I can have my engine, trans and t-case out and engine on the stand in less than an hour.

Matt

Matt

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
this is good news, thanks guys, not only do i have a cherry picker crank (the grey one) at my disposal, but i have the luxury of using the orange tractor again, and I'm quite good with hydraulics.

Nitemare, is the core support welded to the inner fenders? If it unbolts thats what I will do, but I thought I had to cut it out, and re-weld it in. Which I'm not interested in.

FYI, this is a 2WD trans with a T-case adapter on the back, I will be putting the T-case on after the engine+trans is mounted up.

The rad will be out for the engine install, I have a exploder rad, I hope it's up to the job of a mild V8. I also plan to put electric fans on it.

Totalled

Law Enforcement
V8 Engine Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
8 rabid gophers
Transmission
Automatic
4.0 explorer rad will be fine on the road... it's slow crawling off road with low airflow that will heat it up.

projectnitemare

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
396W
Transmission
Manual
The core support is spot welded on. If you want to remove it what I did was drill out all the spot weld and then bolt everything back on again. If you plan on having the engine out in the future it might be a good investment of time. I doubted I would touch mine again but it's been out 5 times now.

Matt

SRL

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
5.0L V8
Transmission
Automatic
I got my 302 with AOD in together but mine is a 2wd.

I had water pump and crank balancer but no pulleys. Went in very smooth; easier than the old 2.9 came out for that matter.

Dishtowel

August OTOTM Winner
V8 Engine Swap
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
Thanks for the input guys.

They went in fairly smoothly, Now all I need is some time of my own to cut out some engine mounts.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals