• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9 turbo.....

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
alright, now this has probably already been touched on, but after reading throguh the thread discussing the remote mount turbos i got to scratchin my head...why not on a 2.9?? if u think about it the upper intake manifold is quite similar to that of a aftermarket intake manifold for say a turboed civic, couldnt it be done in theory mounting the turbo just after the o2 sensor at the end of the y pipe, running the pipin much as u would with other remote mount turbo's, but in my case i would have to design a system to enclose the turbo as the cold mud hittin a red hot turbo is not very good thing todo....just lookin for input on this topic, or if it has been done b4

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
The problem is engine management. The speed density 2.9 setup just isn't going to do it, even with mods. The rare 1990 california MAF 2.9 setup could be made to work for a low boost turbo setup with an FMU. But the way to do it right would be to convert it to megasquirt, which gets into $$$$. And if you're willing to spend $$$$ on a nice engine for you ranger, then my guess is that you wouldn't be asking about turboing a 2.9.

Also, if the engine isn't low mileage, it's not going to take well to a turbo. That and cast pistons aren't exactly ideal for a turbo motor.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
ya, i knwo that would be the biggest problem is makin it work properly, im sure u could find a set of forged pistions for a 2.9 if u look around for a bit, im curious if it has ever been done, i liek to squeeze every last bit of power i can out of a engine b4 i put it out of its misery and go bigger....

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
Well the last set of forged pistons I saw for a 4.0L (which is much more modable than a 2.9) were $720 for set. Ouch!!!

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
If you want turbo, you don't need to go bigger. Just go 2.3. They are actually designed for turbo, came from ford with engine management set up for turbo, and parts are cheap and abundant.

Psychopete

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
I've found a set for custom pistons for 2.9L for $650 (I think). Was going to try and get ARP bolts and have the rods peened (for a super charger setup).

I've sold it (s/c setup), traded my Chevy for a Ford as a donor for a V8 swap. Bought a '93 Tempo as a new beater car.

To find custom parts, ask custom manufacturers if what they can do for you. They're not going to see your post here and come to you.

I got a '90 MAF PCM from Subway Truck Parts for $80.

Engine management is definitely the biggest complication.

Yeah, it's been done before.

Pete

Edit:
I also think that he ran 15PSI on the MAF PCM, but I am not entirely certain.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
If you want turbo, you don't need to go bigger. Just go 2.3. They are actually designed for turbo, came from ford with engine management set up for turbo, and parts are cheap and abundant.
been there done that, many a times, just tossing around some ideas is all

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
been there done that, many a times, just tossing around some ideas is all
Oh, OK. I figured you were just a kid who got the idea that it would be fun to slap a ebay T3 on their old tired 2.9 and expect it to work right.

If you've worked with turbo stuff before, then I say go for it. I always love to see new and different builds. A turbo 2.9 done right could be pretty cool.

V8RangerBoy

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
If you have the money to do the fuel and computer management the right way, I'd say it's a go.

Stay away from the FMU route. Cast pistons + boost + high mileage + "not-so-ideal-at-all tune" is almost definitely going to = toasted motor. I searched long and hard into getting an FMU to work for my setup, but in the end, they're nothing but bad news. The load calculations and spark curves are critical in a turbo motor, especially a non-built bottom end/high mileage setup, and the stock curves with an FMU set the stage for detonation. It won't take long to blow it up. FMU's also load the piss out of the entire fuel system, and the wear and tear on fuel pump, injectors, etc is immense. You're loading a system that is designed to work at around 40psi clear up to nearly 90-100psi at just 5psi of boost (using the FMU that Vortech sends with the supercharger kit, for example - the "standard" 12:1 unit).

Save the money to do it right instead of reaching for the band-aids.

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
Oh, OK. I figured you were just a kid who got the idea that it would be fun to slap a ebay T3 on their old tired 2.9 and expect it to work right.

If you've worked with turbo stuff before, then I say go for it. I always love to see new and different builds. A turbo 2.9 done right could be pretty cool.

ya, i have acess to everything i need todo the job...i was actually if i do it leanin towards a twin turbo setup, i already acquire the turbo's i plan on using, just need to find some headers i can modify todo the job, if someone could get me measurements on stud spacing at the flange on the headers it will give me a good place to start and so i cna know if i will need to build my own manifolds or modify the headers to work

and dont make fun of the size of the turbo lol, there small but will get the job done and will easily fit in the engin bay the way ive been thinkin of doin it, besides....why waste good money on big turbos that will see mud

Sevensecondsuv

RBV's on Boost
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Many
Make / Model
All Fords!
Engine Size
Many
Transmission
Manual
What's that turbo from? -Obviously you want small if you're going to put twins on a little 2.9...

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
lol, its a lebaron turbo, i forget the model exactly from them, its a pic i found online cause i was too lazy to go and take a pic of mine. there common enough to be almost disposable, but spool VERY VERY quickly...its not the size of the turbo that matters, its how u use it :p

Last edited:

v6TurboRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
just wanted to jump in here and ask a question has anyone tryed to use an additional injector controler and add 2 extra injectors into the intake manifold that come on under boost and can be tunned via laptop this is the way im planning to go this spring when I do a remote mount turbo install on my 89 2.9 4x4 unless some can point me in a better direction

mhughes165

V8 Engine Swap
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Manual
just wanted to jump in here and ask a question has anyone tryed to use an additional injector controler and add 2 extra injectors into the intake manifold that come on under boost and can be tunned via laptop this is the way im planning to go this spring when I do a remote mount turbo install on my 89 2.9 4x4 unless some can point me in a better direction

why not just upgrade the injectors so they can flow the amount of fuel u need, thats what im gonna do with my experiment

v6TurboRanger

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
my main reason for not just installing larger injectors is the stock computer
would need to be reflashed or chiped to compensate for the larger injectors to work at idle and when im just driven around not under boost I only need the extra fuel when under boost

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals