• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

Elusive drivetrain noise

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Guys, I have a 2002 XLT 4x4 with 4.0L auto extended cab. When in 2wd, there is a loud hum, that almost sounds like tire noise, that increases in frequency as i accellerate. At about 40mph, it seems to disapear but that might just be because i cant hear it at that frequency anymore. Ive replaced the fluid in the diff, put on new tires, balanced wheels, checked the bearings (no play) and still no change. Now, when im driving in 2wd, and shift it into 4wd when moving, the noise immediately disapears. However, when I let off the gas and coast/decelerate when in 4wd, the noise comes back. When I accellerate again, the noise goes away. The change is immediate as soon as i hit the 4wd switch. Any ideas?

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
Well for starters, have you checked the fluid in your T-case and Tranny?
Driveshafts have any play maybe?
just some suggestions

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
I have already changed the tranny fluid, but have not changed the Tcase fluid. I also have not changed the fluid in the rear yet, but have in the front pumpkin. I also took the rear driveshaft out and lubed up the splines, which got rid of the notorious clunk. There is a little bit of play in the driveshafts, but how much is too much? I also noticed that the front driveshaft is not original since it has "03 Ranger" written on it in yellow chaulk. I also notice a vibration every once in a while. Its not consistent at any particular speed. When Im on the highway, sometimes its there, sometimes it isnt. Sometimes it shows up, then it goes away. Wierd.

tkdan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
I have a 2000 4x4 and it started doing this a few weeks ago. When I'm at 70+ it is so loud. All I've checked is my front diff and that's all. I'm worried that something is not getting lubed. I have street tires so I know it is not from them. I did not think about the T-case because the sound seems to come from up front, although that can be misleading.

BlackBII

Ranger Custom
Article Contributor
OTOTM Winner
TRS Banner 2010-2011
Truck of Month
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Type
4.0 V6
Transmission
Manual
2WD / 4WD
4WD
Total Lift
Tire Size
How many miles on your guy's trucks?
Front bearings need to be repacked with grease
Just another suggestion

tkdan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Only 130,000 barely broke in.

nvrsunk02

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ranger
Transmission
Automatic
Ive got about 85k. Front bearing on this thing is supposedly sealed for life. I originally thought it might be bearing too, but when I found out that putting it in 4wd made the noise go away I crossed that off the list.

tkdan

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Automatic
Front diff, t-case, trans all good on fluid. I dunno!

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Today's birthdays

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Latest posts

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals