• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

My r/c truck in the water

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
FORD
Engine Size
2.9l FI, 2.9L FI, 2.8L
Transmission
Manual
Ok dude, that is bad ass!!!! I have an AX10 close to the SCX10.(Im sure you know this)
How did you do this man? (Waterproof it) I have asked almost every rc crawler forum, with no reply. like its some kind of secret? help me out man winter is here and I WANT TO CRAWL!!!!!

frankserrano

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
2005, 1986
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L, 5.0L
Transmission
Automatic
lol i know absolutely nothing about RCs, but that's just awesome. well done.

gribly

U.S. Military - Veteran
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Honda
Engine Size
K20A3
Transmission
Manual
The stock radio box is pretty good, I siliconed it's seal. I am using a traxxas xl-5 esc, which is waterproof so begin with, and that's all you really have to worry about. The motor is fine to be submerged, just oil it afterwards lightly on the bearings, or not. I just let mine go, it's a cheap stock motor and I want an excuse to replace it. The steering servo should be okay, you can purchase a water proof one if you kill yours, but like I said, they usually are fine to be submerged. The connectors and battery, don't worry about. That just leaves the gearbox and axles, just periodically open them up and change the grease, just like a real truck that you take mudding. If you do not want to purchase another aftermarket speed control, you can just silicone the edges, or open it up and fill the case with silicone and re-assemble it with it oozing out each hole, then wipe off the excess and make sure the heat sink is clear of anything. If you don't have a radio box, you can just put the reciever in a balloon, and silicone it. There isn't really any science, you just take what looks vulnerable, and seal it with whatever you can.

Chris.S.

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
great little vid, I need a scaler.

Ok dude, that is bad ass!!!! I have an AX10 close to the SCX10.(Im sure you know this)
How did you do this man? (Waterproof it) I have asked almost every rc crawler forum, with no reply. like its some kind of secret? help me out man winter is here and I WANT TO CRAWL!!!!!
If you don't have a waterproof ESC you can open it up and use liquid electrical tape or something similar to coat the board (easier to just buy an XL-5, they can had for cheap) for the Rx you can put in a balloon and seal that shut. Servo I'd say buy a Traxxas 2075 or just silicone the seams on yours and apply a good dab of some waterproof grease around the base of the output shaft.

Main points to be concerned with are keeping water out of/off off: Rx, ESC, Servo. Motor's can be submerged and bearings won't explode with a little water.

If you have beadlock rims then you should open them up to dry the tire foams once in awhile. That is, if crawlers have tire foam? otherwise some small holes in tread face can let water out via centrifugal force.

Like it was mentioned lube motor bearings/bushings after each wet run and same for wheel bearings.

fordbrian333

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
ford
Engine Size
Transmission
Automatic
nice job water prrofing it, i have an scx10 also but with the tacoma cab it comes with
(trimmed the fenders and grill off, nd changed the bed so now that and my fullsize crawler are i denticle :)), dont plan on water prrofing mine though, im not a fan of water or mud with either truck

JeepRecoveryTeam

May 2009 OTOTM Winner
U.S. Military - Active
OTOTM Winner
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
xlt ranger
Engine Size
Cummins 6bt
Transmission
Manual
you should go through a smaller puddle or tire rut and say its a real jeep wheeling post it on pirate I love messing with those guys there so serious.

cdawall

U.S. Military - Active
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L V6
Transmission
Automatic
Haha that's cool as shit

Jay FX4

Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
4.0L
Transmission
Automatic
great little vid, I need a scaler.

If you don't have a waterproof ESC you can open it up and use liquid electrical tape or something similar to coat the board (easier to just buy an XL-5, they can had for cheap) for the Rx you can put in a balloon and seal that shut. Servo I'd say buy a Traxxas 2075 or just silicone the seams on yours and apply a good dab of some waterproof grease around the base of the output shaft.

Main points to be concerned with are keeping water out of/off off: Rx, ESC, Servo. Motor's can be submerged and bearings won't explode with a little water.

If you have beadlock rims then you should open them up to dry the tire foams once in awhile. That is, if crawlers have tire foam? otherwise some small holes in tread face can let water out via centrifugal force.

Like it was mentioned lube motor bearings/bushings after each wet run and same for wheel bearings.
I agree with every word of this. :icon_thumby:

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals