• Welcome Visitor! Please take a few seconds and Register for our forum. Even if you don't want to post, you can still 'Like' and react to posts.

2.9l with dana44 and ford 9.. 34's ?

quaallen

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
Ok i got an 89 2.9 that we are putting dana44 front and ford 9" rear and im not to sure of the gears in them. but stock out of 79 f150....im going with 34x12.50x15. SWAMPERS!!!:icon_hornsup: i dont think ill have a problem turning those tires but how much bigger can i go is allways the question?? i just wondered how big of tires people are turning with the 2.9L ????

sweetsride

Solid Axle Swap
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
2.9l
Transmission
Manual
well, i got full width d44, and 9", 5.13 gears and im running 36's...trust, you will want to swap gears no matter what tires you put on those diffs,they probly have 3.54 gears in them.

it was a hole new rig once i went from my 3.54 gears to 5.13 with the 36's, the 5.13 brang it close back to stock but with more bottom end then stock

Hope this helps

Kris

quaallen

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
well, i got full width d44, and 9", 5.13 gears and im running 36's...trust, you will want to swap gears no matter what tires you put on those diffs,they probly have 3.54 gears in them.

it was a hole new rig once i went from my 3.54 gears to 5.13 with the 36's, the 5.13 brang it close back to stock but with more bottom end then stock

Hope this helps

Kris
thanx for the quick answer.. what will happen if i dont change the gears?? how will it be so different??? bottom end top end what??and how?? what will my 1st 2nd and 3rd gears be like??? how bout with 34s???ive known guys with stock gears with 44s...but then again with a 350 not a 2.9...

Last edited:

Sunk

Supporting Member
TRS Banner 2010-2011
TRS Banner 2012-2015
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Engine Size
3.5 Eco
Transmission
Automatic
I'd be surprised if that would move at all with 34's. Figure out what the stock gears are first. Even if they're 4.10s you'll need to re-gear... and I don't know if they came any deeper than that stock.

It will be slower all around, bottom, top, 1st, 2nd, 3rd, etc.. If you can get it roll without totally destroying the clutch it won't be so bad, but it won't be very quick.

baddis

U.S. Military - Veteran
Solid Axle Swap
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Ford
Engine Size
4.0 Sohc 1.5 ecoboost
Transmission
Automatic
some of the broncos had 4.56 i know

quaallen

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
its a truck not a corvette. who needs to go fast. and i dont drive fast in the woods!!how do you guys think it will be in 4lo?? it should be just fine for that though right???

Hahnsb2

TRS Banner 2010-2011
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
88-95
Make / Model
Ford-Dodge
Engine Size
4.0-5.2 Turbo
Transmission
Manual
its a truck not a corvette. who needs to go fast. and i dont drive fast in the woods!!how do you guys think it will be in 4lo?? it should be just fine for that though right???
No, 4 low even sucked with 31s and 3.45 gears. Street driving sucked a fat one too. Do it right, swap in some 4.88s, you'll be glad you did.

quaallen

Reaction score
Transmission
Automatic
but the only concern i have with buying gears is that people on here do things TOO correct..what i mean is that some people on hear will say that i need to buy gears for my stock 28 and7.5 axels if i was too run 31inch tires...BUT i allready run 31s and i dont seem to see a problem..except till 4th it dogs a little..what gears would i get???i dont knowmuch about them do i just get a ring and pinnion or what??? the ranger will sometime have a v8 do you think i would have a problem with a v8 and 4speed???and if i was to buy gears then i want to get a set incase i go bigger then 34s...say 38s...so waht gears are good for a range of tire sizes?? thanks for all your help fellas i just dont wanna spend more money then is needed....thanks again

BIIHawg

December OTOTM Winner
OTOTM Winner
Reaction score
Vehicle Year
Make / Model
Ford
Transmission
Manual
I have 38x15.5x15 Ground Hawgs (very heavy tires) and 5.13's with a 2.9L/5 speed in my B2 right now. I don't use 5th gear any more but that is why I am in the process of a 4.0L swap. But it still does just fine in 4Lo

However, when I first lifted my truck I had 33x12.5x15 Claws and the same engine tranny sey up with 4.10 gears and my truck did just fine, especially in 4Lo. I used all 5 gears and still managed 120 on the highway and had no problem getting going. I never destroyed clutches, in fact I still have the same clutch.

But, if you do go with 34's and the 2.9L I do recommend at least 4.10's. Anything less and the truck will be sluggish in high range. I've seen 31's run plenty on any gear ratio (I had 31's and 3.45's) with no problems.

Just remember: If its a bush truck, 4Lo is always there for you. But if its a daily driver than a little lower gearing will make life easier.

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Staff online

Members online

Member & Vendor Upgrades

For a small yearly donation, you can support this forum and receive a 'Supporting Member' banner, or become a 'Supporting Vendor' and promote your products here. Click the banner to find out how.

Truck of The Month

Shran
April Truck of The Month

Recently Featured

Want to see your truck here? Share your photos and details in the forum.

Follow TRS On Instagram

TRS Events

25th Anniversary Sponsors

Check Out The TRS Store

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Sponsored Ad

Amazon Deals